Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #46
Huzband
Team Dirt

Oddometer: 3,997
A Montesa Cota 123. OMG, I had never, nor ever since 1972, ridden such an under powered POS in all my life. I was an expert trials rider at age 15, maybe 135 lbs. This excuse for a trials bike couldn't get me over a four foot rock with a mild slope on approach. I tried twice. My late Mom had 8mm evidence, but it got lost somehow.

But I still remember that day.
'90 RM250
IBA #30344
Huzband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:04 AM   #47
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,318
A 1984 Honda GoldWing.... What a barge. That best describes it. It was my wife's favorite bike though.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #48
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Sportster. What a piece o crap. It ran like it should. But a 550 lb bike with 45 HP? And disc brakes that took 2 hands to make it slow down. Suspension that bottomed when going over that 1 inch lip going into a driveway? And it wasn't beat or wore out, it had 9000 miles on it and was all stock.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #49
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,985
My buddies father in law bought a 250 Vento,a little v-twin in the Virago mold. He bragged about how well it ran and wanted us to ride it and see what we thought. Well my friend came back and said to me it was pathetic and we started checking it out and found the fr exhaust pipe to be cold. Knowing nothing about this China crap we assumed it had a fake cylinder so as to look like a v-twin but after a little searching on the web found out it was a true V and that the coil for the fr cyl was no good. After replacing the coil it was still a pig but his Father in law thought it was a rocket.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #50
FBB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Laugh Honda CM 200 Twinstar

I was an MSF instructor for 12 years and we would get various and assorted bikes from dealers for the beginner course.

Part of the deal for the free bikes was if a student expressed interest in a particular bike we would tell them where they could buy it and make appropriate recommendations if we thought it would work for them, etc.

I could do that with most the bikes with a clear conscience as they were normally decent starter bikes.

The dealer for the Twinstars (and others)was 45 miles away and we would occasionally have to ride a given bike back to them for service, swap out or whatever. Usually a fun thing as you get to ride the different bikes on the road versus the confines of the course. NO ONE wanted to ride that thing as we had to get on a highway and get up to 65 mph. It would get there (eventually) but that was max throttle and a tailwind. God help you if you had a head wind or had to slow for whatever reason and then try to speed up again.

I dreaded when someone that rode the Twinstar in class expressed an interest in it and wanted my opinion as I never found any redeeming value in it and have never been a good liar.
FBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #51
k woo
308Master

Oddometer: 83
Bluhduh

HD Sportster. Absolute crap. I doubt it could outrun an early 80's model Chrysler K Car with a 4 cylinder automatic that was pulling a trailer.
k woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #52
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,855
Early 80's Yamaha RX50

A friend had one of these in HS and let me have a go on it. Now in HS I weighed about 125 lbs and this lil bike did 0-20 pretty decently. I was being pretty tentative with the throttle considering this was the first 2 stroke I had ridden.....well I needn't have worried. From 25% all the way to full throttle there was no difference in acceleration...only a slightly different tone from the intake.

The throttle really could have been a light switch on this and it would not have ridden any differently.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:27 AM   #53
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 582
My first bike was a Blast. though gutless, I wouldn't call it unresponsive. Like most Buells it was top speed limited by gearing rather than power so when you got to 94 mph, it wasn't going any faster no matter how hard you whipped it. I guess Erik wasn't going to compromise for not having a 6th gear. Pegs scraped at 30 degrees of lean and it came in a hurry that bike is nimble as a fruitfly.
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #54
Seth650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
Well any one of my bikes where I let the battery go without recharging in the Winter, became unresponsive.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #55
p0diabl0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
No one mentions a KLR????????????????

Chris
I'll go with a KLR. Handles like a wet noodle, even after suspension upgrades. Can barely stop, even after brake upgrades. I can deal with the slowness, I ride a TW200 now
p0diabl0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #56
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,529
My 1982 Yamaha XT125. It seems like when I was a kid, it had some power.. but now I compare it to trying to ride a sponge, really soft and really slow. Surely there's something wrong with it.

Now mine, but the Honda Rebel I took the MSF BRC on. What a turd!

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:51 AM   #57
hippiebrian
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I'll go with a KLR. Handles like a wet noodle, even after suspension upgrades. Can barely stop, even after brake upgrades. I can deal with the slowness, I ride a TW200 now
Yup. And I love mine! I'll take rock solid reliability over speed any day!
hippiebrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #58
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjsgptx View Post
No one mentions a KLR????????????????

Chris
I perfected the art of angling my upper body into the air blast as I passed trucks.

Also got rid of the front sail AKA fender to try and minimize the lane deviation from crosswinds. Dodge Grabber Green is the same color so I painted it. Actually was a good mod, but too pricy for most KLR riders to consider - believe it was $20.

What did the KLR in for me was going to the MSF ARC. It took me at least 5' more to stop from 30mph than anything else there. It was fun riding around the city on a Preying Mantis but the V-Strom was a better fit for my use.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #59
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
My old klr 650c I think was shit

It had bad vibs at speed. Tiny 15l tank and the bike total weight mean if it fell over it took too people to lift it. No dipstick so it had to be held up right as you fill the oil to the top of the glass on the side of the block. Plus I lost loads of money sell it .

Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM   #60
Vanquish OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thanks for keeping the thread going guys. It is interesting to note that there are some repeat offenders like the HD Sportster and the Kawasaki KLR 650. In retrospect I am really chuffed that I didn't pick up a KLR as I made my transition from sports bikes to adventurer dual sport - I came within a hair's breadth of taking a new spec red KLR. The ungainly height thankfully switched me off as I only just managed to plant both feet on terra firma, not an arrangement I felt comfortable with.
Vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote