ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Oddometer: 2,447
3 day loop near Phoenix Flagstaff on rental?

Will be in Phoenix and then Flagstaff area end of March. Not enough time to trailer or ride bike out, so I'm considering renting a vstrom for a 2-3 day loop.

Would be a rental and with wife on pillion, so I'd like to keep it dirty but sane.

Camping or B&B mixed in would be nice.

Suggestions on where to go?

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 295
Az loop to Flagstaff

I give these ideas with the knowledge that snow will fall this weekend, and can at anytime up here at 7000'. I have done this loop the first weekend in April and got caught in 9" of new snow in the Greer area, and took 180 into New Mexico to wait until plows cleaned 191(666) to return to Greer.
This is also a 4 day trip, but you could stay at Grand Canyon instead of Flagstaff or cut the GCN part???
Phoenix
Safford (hwy.60/70)
Alpine (191)
Pinetop (260) miles 340

Payson (260)
Flagstaff (FH 3 or 487? now) miles 225

Wupatki Nat Park
Cameron (89)
Grand Canyon N P (64)
Flagstaff (180) miles 200

Sedona (89)
Prescott
Wickenburg
Phoenix (via 74) miles 220

These are great roads and a blast on a bike. Much above 4000' to 9000' hence the snow warning.
Annother option is Globe to Pinetop and skip 191(550 switchbacks in 100 miles)
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Allen
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer
I give these ideas with the knowledge that snow will fall this weekend, and can at anytime up here at 7000'. I have done this loop the first weekend in April and got caught in 9" of new snow in the Greer area, and took 180 into New Mexico to wait until plows cleaned 191(666) to return to Greer.
This is also a 4 day trip, but you could stay at Grand Canyon instead of Flagstaff or cut the GCN part???
Phoenix
Safford (hwy.60/70)
Alpine (191)
Pinetop (260) miles 340

Payson (260)
Flagstaff (FH 3 or 487? now) miles 225

Wupatki Nat Park
Cameron (89)
Grand Canyon N P (64)
Flagstaff (180) miles 200

Sedona (89)
Prescott
Wickenburg
Phoenix (via 74) miles 220

These are great roads and a blast on a bike. Much above 4000' to 9000' hence the snow warning.
Annother option is Globe to Pinetop and skip 191(550 switchbacks in 100 miles)
Hope this gives you some ideas.
Allen
Ideas I got. Thanks for putting some numbers to them I'll dig around your suggestions

More homework to be done, but any bump-starts are welcome.

Cheers!

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Old 03-13-2008, 11:28 AM   #4
MotorbikeMike
Hightech Redneck

Oddometer: 15
Laugh Good time to go south...

HeyMan,
good riding this time of year....
I have had a couple of nice weekends here latley and have been doing some long loops down south...from Phoenix toward tuscon or west.
There are some very nice old missions to visit Tumacacori, San Xavier del Bac, and a little community called Tubac
http://www.nps.gov/tuma/
http://www.sanxaviermission.org/
http://www.tubacaz.com/

Last weekend I ended up on this great trail, the Anza-Borrego trail that goes from Mexico, across AZ and all the way up the coast as far as Santa Barbara, this would be the route that was cut when many of these first missions were settled. Also, this same route was used by the pony express running mail from yuma to tuscon and phoenix...the Butterfield stage coach line used this as well. Great enduro, nothing to bad, some light technical places and tons of flowers. Perfect pristime desert. I did a section south of the Estrella mountains and west of phoenix ending up in Gila Bend.
Also, there are some fantastically hip routes around phoenix that are really good....up over Four Peaks and then down the famous Apache Trail, that's a full day ride for sure almost all dirt and nothing to motoX.
Let me know if youare interested and need more information.
Also, Bisbee AZ is an awesome 3.5 hour ride and lots of enduro options around that area.
enjoy! the time is right and the weather is tight right now for a good ride...
MotorbikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Lucky Explorer
Traveled the world

Oddometer: 295
I missed the 'keep it dirty' part!!! sorry. FYI, FS roads up here are mostly closed for the winter until they dry out. We are finally having a normal winter snow load and things are wet and muddy.
From Phoenix go to Cave Creek and north on FS 24, pickup 269 to Cordes jct and I-17. Take the Dugas road west to Orem and up to hwy 169. Now if you go towards Cherry and follow the Great Western Trail signs that take you towards Jerome, a good lunch stop, at the Haunted Hamburger. I would stick to 89A and 89 to Sedona and up to Flag. I really think the roads will still be closed for the most part and if open a mess for the strom. I am not really sure you can get thru after Cherry.
Another thought is 88, the Apache trail out of Phx to 188, then up to Young on 188, picking up 512 to the Rim rd. 260 and over to Payson. Might not make it north out of Young!
I am sorry I didn't see the dirty part of your message as I gave you an all paved routing. Now if you wanted to go south instead of Flagstaff, much is available to Tombstone, Patagonia, etc.
Lucky Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:53 AM   #6
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Explorer
I missed the 'keep it dirty' part!!! sorry. FYI, FS roads up here are mostly closed for the winter until they dry out. We are finally having a normal winter snow load and things are wet and muddy.
From Phoenix go to Cave Creek and north on FS 24, pickup 269 to Cordes jct and I-17. Take the Dugas road west to Orem and up to hwy 169. Now if you go towards Cherry and follow the Great Western Trail signs that take you towards Jerome, a good lunch stop, at the Haunted Hamburger. I would stick to 89A and 89 to Sedona and up to Flag. I really think the roads will still be closed for the most part and if open a mess for the strom. I am not really sure you can get thru after Cherry.
Another thought is 88, the Apache trail out of Phx to 188, then up to Young on 188, picking up 512 to the Rim rd. 260 and over to Payson. Might not make it north out of Young!
I am sorry I didn't see the dirty part of your message as I gave you an all paved routing. Now if you wanted to go south instead of Flagstaff, much is available to Tombstone, Patagonia, etc.
Thanks all...

Now worries on dirt part. We're not too hung up on it - just seems like a possible way to get away from crowds. We also backpack, so it was a thought that we might combine dirt w/sleeping under the stars. But with a rental, limited 2-up dirt experience, and limited time, I'm def not looking for singletrack or much snowmelt .

Only 2-up bike I can find that is allowed on dirt is the liter-strom. 1200GS's aren't even allowed on 2-lane dirt . Couldn't find anyone with a KLR to rent . for the cost of 3-4 days rental I can ship my bike one-way. Wish I had time to ride it back - it's a looong way back to Virginie.

I'll do my homework over the next week or so and then perhaps follow-up with some specific quez and wx inquiries.

Thanks again!

Twain
Old 03-14-2008, 10:47 PM   #7
DirtyDog
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 6,935
i assume you checked with these guys on renting a KLR?
LINK
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:26 AM   #8
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDog
i assume you checked with these guys on renting a KLR?
LINK
Yep. They used to have one. Got rid of it for some reason. For dirt it's down to the Strom...

Twain
Old 03-15-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 365
how about these guys?

http://www.azride.com/default.asp
'09 Vespa GTS 250
AZuwere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 01:47 PM   #10
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZuwere
how about these guys?

http://www.azride.com/default.asp
Nothing you can 2-up dirty. R1200GS's but they aren't allowed to play in the dirt .

Hard to believe someone hasn't bought a pair of old KLR's and set them up for off-road rentals. Seems like they'd pay for themselves in little time. What do I know...

Twain
Old 03-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #11
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

So you're sayin' they have in their contract or policies that you can't ride them on dirt roads?

I think I've found a business opportunity here!
'09 Vespa GTS 250
Old 03-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #12
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZuwere
So you're sayin' they have in their contract or policies that you can't ride them on dirt roads?

I think I've found a business opportunity here!
Unless I misunderstood the woman I spoke with, yes - you are NOT allowed to take them offroad. I'll prob be calling back to confirm details, before I commit to any bike.

I'm not a business person, but I'd think a couple of old KLR's would be cheap to keep and easy to rent. Rentals are 2-3x what it cost to rent a car!!

Twain
Old 03-16-2008, 06:53 AM   #13
AZuwere
Gnarly Adventurer

Yea, check them again. It is odd that right in their bike description they mention how much fun some of the models are in the dirt. Then they would turn around and say "no dirt roads"?

Kind of wierd...
'09 Vespa GTS 250
Old 03-18-2008, 05:41 PM   #14
azmedic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Whatever you decide to ride watch the cinders and dirt on the roads. We use cinders on the roads to help with traction instead of salt style ice removers. The residue is still on all the roads. More so on the side roads. I've started taking patients to the hospital with road rash already this season.
It was 17 degrees here in Flagstaff this morning with 25 MPH winds by afternoon. High this week is in mid fifties. Not gonna be much different in a few weeks. Just something to keep in mind for trip planning. I have my winter gloves for the morning and standard gloves for afternoon.
Any questions you can PM me.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Gimmeslack OP
furthur

Arizona on GS!

Ok, the week's been scheduled and of course the bike days dwindled to two but my beloved encouraged me to rent a GS so who's complaining .

First week of My I pick up bike in Scottsdale an will have two full days to ride out and around. Maintained dirt is "legal" off-road is not. Rental folks recommend heading up to Sedona, which is of course beautiful, but probably packed by first week of May?

I'd be happy for some input on a nice 2day jaunt out and back from Scottsdale. If needed the night "out" could be hotel, B&B, or even a tent in the desert. We'll have gear for backpacking so that's of interest...

Twain