Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 06:32 PM   #46
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
Excellent stuff guys. Sounds like an Adventure!
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #47
BRUTSQD
2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer: 231
Yes!

Great thread!!! Looks like you guys are having a blast. Next time in Telluride, hit brown dog pizza and be prepared to get emotional over the food. Also, not that it's a challenging trail but hit last dollar road for the ridiculous scenery and awesome camping. Lastly, Imogene pass is pretty exceptional, black bear pass is supposed to be amazing but the steps are notorious for people dumping their bikes in damaging ways so make sure you have strong backs with you. Great RR keep up the good work and try to hit a microbrew while you're out and about.
-T
"I never drive faster then I can see and besides that it's all in the reflexes." -JB
BRUTSQD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #48
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 154
+1 for Brown Dog.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2013, 05:21 AM   #49
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Don't have a lot to add about California and Corkscrew. The were beautiful.

This cabin was in an amazing place. Pretty tough climb to get up here from Eureka so I cannot imagine getting building materials to the site. Or how you come to own land in such a spot.

Jeep parade. I know they have every right to be there but damn they are slow. Most will let you around but there were a few that just seemed determined to block the road. The guy driving this white jeep gave me a death stare. Guess he didn't like being photographed.

John
Old 08-17-2013, 07:16 AM   #50
ROYAL COACHMAN
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 907
This is a great pic Kevin!!!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #51
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Oddometer: 331
California pass

Thanks glen,
I entered that picture in the MTF photo contest. Hopefully it will do good. (If the voting ever starts). I sure loved the cool weather up there!
I B A # 42258
toondebt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #52
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,013
Thansk Guys

Youse guys took some great pictures.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Blackbear AKA Black Air

The last day...Hard to beleive it is almost over. The plan for today was for John, Ron and myself to ride Blackbear pass. The rest of the group would ride Ophir Pass and meet us at the bottom of Blackbear. Then we would ride Immogene pass together.
The weather was the best that it had been all week. Clear, sunny and warm.
John, Ron and myself headed up 550 towards the Blackbear turnoff. We stopped just short of the turnoff to check the map.
Hey John! Does your front tire look low!? Yup......

John had the tire off and a new tube installed before we could get more than a few pictures. It looked like the stem had been pulled from the tube. Probably from his high speed trip down the hill earlier in the week when his bike decided to take off on it's own....
After the tire was fixed, we were off to blackbear. John took the lead followed by Ron then me. As we reached the treeline. there were a flock of sheep grazing all over the mountain. Little did I know, they were being gaurded by a VERY LARGE Sheep dog!! Out of nowhere, This VERY large dog began nipping at my leg! I would hit the gas and run up the back of Ron yelling...GO!.....GO!.....GO! He didn't hear or see a thing. John was busy trying not to get knocked over by the flock, and I was busy trying not to get ate!!! Finally the herd cleared the trail, and off we went. John and Ron totally unaware of my near miss with the dog from hell.
We reached the summit of blackbear in no time. It was a easy climb. We took out Johns tri pod and got a group photo...

Now we would head down to what we have been having nightmares about ALL WEEK....(thanks Andy for the videos)...

I think John was getting a "Before" Picture...

What came after this,

I do not have any pictures of.....
It was by FAR the most TERRIFYING place that I have EVER been. PERIOD!
We came up to the notorious "steps" . It is a section about 150 yards long. VERY steep. With loose shale and wet from the weeks rain. At the bottom of the steps, the trail makes a sharp turn to the right. If you don't make the turn, it's just a short 987 foot drop to the canyon below. I had read that a family had die just a few weeks before our trip on this very spot.
Before we could even access the hill, Ron takes off lickaty split. He is all over what trail there is. Bouncing like a bull rider. I swear I was going to watch him die!! Right as he reached the turn at the bottom, he laid the bike down....Thank God!!! Now Ron was on a bare bones 400. John and myself were on much heavyier 650's. I have rode with Ron before and rate him as a Much better rider than myself.......I'm walking my pig down this stretch! So with the engine off, in 1st gear, and feathering the clutch for control, down I go. I almost made it. About half way down, it started to get away from me. So I shoved the bike into the hillside to save mayself. Now I have some new soveniers on my rightside mirror.
As I reached the safety of the first switchback, I found John right behind me. We had made it down to here safe and sound.....

The next few miles were VERY steep and tight switchbacks. Some of them were so steep,tight and rocky that they were putting the fear of God into me!! Who's Idea was this Blackbear pass anyway???

We finally reach the bottom and meet the rest of the group. They had riden over Opher pass. It was a little tougher than they had thought. The rocks had left a lasting impression on a couple of them. They decided to take the paved road back to camp.
Gene,John, Ron and myself took off for Immogene Pass.........
I B A # 42258
Old 08-17-2013, 11:03 PM   #54
MaverickChick
I do my own stunts.

Oddometer: 457
Black Bear!! Nice work guys

One day I'll see it. I need to work on a rope system to anchor me to the mountain first
Old 08-18-2013, 06:02 AM   #55
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Kevin thanks for taking so many great pictures. I always intend to but never do. That flat tire was kinda weird. I hadn't felt any softness before we pulled over but by the time Kevin said something it was totally flat. Stem torn from the tube. The road across to Black Bear is a piece of cake to the pass except for all the dumb sheep which ran willy nilly back and forth on the road. I never saw it but we all had a good laugh about the sheep dog nipping at Kevin

It was uneventful until we got to the steps. Then it was "Oh shit what have we gotten into!!" Kevin and I walked down a ways to look things over. We had to ride our bikes back across the state to the truck so we couldn't have any major hiccups. Next thing I know here comes Ron!

I'd seen this view of the steps in a video Andy posted and thought piece of cake. First gear and ease down it. Well I'll tell you it's steeper than it looks and loose. If there was a place to recover after this section it would be very doable. But on a 650 dual sport I just wasn't willing to try it. Just walking back up to the bike winded me.

Ron mid slope. He was bouncing and sliding and the suspension was at full compression and full extension.

The result

So Kevin and I walked the bikes down. First gear and front brake. Most of the descent the back tire was just sliding along. Once around the curve about ten feet we hopped back on and down to the first switchback.

Then you had to cross the stream at the bottom of the waterfall from the steps. Ten feet to your right it went over the big fall. I got hung up on the next switchback with a big embedded rock that I target fixed on and had to work the bike around to get going again. The upper ten or twelve switch backs are short, steep and loose and very exposed on the downhill side. Once we got down to where Gene and the group were waiting we did a little victory dance.

You can see the switch backs getting shorter as they go up in this pic from Yankee Boy road

I'd been thinking about Black Bear for a couple years now and I'm glad I did it but I don't see any reason to do it again Next up and over Imogene our highest pass.

John
Old 08-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #56
MizzouRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,684
I think I'm pulling Black Bear "out" of the bucket list...
Whew,, good job guys for getting it done.
Maybe on a 250.. A man has to know his limitations..
IBA#32778 2008 R1200GSA 2007 G650XChallenge
No man is as good as he ought to be, and few men are as bad as they seem.. (from a early 1900s post card found in Perry, Missouri..)
MizzouRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #57
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Yeah this pic of Kevin's shows what you're up against. Very steep. My bike is tall and the steps are off camber to the outside. Any need to put my foot down on the outside and I'd be down. Watching Ron bounce convinced me. NAH! I'll walk.

John
Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #58
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Great report , guys. Black Bear is not that bad if you just keep it rolling and use the rear brake. Of course, I was only 55 when I shot this on my KLR.And it was dry! The other two with me walked them down.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM   #59
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

Blackbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomose View Post
Great report , guys. Black Bear is not that bad if you just keep it rolling and use the rear brake. Of course, I was only 55 when I shot this on my KLR.And it was dry! The other two with me walked them down.
Anyone who can ride this stretch has my respect. However, your signature line said it best....
I prefer a short life with width to a narrow one with length-Avicenna
I opt for a happy medium
I B A # 42258
Old 08-18-2013, 08:44 AM   #60
toondebt11 OP
ADVRIDERKEVIN

re wind....

Before I start on immogene, I want to back paddle to an event on the trip out. John and I had left my house early. The plan was to drive to Limon Colorado, get a room and leave early the next day for Silverton. The plan was going well....We made it to Limon, Got a room and checked in right before a large area of storms moved in. We had barely gotten the bags inside before the rain and storms started. We walked across the street for some food and beverages and to wait the rain out. the food was good, John had the chicken fried steak....YUM!
We walked back across the street in the rain, and got ready to hit the sack. As I'm laying there with my mind racing of the week to come, I suddenly think.....Were are my truck keys!?? We were in such a rush to unload and get out of the rain, (and get a cold beer or 3) I lost (misplaced) my keys.
So now it is 10:30,Saturday night, pouring rain, and no keys to continue the trip. I'm hoping I didn't drop them in the rain while running across the road to the Cafe. So we Get dressed and head back out into the dark rain. My first stop was to check the truck. YEA!! they are laying in the front seat! BOO....all of the doors are locked and my spare key is in the glovebox. I had planned to leave it with my host in Canon city where we were leaving the truck.
After retreiving a coat hanger from the front desk, and mulitple attempts to pry the doors,windows, and cusssing I give up.....
I call the Limon P.D. and they tell me that this "happens all the time" they will send an officer right over
He pulled up,, it's still raining. He shined his flashlight into the trunk, took a look, and said....no problem! He pulled his magical door tools from his trunk and had the door open in under 30 seconds!!
NOW we can go to bed!!!!
Spare key under the truck is NOW in place!
I B A # 42258