Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
At least in Argentina you are not going to have problemas finding tyres for the XR, but I would avoid them buying them here because they are very expensive and not worth it

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
Kcizik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
You pretty much can find what you need here. Basically the easiest to find are Kendas. I run them on my DRZ400 and there of shop to find them. Basically, don't be too picky. And plan on spending a day finding and fitting them.
Kcizik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #18
Acampao
WInd Jammer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthumper View Post
I'm riding my XR650L from Seattle to Argentina. I'm estimating 20-25 thousand miles by our route. I'm worried about the availability of tires along the way and how to find them. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to source tires and what the availability is along the way? Thanks!
In Chile, MotoAventura stocks Heidenaus. They have stores in Santiago, Osorno and Punta Arenas. Most other brands are also available, at least in Santiago.
 All that matters is timing.
Acampao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
!! Warning !! **thread hijack imminent**

OK, to inject something different here (that probably isn't worthy of its own thread):

My bike is packed into a shipping crate. It has one half-used Metzler Karoo II front, and a new on the rear.

Off the bike I have a set of Anakees (I believe).

Q: Which set of tires will I want to start with in the Santiago/Valpo area and expand outward from?

I haven't planned a route. I will probably start with 2-up riding northward from Valparaiso, over to Valle Maipu and then probably crossing the Andes to Argentina for wine tasting in Mendoza.

Return to Santiago to let my companion fly home, then probably into the desert, northbound.

Go with the streety tires for the 2-up, then back to knobbies for the Salar and desert land? Or, stick with the street setup until it is roached then go with knobbies when in Ecuador or Colombia?

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
Manolito
Patagonia guide

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Go with the streety tires for the 2-up, then back to knobbies for the Salar and desert land?
I would go with this one. Crossing the Andes means that you are going to ride on tarmac.
A friend of mine went to the Salar and it started raining. He was using Metzeler Tourance and fell like 8 times trying to get out of the mud.

Going to Ushuaia? Stop in Rio Gallegos and let's have a beer
Manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #21
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
Crossing the Andes means that you are going to ride on tarmac.
Not necessarily true. It all depends on what type of roads you seek out, and there are a lot of options. My wife and I crossed the Andes a few times, mostly on dirt. 2 examples: north of the major Libertadores crossing (paved road Santiago-Mendoza) at Aguas Negras, and south of Libertadores at Paso Icalma. We did cross at Libertadores once, too. More examples listed at the bottom of this page: http://motojeros.blogspot.com.ar/p/s...ica-andes.html

Even so, I still generally agree with your thoughts on tire selection. A more aggressive tire made a huge difference in mud and soft conditions, even 2 up. But we found more mud/soft stuff much further north and south than the Santiago-Mendoza region you're looking at.

FWIW, the best 2-up combination I found - balancing availability in Latin America, cost, tread wear, traction on and off road, and overall confidence - was an MT-21 front with MT-60 rear. (And believe me, I don't say that to start a which tire is best thread. I say that so that you have a reference for where my thoughts are coming from, as well as a specific combination and tread pattern to compare options to.)
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #22
bouldergeek
Filthy, poor KLR dweeb

Oddometer: 1,074
Thanks very much for these opinions.

I've never run anything but full knobbies on the KLR. They wear through pretty quickly, but i felt that they gave me more flexibility for wet offroad travel.

I have a VFR for my more road-oriented travel.

But, I have a feeling that when we are 2-up, I will just be on pavement. My companion is totally new to riding, and though she is adventurous, I think that our trip segment should be mellow and a good introduction for her. I'll pop on the road oriented tires, and keep the knobbies for the north of SA.

From the End of the Earth to the End of the Road: South Pole to the Darien
bouldergeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:39 PM   #23
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,938
Vinnie sold me on the mullet set up, knobbie up front and a DS tire in the rear. It extends your tire change interval by quite a bit. I typically used 2 MT21s to one rear, usually a 140 Scorpion, Karoo, Golden, etc..

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
+1 on the 21, my favorite front tire in Latin America and very good one for the money, the back just needs to be round and hold air for most of the riding Knobbies for the really good stuff

Flip that MT21 back and forth and it will wear to the cords evenly lasting long time.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM   #25
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
+1 on the 21, my favorite front tire in Latin America and very good one for the money, the back just needs to be round and hold air for most of the riding Knobbies for the really good stuff

Flip that MT21 back and forth and it will wear to the cords evenly lasting long time.
.. our first MT21 did 10647 km the second one did just 5000 km ... I think we got dud which makes that an expensive round.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
.. our first MT21 did 10647 km the second one did just 5000 km ... I think we got dud which makes that an expensive round.
Take it you didn't take the time to turn the tire in reverse rotation every 2/3k km either. You can be lazy about making a knobbie last, maybe you've been riding way too much of the pavement then
Old 08-29-2013, 11:47 AM   #27
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemeister View Post
maybe you've been riding way too much of the pavement then
Two up with luggage on a big twin, nothing's going to last a LONG time.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #28
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,382
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Stigo View Post
Adventure Cartel has very good prices on HEIDENAU & BRIDGESTONE. With METZELER & PIRELLI coming soon.

Write to adventurecartel@gmail.com

EL Stigo

Two friends of mine lost their sprocket on a BMW 650 somewhere in Chihuahua.

The Adventure Cartel bought the new sprockets and chain shipped it out to my friends and had everything done and delivered in 36 hours

Great job , mi amigo !!!!

Hasta pronto
Old 09-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #29
Bemeve
Looking a R1200GS Adv

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanthumper View Post
I'm riding my XR650L from Seattle to Argentina. I'm estimating 20-25 thousand miles by our route. I'm worried about the availability of tires along the way and how to find them. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to source tires and what the availability is along the way? Thanks!

Hello,
You can find Michelin Anakee II, Continental TKC 80 and Heidenau K60 Scout tires in Touratech Peru

Address : Av Los Faisanes # 196 - Chorrillos / Lima
Email : ventas@motoviajerosperu.com
GPS Location: S 12° 10' 860" W 077° 00' 122"

Cheers,

Ivan Guerrero
Lima - Peru