User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2005, 05:39 PM   #1
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,881
a quick tour of Idaho

Last tuesday I was being hassled by customers and decided to take a few days off. IDC was on, that gives me a goal. So about 4pm I start loading up figuring a way to carry everything. By Midnight I've got everything tied on, It ain't pretty but I figure it will hold together.
Off at the break of dawn...right.
Troy...Julietta...breakfast at Peck...Kooskia...Grangeville...etc. down 95 to Banks thru Placerville to Idaho City. Nice ride.
I've been lurking here for a few weeks. Now it's face to face with the asylum. Don't look them directly in the eye. If you're real careful they won't attack.
Guess what? They are just ordinary guys. Fat, skinny, old, young, minimalists, gadget freaks. My "kit" was much admired and I enjoyed swapping lies. After the teapot went around a few times and the cobbler with home made ice-cream was gone the crowd started to thin out. What a bunch of lightweights, it was only 1 am.
The next morn people started drifting away. I was dissapointed not to get to ride any trails. I'm trying to decide where to ride. I've been over most of Idaho"s hwys but never seen Sun Valley.
East we go. Galena Pass (8700ft) is gorgeous, like a disney picture. Nice roads to Hailey and Ketchum but it I had a couple of days with a D-9 I could improve those towns a lot.
I spent a couple of hours touring and hiking at Craters of the Moon. There was still snow in one cinder cone. No rooms at Arco so I press north on 93. Each village inn says NO VACANCY.
I eventually just pull over and set up camp at a turnout. A full mountain range between me and any village. At least a 100mi to any town. The stars were spectacular. The dirt was soft. The Sagebrush was pungent. Life is good.
I breakfast at Challis and keep heading North.
In the back of my mind this little worm has been gnawing. Shortcut...Darby to Grangeville...come on you can do it...say it out lout...Magruder...MAGRUDER. Old bike, old rider, old tires. This will never do. So I start looking for a new front tire. I find a slightly used dual sport 21 at a snowmobile shop. $55 on the bike with the wheel trued as well. It sings like a truck tire but my tourance wobble is gone. I've whittled it down a bit. Old bike (but reliable), old rider (but not dead), one well used rear tourance (but a nice new front knobby). The odds are lookng better.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Hey Dick, (That's his name people!)

I loved your top box. Wish I'd gotten a pic of it. Thanks for the stories!
Old 08-09-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
SaPPeR
Equal Opportunity Hater

Oddometer: 320
I ws trying to get away for IDC but didn't happen - if your ever in Sun Valley/Hailey again - let me know - Ill take you up some fun canyons =)

And Galena is nice isn't it!
SaPPeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 07:53 PM   #4
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Duck
Hey Dick, (That's his name people!)

I loved your top box. Wish I'd gotten a pic of it. Thanks for the stories!

I've misplaced that Rally video, but I'll find it and pm you. I must have loned it out.

I finished my pie so I can continue...
Old 08-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
thetourist OP
Just passing thru

Bluhduh

"i was born under a wandering star. I was bo-orn under a waaanderin star" I can't get this out of my head. For some people it's Willy Nelson and "I'm on the road again" for me it's Lee Marvin. Go figure.
So I'm barrelling along over Lost Trail pass singing the same three lines from 'Paint Your Wagon' and that little magruder worm keeps gnawing away.
Having a most delicious piece of rasberry pie in Darby and the worm wins I decide to cross thru the Magruder Corrider.
At 7:30 it's getting late. I rush to the store for food and water, gas up. There is a forest fire near Darby so I check with the Feds and they say it's OK to cross. up up and away. Don't you know...my map is wrong, the road has been changed. Back and forth checking roads, wasting time. I finally flag down a truck and he explains about the road change. Off I go thru the low country. NezPerce Pass is a nice bit of paved twisties. I could have camped here at 6500 ft. (I prefer to camp high, away from mosquitos) but decide to press on a bit. There is still some light.
At the bottom the bugs are so bad it looks like snow in the headlight. I have to clean my visor every ten minutes. After Magruder Ranger Station the road heads up, it's dark, the road turns fun, and that damn worm shows up again. "hey bud, why don't you just ride straight thru?"
See how I get myself into these situations. I wish I could describe the vistas of the Magruder Corridor but I missed them.
The Road. This trip was all about the road and me. I now know why those riders choose these big twins for Dakar and such. This old transalp was pretty fast. The engine always pulls. the weight levels out a lot of stuff. Sharp bumps are harsh so I have to cool it in the cobble sections. But the forest one lane with one side washed could be taken quite fast, even for an old duffer like me.
Most of the road is one lane made from natural materials. Lots of steep up and down and a few off camber roads. Then there are the cobble sections. Beer can size rocks some loose some embedded. Tire busting SOB's. Even at 10mph some of these sections were harsh.
Near Dry Saddle I pull over and have a banana and some water. This is work. I'm down to my shirtsleeves and wondering if I can make it. If I eased up it would be easier but by now I'm on a mission. Saddle up and get going.
In a few places the headlight disappears into a black abyss. Don't look, concentrate. I see a few critters. As I round a slow corner a 5 point whitetail jumps off the lowside of the road. As I approach It jumps back on the road and almost hits me. The bank was steep enough I thought he was going to fall over backward, onto me. What a way to go out, skewered by a knothead deer.
I've raced a lot and there really isn't much thought process when things are going well. About the only thing that went thru my mind was don't fall down, don't bust a tire, and what if I round a corner and meet a grizzly. Noneof those happened. I hit pavement at 1 am unscathed and very tired. I almost ran off the paved road from lack of concentration. I pulled over and slept right there.
That wasn't the end of the trip but that was certainly the adventure part of it.
Magruder After Dark old school. No gps, no ballistics, no Jesse bags. Under five hours.

I had breakfast at Elk River then went to Dixie for Dixie Days. I was so beat I spent all day there. Eating ice cream and hambrgers. I watched kids roll water balloons and climb greased poles with my feet on the rail of the general store. About 2pm a group of polisher cycles comes into town. It's led by a cousin whom I haven't seen for years. Small world. Later in the eve I search them out and join there camp. I'm not sure what they do is camping. They all had pop up trailers. In the am sausage and pancakes. Camping with them has it's benefits.

and a short morning ride home.

So what did you do this weekend?

PS: I won an afgan comforter at dixie days. A nice souvenier.

Uncle Dick
Old 08-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #6
idahojoe
shut up and ride

Oddometer: 229
Thumb This is why we do it

Absolutly from the heart! I could feel every word. Nice Job!
idahojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,406
Sorry I didn't get to meet you, I must have seen you, yeah the blueberrry cobbler and the home made ice cream put me down, what can I say, I'm a light weight Nice post though

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:56 PM   #8
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Sweet worm.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #9
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,406
Bump, to get all the IDC reports on page 1