Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #16
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
Just to be clear who "we" are, this new law will affect very few ADVriders, only those (like GuateRider) that have Guatemalan registered vehicles:

But I still see your point that laws don't often have the desired affect on the targeted group. Just didn't want travelers to misinterpret anything about the requirements.
We as in riders, I think the feds if they have an opportunity to make some beer money may cross that grey line....just sayin.
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:36 AM   #17
GuateRider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
We as in riders, I think the feds if they have an opportunity to make some beer money may cross that grey line....just sayin.
Nope, bikes with foreign license plate are not required to wear the vest and number on the helmet. As far as using just the right side of the right lane...that counts for everybody .
But for the moment being , the law is not being enforced(and some parts of the law never will) and after massive demonstrations there are talks with the government going on and they might change the law.

As far as beer money for the cops : After 3 month in Guatemala you should know better . They don't bother tourists as long as they don't catch you doing something ilegal . And in that case, tourists do NOT deserve a different treatment as we locals anyway .
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 AM   #18
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post

As far as beer money for the cops : After 3 month in Guatemala you should know better . They don't bother tourists as long as they don't catch you doing something ilegal . And in that case, tourists do NOT deserve a different treatment as we locals anyway .
Yes we had no issues with the Police at all in our 3 months in Guatemala, my comment was based on talking with 2 other guys (separate travellers) on the Stahlratte they got picked on and fined but not exactly sure why.

For the most of it tourists/travellers get away with local law being it is harder to Police, in Costa Rica you are supposed to wear all the hi viz stuff and numbered but not once did the Police say anything to us.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #19
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
...2 other guys (separate travellers) on the Stahlratte they got picked on and fined but not exactly sure why.
I consistently see more of these types of scenarios discussed on this forum and the HUBB - they paid a fine/bribe but they're not exactly sure why?!?

I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but it seems that some travelers go into a police stop with their first assumption being that they will be shaken down for money. If you've not done anything illegal, then there should be no fine. If you reward the cops by handing them a gift of money, they are much more likely to continue to stop future travelers with the expectation of free money. Please don't contribute to that. Instead, go into a police stop with a big smile, lots of patience, and a plan to just have a chat with the police. I know that it may not always be a perfectly pleasant situation, or a perfectly un-corrupt cop, but you as the traveler have some control over what transpires.

Some of this is stemming from a few travelers looking at a police stop in northern Argentina as a toll booth (see thread on the HUBB), when the intent of that thread is to prevent that exact thing from happening. I apologize for letting my frustration from that spill over here. [/rant]

Back to the thread at hand - it helps knowing the laws of each country that you're riding in. Thanks GuateRider for keeping us informed as to what's happening in Guatemala!
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by csustewy View Post
I consistently see more of these types of scenarios discussed on this forum and the HUBB - they paid a fine/bribe but they're not exactly sure why?!?

I know I'm jumping to conclusions, but it seems that some travelers go into a police stop with their first assumption being that they will be shaken down for money. If you've not done anything illegal, then there should be no fine. If you reward the cops by handing them a gift of money, they are much more likely to continue to stop future travelers with the expectation of free money.

. I apologize for letting my frustration from that spill over here. [/rant]
cusutewy ..... dude settle down and chill we have NOT had one issue with any police anywhere on our entire trip and we have not offered a bribe anywhere nor have we needed too and never will so your rant has fallen on deaf ears here.

It was their fines so I didn't bother asking, none of my business.

So any other input on stuff is cool but leave your guns at home or go bomb the HU thread that frustrates you.

Julio, sorry bout this, only mentioned what had been discussed.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:25 PM   #21
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Ouwh and yes a smile always works well and has for us.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #22
csustewy
Motojero

Oddometer: 531
Quote:
cusutewy ..... dude settle down and chill we have NOT had one issue with any police anywhere on our entire trip and we have not offered a bribe anywhere nor have we needed too and never will so your rant has fallen on deaf ears here.

It was their fines so I didn't bother asking, none of my business.

So any other input on stuff is cool but leave your guns at home or go bomb the HU thread that frustrates you.

Julio, sorry bout this, only mentioned what had been discussed.
That rant was not directed at you at all, and I'm sorry it was received that way. I only quoted your text because you mentioned that others had paid those bribes and I was responding to that. And I responded here because I had that reaction when I read that quote here. But you're right, if it mostly stemmed from somewhere else I should have taken it somewhere else.

However.... on one hand, I know that I derailed this thread with my rant, and I understand what you're saying with posting where it's relevant. On the other hand, I am pleased that through my rant there is another paragraph out on the interwebs to reinforce the idea that a traveler's first inclination during a police stop should not be to hand over money.

Quote:
Ouwh and yes a smile always works well and has for us.
Definitely! That's what I was getting at. I'm glad that you didn't run into any hassles while in Guatemala. May that continue for you!

Okay, I'll stop taking away from the original intent of this thread now. HIJACK OVER

GuateRider, thanks again for keeping us posted on changes to the laws relevant to motorcycling in Guatemala, and sorry to detract from that.
csustewy is online now   Reply With Quote