Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #1
Vanquish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
The most unresponsive motorcycle I ever had was a ...

I thought this would be a great thread for those with a good sense of humour. We here so often of how fast some bikes are, how modified others are & how capable yet others are but we seldom here of the dark horses of the motorcycling world - the slo jos !

In my experience the most unresponsive bike I ever had was a Kawasaki LTD 250 - bought on a whim one fine Sunday afternoon from a bloke who was selling it in the smalls. I did the mandatory test ride around the block (big mistake - should have done a much longer ride) & everything was just groovy - well it would be on dead level ground. Thinking that this would be an ideal 2nd bike to my GSX @ the time the deal was done !

Well, a cruiser style, small diameter tyres & an asthmatic single cylinder did not make for exciting riding. The best part was an aftermarket pipe but this in no way harmonised with the performance.

Travelling anywhere other than down my driveway was a hazardous, exhausting exercise. Given it's exteremely low seat & really dull performance one spent much time looking @ the wheel nuts of cagers & completely & utterly lacking the power to get away from them (even my Chinese 200cc dual purpose flight of fantasy was a bullet next to this one). Thus one completed a journey in something akin to a Scandanavian Sauna (never been on a bike this hot), sweating like anything, overpowered by diesel & petrol fumes from the cars & trucks around you & basically collapsed @ your destination with a comprehensive pain in your back from the lousy seating position.

It was not long before I did the right thing: took a knock @ flogged it to a dealer & continued with just one bike - the GSX !
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,697
Worst ride EVER. M109R
Old 08-14-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
It wasn't mine I was fixing it up for a friend..1980 Honda CX500 Custom. I liked the engine design but it had very little power for a 500....it may have been do to its age and condition.....it was pretty beat up but ran.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
Gizzaride
Banned

Oddometer: 191
My worst ride (but it's prolly worth a few $$$'s now!) was a British AJS 350 single when 3 or 4 of us co-owned it after one of their fathers gave it to us when we were about 14yrs old!!!
The fkin thing would never start (prolly why he gave it to us!) & we knew completely nothing about engines or how to repair them, & worst of all.....
.......it was a kickstart!!!!

PS, "Hello" tp my bitch followers from the basement, you are easier to catch than trout from the hatchery!!!
Gizzaride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:18 AM   #5
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,729
1966 BSA 250 Starfire. Absolute POS. Couldn't pull the skin off a pudding.
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,163
1982 gl1100

I thought it was a good looking boat; but it sounded gutless, pinging, and stuttering off the line. I felt it was under-powered for the weight.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,451
'78 Yamaha XS750. I suppose there are worse unresponsive bikes but that was mine. Of course I kept it for 70,000+ miles - so I know how unresponsive it was.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,822
Centaur Suitcase Scooter. 40 mph my ass!

It did fold into a nice little bench that would fit in the trunk of a car. We sold it to a guy who did just that, because he didn't have a spare tire.

High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #9
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 367
The first bmw f650, it was red back in 94.....what a dog. I crashed on it .....in my driveway!
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
echo15
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
1966 BSA Lightning. My friend's dad was going to race her, got the engine done up (did the cam, high compression pistons, etc) then lost interest & sold it to me for $200 (1972 dollars). Well, she ran like a scalded dog (way too fast for a first bike), but was totally unreliable; I carried at least 6 sparkplugs with me everywhere I went just to be sure of making it home. The electrics made the stock Lucas bits seem first rate.
Took great pains to always park her on a hill so I could bump-start her, but never worried about anyone else riding her off, 'cause with all that compression, she could break your leg or throw you over the bars if you didn't know exactly how to kick her over.
I know it's insane, but I wish I had her now.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #11
TigerMike
boob

Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
1966 BSA 250 Starfire. Absolute POS. Couldn't pull the skin off a pudding.
Had the Triumph equivalent - TR25W. Slower than a boat on a frozen lake.
TigerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,230
Honda .
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #13
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,763
I was on a test ride and rode a Buell 500cc (can't remember the name). I was 2nd from the lead rider and we entered a highway going 120kmph (speed limit 120). I had the thing totally pinned and couldn't get 110. I waved the other riders past as I was reaching with my left hand and slapping the rear of the seat like a jockey would on a horse.

What a weak pos that was..

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:14 PM   #14
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
98 Ninja 250. it was uncrashable. You could roll the throttle to the stop at full lean and all it would do is make more noise.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #15
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
I was on a test ride and rode a Buell 500cc (can't remember the name). I was 2nd from the lead rider and we entered a highway going 120kmph (speed limit 120). I had the thing totally pinned and couldn't get 110. I waved the other riders past as I was reaching with my left hand and slapping the rear of the seat like a jockey would on a horse.

What a weak pos that was..
That was the Blast. I rode one once. It affected me so deeply that I wrote a poem about it. I'll share it with you guys.

"The Blast" by Jim Moore

The Blast,
Sucks ass.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote