Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
hammockman OP
Always Lost!

Oddometer: 124
Plate numbers on bike different than ones on title.

I am planning on leaving for Mexico and further south tomorrow and just looked at my title. The license plate listed on the title is not the current plate on the bike. I just went to the TX DMV and they told me not to worry that the process is based on the VIN. I would have to surrender my title to the county and wait 4 to 6 weeks to get an up to date title.

Has anybody crossed on a title that has different plates listed then the ones on the bike?

hammockman screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 12:19 PM
hammockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
Why would a state print a license number on a title? I've never lived in a state that does this.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
hammockman OP
Always Lost!

I don't know why they would put a plate number on the title but am concerned about trying to cross the borders with the wrong plate number on the title. The registration papers have the correct plate number but not the title.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 726
my experience in latin america with small-minded officials is that you very well may have an issue. i haven't crossed any borders by vehicle, but even in-country they sometimes check the paperwork against the numbers on the bike, but they are usually looking for the VIN. plates generally are at issue when you get pulled over, and then they are comparing the plate on the bike to your registration (circulacion)

perhaps you could make up some BS that it only indicates the plate number that was issued at the time title was issued.
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
Why would a state print a license number on a title? I've never lived in a state that does this.
Some states do. California, for example.

Personally, I like it when all the numbers on all my documents agree with one another. Sooner or later you'll run into someone who'll check them all, with an eye to extracting mordida, confiscating your bike, or merely showing you who's boss.

On the other hand, there's no denying that rules are generally fluid throughout Latin America. A good excuse, told repeatedly in incomprehensible Spanglish and accompanied by wide-eyed sincerity and lots of bowing and scraping will usually do the trick.

Better you than me, however.

Mark

markharf screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:14 PM Reason: "extracting morbid....?" Who needs autocorrect on a motorcycling forum?
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,955
I had this issue with my Calif. title. The original plate got lost in Baja (imagine that) so the plate number on my title was different from the actual/registration.

Funny thing is that I totally forgot about it. In all the border crossings that I actually had to show my title, one official caught the discrepancy. I explained to him that the original plate was stolen and I had to get a new one and they dont issue a new title just to get a new plate. He checked the VIN and engine numbers to make sure they matched the title, double checked the VIN/plate number with the reg, and was happy with the explanation. I think it was on the Chilean side of one of the Chile/Argentina crossings IIRC.

As always, YMMV, a lot!

Personally, had I caught the issue before I left, I would have got a replacement title since the potential for hassles is very high in this case.

One thing to do might be to apply for a replacement title with the DMV due to loss. If you can fill out the new plate number on the application form you should be good to go. Hold onto the original, and use it if needed, then have the replacement sent to you when it arrives. Just a thought.

I lost an Alaska title, went down to the DMV, filled out a form, showed ID, and they printed me a new one right there on the spot. I was shocked how easy that was.

crashmaster screwed with this post 08-15-2013 at 05:12 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
...A good excuse, told repeatedly in incomprehensible Spanglish and accompanied by wide-eyed sincerity and lots of bowing and scraping will usually do the trick.
Mark
This method has worked for me so many times.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
hammockman OP
Always Lost!

Since I'm retired and have the time I went ahead and went down to the DMV this morning and applied for a new title with the correct plate number on it.
Old 08-17-2013, 05:14 AM   #9
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,082
Given your avatar photo you could have easily explained it was the plate number in your head
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
El Stigo
Hey Ese its EL STIGO

Oddometer: 317
VIN vs. PLATE

Your VIN is what defines any document or permit in Mexico and what is is looked at by customs officials, police, etc.

Most people who get into problems 1. Don`t speak the language 2. Don`t understand that they are in MEXICO...a foreign country.

Send me a PM and if push comes to shove and if you have a problem at any point you can contact me or anyone in Mexico and we can help out.

Enjoy Mexico and don`t listen to the BS. The Cartel and our network is happy to provide assistance in making your travels FUN and SAFE and to create memories of a life time.

El Stigo
First motorcycle experience. Dads, 40 something HD knucklehead it was 1966 he was 22 and my first recorded photo on a bike taken at 2 yrs. Thanks for raising me on the back of your bikes and teaching me to ride my dirt bike 35 years ago!

El Stigo screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 08:12 AM
El Stigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 PM   #11
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,310
You take a nice solid rule and put it square across the plate number on the title. You draw a single line through it end to end so you can still read it but it is 'crossed out'.....then you legibly PRINT your correct plate number above or below. This is the official modification recommended by me. It's worked dozens of times for me and I mean dozens...like 36 or 48 times.

I've ridden to Puerta Vallarta Mexico on a BMW R1100RSL with a CAR DEALERS dealer plate on my motorcycle, yes a big car plate. Your mileage may vary.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
tlucas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb

You don't have to use the title throughout latin america. Just use the registration and say it's the same as the title. (Where I'm from, it is, actually.)
tlucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #13
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlucas View Post
You don't have to use the title throughout latin america. Just use the registration and say it's the same as the title. (Where I'm from, it is, actually.)
I used my registration alone (without title) several times and didn't have any issues.

And while I don't condone this () It's pretty easy to do a nice photoshop job these days.

Dr. Benny screwed with this post 11-13-2013 at 10:05 AM
Dr. Benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM   #14
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,310
You could also just remove the license plate.

I ran for six years back and forth to Mexico with my Car Dealer plate on my motorcycle, full size car plate. Nobody ever said anything.

You could make a cardboard one, or none.

I made a cardboard car radio for a VW Bug to exit El Salvador once. I had to give my radio to a person I crashed in to!

Of course matching paperwork is best, but there is often a way if you look hard enough or try hard enough....it can be a hassle though.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

DMV paperwork/room rental/motorbike/vehicle buying/Travelers help
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
TeeVee
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Benny View Post
I used my registration alone (without title) several times and didn't have any issues.

And while I don't condone this () It's pretty easy to do a nice photoshop job these days. While the title says California, you might notice the New Hampshire seal on the bottom and if you look closely you'll see the words VOID all over it. It worked flawlessly throughout Latin America . It has everything officials looks for: Fancy border, odd colors, ugly dot-matrix font, a seal and a control number.

that's great. only one problem: most countries have examples of official documents such as titles, drivers licenses etc. if you are lucky and they don't look, good on you. i wouldn't want to be busted at a border or worse, in country, with fake docs. say bye-bye moto!
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote