Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
alvise OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Question Building from scratch legal issue in Alberta

Hi, hope is the right tread ....
after to many fly and banging with my XR400 last week I decide I am getting to old for that and I decide to build a 2WD motorbike, something in the line of the rokon, maybe less ugly (www.rokon.com) It will be around 7hp, not very fast dedicated to off highway use only crossing swamps and climbing trails here in the Rockies.
Here in Alberta (CND) to go on public land (also off highway) you need to get registered and insured
In my understanding to get register you need to have a VIN number and a "saftey" inspection. This starting get complicated so before picking up the welder I wonder if anybody has been o this road before, and what is the damage $$$ and how hard it is. Just a VIN looks like 400$
If easier i can design to be a LSM (limited speed motorcycle)
Not really find any detil rules about LSM and Off highway vehicles. Looks like as long they have front a back light , brakes you are good but sound to easy...
Maybe is easier take an existing frame and modify it to your need (keeping basically just the VIN number ...sound like a dirty road ....
Any suggestions, advise ?
alvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 08:37 PM   #2
Yella DR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
There's a project idea. That Rokon can tow 2000 lbs??!!
If it was me diving into such a project I'd buy a plated,street legal bike of your favorite flavor and modify to your needs are met- all the while keeping the plates current. I see nothing but rash trying to meet build registration guidelines, if they exist.
But use a snow blower motor......?
Old 1985ish RED ATV 250 would be my choice for power
Old 06-28-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
alvise OP
n00b

Yes that was my second thought, If you modify motor or frame theoretically you have to redo a Out of province inspection...
At he moment I have a friend willing to give me the frame and motor of a Honda ACT185 (trike) look like a good start I will take out one of the wheel and the game is done :-) I will check tomorrow with registration if the VIN can be register...
Still I will try to find the specs for registration of a build from scratch bike, I ask to an authorize Inspector shop and they have not to much clue, they told me to call in Edmonton transportation safety... i will keep you updated
alvise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:05 AM   #4
ctromley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
http://www.christini.com/
ctromley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:47 PM   #5
alvise OP
n00b

They sure look nicer and faster then the Rokon