ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Bikaholic51 OP
Electric Kaiser

Oddometer: 433
Palm springs Area Riding Partner / information

I will be visiting Palm Springs in Feb. If anybody wants to ride let me know. I am still debating which bike to bring. Leaning toward the /5 since I will be using it a lot around town too. Changing the oil in the 1200GS just in case I change my mind.

What are the temp variations in the mountains around there. That will help make the decision too since the /5 is naked. Hope to find some good roads and riding in the area. Love back gravel roads when possible /5 will handle them with ease.

Can not wait to get out of this Midwest Winter.

88 R100RT-82 R100S-72 R75/5-70 R75/5 hack
Bikaholic51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:33 AM   #2
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikaholic51 View Post
I will be visiting Palm Springs in Feb. If anybody wants to ride let me know. I am still debating which bike to bring. Leaning toward the /5 since I will be using it a lot around town too. Changing the oil in the 1200GS just in case I change my mind.

What are the temp variations in the mountains around there. That will help make the decision too since the /5 is naked. Hope to find some good roads and riding in the area. Love back gravel roads when possible /5 will handle them with ease.

Can not wait to get out of this Midwest Winter.

I'd go with the 1200 with TKC 80s or comparable knobby tire.

Strange this year weather. Very warm. That said, you can go from negative elevation to 7,000+ ft elevation in no time.

Time of day has a huge influence here. Daily temperature fluctuations in the desert equal heat/cold waves everywhere else. On a sunny afternoon, shorts and t-shirt with sandles riding. Other times you will want your electric heated clothing.

You won't find gravel roads. Think more dirt and sand.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
TrophyHunter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,882
Toro Peak is a good ride. Out the south side of PS, up the hill, then dirt to 8700 feet. Back down then N to Idyllwild and maybe some dirt back on Thomas Mountain. Depending on the weather as mentioned.

If it's a little cool at elevation, Joshua Tree has some nice scenery and a ride out past Salton Sea with a loop through the desert...?

Desert USA has some good stuff in the CA section.

I couldn't get the map to do the dirt, but there's good stuff between Anza and Warner Springs Connect A to B

Depending on your skill level - all GSable but maybe more comfortable on a smaller bike in some of the dirt areas.

"It's a small amount of gas, but it represents a long walk" My Dad...
TrophyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,116
I'll be around for the first half of the month (heading to Baja on 2/20). Like Wally, I'd say bring the GS but I'd say more of a 50/50 tire like a Heidenau so you could have more fun on the twisty paved stuff. However, you'll suffer a bit if you end up on some sand. The mountain roads already mentioned are fun and the mountain weather is, well, mountain weather. At the moment, mornings are chilly but days are awesome. No snow to speak of as a drought is on . But that could change in a day since it's mountain weather. There are lots of low desert roads which can vary from some sand to lots of sand. Depending on your sand skills, you'd probably want a knobbier front tire at the least if you plan on riding those roads. I'm retired now so I'm always up for a ride.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM   #5
Ol Man
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
I rode the Palms to Pines yesterday and the weather was PERFECT. It was in the 80s before noon in Palm Springs and in the 60s on the top. Had a nice lunch in Idyllwild.

There are some good places to visit in the area as already noted. Who knows what February will bring. Those of us in the west sure hope for rain and lots of it.
Ol Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #6
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Drop me a note when you get here - we look like we have some common interests and style. I'm here to the end of February. This is my 4th year, so I've been on a few roads.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #7
Bikaholic51 OP
Electric Kaiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Drop me a note when you get here - we look like we have some common interests and style. I'm here to the end of February. This is my 4th year, so I've been on a few roads.
Sounds good. What kind of bike do you ride. Paved and dirt road? My GS has 80/20 tires so will not be doing much sand riding. this beast is a mother to pick up. Looking for a used dualsport to throw around in the sand and dirt for a couple of years.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
KTM 990 - just put 70/30 tires on it, so mostly looking for scenic twisty pavement (luckily there's no shortage), and the occasional easy dirt road. Deep sand not much fun on the big big bike with slippy tires (not to speak of my skill level) And I really don't want to get injured away from home in the US health system.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:50 AM   #9
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 938
Bring the GS. I got one also and would be up for a ride while you are here. Self employees so I came ride pretty much whenever.
Old 01-25-2014, 06:37 AM   #10
Bikaholic51 OP
Electric Kaiser

Sounds good. GS is ready to go with new rubber and oil. Highs when I leave here are supposed to me sub zero. Nice thing about cold weather like that is it is usually clear and sunny. Loading the trailer today. Schivtzing at a City spa with the kid and freinds tomorrow. Will see how long I can last in the dry heat. Google Schvitz and if you get a chance try it.

I will PM you guys with my number. Fun fun fun.