ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #31
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
Its funny reading threads like this, most of the bikes I have owned would be considered "dogs" by a lot of riders, but going fast simply isn't what riding is all about for me. I judge a bike by its overall experience, the bottom of my list was the 883 sportster, fast enough for me but everything about it felt awkward. The few sport bikes I owned were fast, but useless for everything else, making them "dogs" in my book.
That's an excellent point. And by that criteria I renominate my already mentioned '78 Yamaha XS750, and also elevate to the podium for a very close silver medalist my (former) '08 KLR.

After 20-25 bikes I find it interesting that I haven't come up with a third place bronze medalist for "all around" unresponsivess. I guess I've been fortunate in mostly picking bikes that suite me.
chazbird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 PM   #32
Moto_Muffin
Motorcycle Muffin
 
Moto_Muffin's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: North Central Massachusetts
Oddometer: 287
A "new" Royal Enfield. Oh my god, I wasn't sure it'd make it through the test ride. When I brought it back it was making quite a lot more valve noise than it was when I first started it. Frightening. I don't weigh that much and the roads weren't that bumpy but I was bottoming the suspension.
__________________
'01 Black R1100S "Rosie"
'08 KLR650 "Bruce"
'00 Honda Valkyrie "Brunnhilde"
Moto_Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM   #33
k12lts
Gnarly Adventurer
 
k12lts's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Indiana
Oddometer: 333
I had a 1977 Honda CB750A (Automatic)

The 2 speed automatic was bullet proof but didn't help performance.
__________________
Andy
2009 BMW R1200RT
2011 Ural Patrol
1981 BMW R100RS
2006 KLR 650
k12lts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #34
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 3,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
That was the Blast. I rode one once. It affected me so deeply that I wrote a poem about it. I'll share it with you guys.

"The Blast" by Jim Moore

The Blast,
Sucks ass.
That's the one.... thanks for the laugh
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #35
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer
 
orangebear's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: dumfrie scotland
Oddometer: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Muffin View Post
A "new" Royal Enfield. Oh my god, I wasn't sure it'd make it through the test ride. When I brought it back it was making quite a lot more valve noise than it was when I first started it. Frightening. I don't weigh that much and the roads weren't that bumpy but I was bottoming the suspension.
I know proper Brit enfields have shocking brakes but have a great 750 twin and ride well.
__________________
bmw r100gs i ride it all year round
bmw r100/7 x2 sold
road legal stomp pitbike sold
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
waveydavey
happy times!!
 
waveydavey's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2005
Location: Pulling dragons from the ground again
Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G. View Post
1966 BSA 250 Starfire. Absolute POS. Couldn't pull the skin off a pudding.

I concur, I had one as well and I think I still have the magazine (Cycle World?) review of it that featured a picture of the bike with a live turkey perched on the seat. The caption read "What's a nice turkey like you doing on a turkey like that."

My Honda S90 had more power than that thing did.
__________________
"...once the honey was gone he wandered off, farting and too soon satisfied."



FUCK CANCER!!!!
waveydavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #37
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
Centaur Suitcase Scooter. 40 mph my ass!

It did fold into a nice little bench that would fit in the trunk of a car. We sold it to a guy who did just that, because he didn't have a spare tire.


Those were great for their intended purpose though. A private pilot would stow it in his airplane so he would have in-town transportation at the other end of the flight.
k-moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:52 PM   #38
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Logan,wv
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
1979 Honda CM400. I owned one for a short period. It was friendly to a flaw, and without anything at all remarkable to comment on. Even as a fairly green biker, I found it dull. My next bike, a '78 Suzuki GS400 had virtually the same specs, but managed to assemble them in a far more exciting and taut package.

The CM should have come with a Barney doll in the pillion.
i daily a 81cm400e drum brakes front and rear
but with a cm450e motor that makes a whooping 7 more hp and has a 6 speed.
makes all the difference. but still doesnt like to be tossed hard. fun little bike but runs out of steam above 75mph in 6th.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #39
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,781
Airhead love

1976 R75/6 No two ways about it,a toad of a bike. My test is that a full size streetbike has to out pull my DR650 up a hill,not hardly.

It couldnt get out of it's own way if it was being towed,I know they are pure street cred and full of character and German chutzpa.

I think when they were built they were meant to be sensible get around transportation,like a station wagon.

Shift like an old tractor,weak suck brakes,clanking suspension,slow revving/slow bike. Handle like the rubber cow they are famed to be.

Like all bikes,I learned from it.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #40
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging
 
Canuman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: The Palace of the People, VT
Oddometer: 4,599
I suspect that the six speed makes the difference. It did on the Suzuki. I had nothing against the Honda, but it didn't have any emotional hook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvtaco View Post
i daily a 81cm400e drum brakes front and rear
but with a cm450e motor that makes a whooping 7 more hp and has a 6 speed.
makes all the difference. but still doesnt like to be tossed hard. fun little bike but runs out of steam above 75mph in 6th.
__________________
The Rock 2013 RR
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915172
Dual Sport Luggage Racks: http://www.moto-racks.com
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)

Canuman screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:44 PM
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #41
Kikemon
Poseur
 
Kikemon's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, Oregon
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
Its funny reading threads like this, most of the bikes I have owned would be considered "dogs" by a lot of riders, but going fast simply isn't what riding is all about for me. I judge a bike by its overall experience, the bottom of my list was the 883 sportster, fast enough for me but everything about it felt awkward.
The few sport bikes I owned were fast, but useless for everything else, making them "dogs" in my book.
I kindasorta agree but.. part of the equation that I think a lot of us like is acceleration - whether in a straight line or angular acceleration from taking a curve. If a bike cannot overcome its own weight and out accelerate a Pinto or go around a curve better than a minivan, then I am not interested. I tried really hard to love a BMW R65LS one time. It looked fast at least...
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:08 AM   #42
wvtaco
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Logan,wv
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuman View Post
I suspect that the six speed makes the difference. It did on the Suzuki. I had nothing against the Honda, but it didn't have any emotional hook.
I agree great machine that can take a beating but no wow factor.
yea i put 12k on the 400 before i over reved it and it tossed a balancing chain, now i have about 5k on this 450 and it is a different machine.

most boring my 2006 honda shadow 600 deluxe a 600cc crusier with a 4 speed.
wvtaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #43
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikemon View Post
I kindasorta agree but.. part of the equation that I think a lot of us like is acceleration - whether in a straight line or angular acceleration from taking a curve. If a bike cannot overcome its own weight and out accelerate a Pinto or go around a curve better than a minivan, then I am not interested. I tried really hard to love a BMW R65LS one time. It looked fast at least...
My Ural is the slowest bike I have owned, about what you would expect from a 200cc scooter, yet it has been the most enjoyable bike I have owned, but sidecars in general and Urals specifically are a unique experience.
For two wheelers, a well rounded standard does it for me. the 1969 CB750 is one that really stands out for me, another was a RZ350.
Bikes that were well balanced, they didn't excell at anything in particular, but had no undesirable characteristics.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #44
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Dearborn, MI
Oddometer: 5,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveydavey View Post
I concur, I had one as well and I think I still have the magazine (Cycle World?) review of it that featured a picture of the bike with a live turkey perched on the seat. The caption read "What's a nice turkey like you doing on a turkey like that."

My Honda S90 had more power than that thing did.
When the AMA ran pro indoor flat track for 250s, those engines were used by the BSA and Triumph riders, usually in Trackmaster and Sonic Weld frames. I still have the factory manual on how to set the engines up and a brand new hard face racing camshaft and special tappets.
__________________
10 Ducati 1098 Streetfighter S - "Sleipnir"
09 Kaw Versys
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
"The problem with Socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money" _____ Margaret Thatcher
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Somehwere in the Utah Valley
Oddometer: 300
my first motorcycle.

Honda GL500 Silverwing Interstate, Not.

The Interstate part that is. After I was forced to draft the semi's on my way down Interstate 15 from Utah in order to avoid getting run over by the semi's, I committed to getting a new motorcycle. Every bike (4) I've had since then has been nicely responsive.

I have had some atypical test ride experiences though. A brand new Guzzi went all unresponsive on me during a test ride, vapor lock. Another test ride had me on a KTM 950 Adventurer that had the absolute worst throttle response I've ever encountered. Closest thing I've experienced to "coming on the pipe", having never ridden a two stroke. The fuel map was messed up (IIRC, first shot at EFI by KTM) and the throttle cable wasn't correctly adjusted.

It may come as no surprise, but I didna buy either bike...
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014