Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 06:35 AM   #91
Stan_R80/7
Beastly Gnarly

Oddometer: 1,181
When I was 11 or 12 a boy scout buddy of mine invited me to his relatives farm in rural Kentucky where they had a Yamaha YZ50. They let me ride the YZ50 and that was it - it was a natural extension of riding a bicycle. I coveted that little bike.
I later mowed grass and saved up enough to buy a Suzuki TS125 (but really wanted at RM125) for off road riding. Never wrecked it, but put a dent or two in the bike. Finally sold it to buy a MG Midget - also from my scouting buddy's influences.
Stopped riding after getting my drivers license until I bought my '78 R80/7 in 1989. After getting the R80, I took the MSF safety course which opened my eyes to the knuckle head factor - which today has been amplified by cell and smart phones. While I primarily ride on the road I prefer off-road, mostly because of the knuckle head factor but also the scenery is better.
Stan_R80/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:06 PM   #92
Sp4rks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
I didn't learn how to ride, I learned how to not crash going at high speeds.
Old 09-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #93
243Win
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
First exposure as a kid riding a friend's honda 60?. As I recall you had to shift, but not use a clutch.

Promptly rode it into his fence. Undaunted I got up and took off around the yard again and went wide and that same section of chain link fence grabbed the bars as I went by and I crashed yet again.

Short while later at the local riding area I was running around everywhere on that bike and he set me up on his Kawi 175. At the time that bike seemed a huge thing. Immediately I thought "WOW, this is so much better with the extra power". And I didn't crash it.

Anyhow he moved away not to long after taking his bikes with him.

Not too long after that I ran into a friend of my sisters with her new xmas bike, a yamaha 125. It was inauguration day 1981. Boy oh-howdy did I crash that bike bigger than shit. Put myself in the hospital for a couple of surgeries to save my foot. The bike, as I understand it they saved the engine and grips, mebbe tires, but not much else.

I moved away shortly thereafter. Next encounter with bikes was friends having bikes as young adults and occasionally letting me ride them essentially around the block, 750 Virago, 750 interceptor, 700 nighthawk. Didn't crash them, tho it was close on the Virago, not a cruiser guy I guess.

Then a long dry spell,... until 2007 when I went out and on a whim bought a 2007 XT225. Then I made an effort to finally learn how to ride. Lotsa reading and lots more parking lot practice until I took my test for license.

Got a long ways to go, still learning.

10 State Trip 2010
2011, $1000 in the pocket, how far can we go
243Win is offline   Reply With Quote