Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #136
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Police officers have a position of public trust. Don't believe that? Go watch traffic court some day, watch how many people the judge decides to believe over the cop.

Any person in a position of trust must be held to a higher standard, and any violation of that trust must be viewed in a manner most serious.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #137
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS402 View Post
Police officers have a position of public trust. Don't believe that? Go watch traffic court some day, watch how many people the judge decides to believe over the cop.

Any person in a position of trust must be held to a higher standard, and any violation of that trust must be viewed in a manner most serious.
+1

A doctor can't have a relation with a patient, although this relation would be fully accepted (no minor involved and stuff like that) in "real life", because of the same position of trust principle.

If a fireman is proved to be a pyromaniac, he will be disowned by his profession.

If a doctor took advantage of his position of trust, he will be put under the ban by his peers

If a cop do something illegal, more often than other his colleagues will rally behind him and defend him, when they won't simply close their eyes upon the "incident"

SgtDuster screwed with this post 09-05-2013 at 08:15 PM
SgtDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #138
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
I'm a professional, Class A driver. Any minor infraction can have massive consequences for me, much more severe than most of the cops out there. In spite of this, there are whole sections of various police departments who's job it is to pay specific attention to people like me.

I think the police should have less leniency given to them. If you would enforce the law, then you must live by it. I'm of the opinion that any breaking of the law by police officers should have significantly more severe punishments, not less.
I would hope that police would give class A drivers some leeway from time to time and issue more warnings.

It does not bother me that a cop make be given a little leniency for 72 in a 65. But the attitude does. The "I just flash my badge and am on my way," to me, is the bigger problem. It smugly indicates that corruption is rampant and that they consider each other to be above the law. I'd expect to hear more of, "Your a cop! You should know better, I should really give you a ticket." Followed by, "I know, I know. I am very sorry, if you could see your way clear to let me off with a warning, I promise that you won't have problems with me again."

85 in a 65? No way, full ticket for full speed. But therein lies the problem, usually the first impulse among Leo's seems to be, "He is a fellow officer, I must figure out a way to protect him from the consequences of this infraction, accident, crime."
Peruvian Andes (3 months)
N Chile - Medellin, Colombia (3 months) Cartegena, CO to N Chile (3 months)
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #139
moymurfs

Oddometer: 2,177
Well, as usual, the train has left the tracks on a leo related subject

If I'm wearing a flip up helmet I'll raise it, take off my gloves (primarily because it's easier to retrieve my OL/registration). Turn bike off, put sidestand down, stay seated.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:32 AM   #140
ChaoSS402
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswave View Post
I would hope that police would give class A drivers some leeway from time to time and issue more warnings.
I've never been pulled over while driving professionally, but at least around here, I hear that warnings just don't exist for class A drivers.
ChaoSS402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #141
glasswave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 926
Quote:
I've never been pulled over while driving professionally, but at least around here, I hear that warnings just don't exist for class A drivers.
I find that to be unfortunate. Traffic laws are guidelines designed to keep us from operating our vehicles unsafely and as such need to be applied with some situational discretion in mind. A slow rolling a stop at 7 am on Sunday morning is quite a bit different than executing the same maneuver in an effort to merge a gap in speeding rush hour traffic.

glasswave screwed with this post 09-08-2013 at 03:28 PM Reason: typos
glasswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #142
FloorPoor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
I pull over, retrieve my license and concealed carry permit, and let them know immediately whether or not I am armed. My DL number is the same as my CCW number, so they'll know as soon as they run the license anyway. This courtesy (not required by law in Idaho) has gotten me out of several infractions over the years. They seem to appreciate being told up front, and are willing to let something like 5-10 mph over the limit go with a "slow it down a bit"

"There's nothing like that fresh tire feeling "
FloorPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #143
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 664
Probably what NOT to do....

Driving home on HWY 41 near Oshkosh WI, coming home from account visits. I see a Yammy R1 coming from behind, and passes me on the right, maybe 5 mph over my speed, I'm doing 70 in a 65, light traffic. We both passed an unmarked Crown Vic just back giving another cager a driving coupon. R1 rider is over the limit, but not doing anything else of note, just riding, wearing a dark shield FF helmet, gloves, textile jacket, jeans and street shoes. So no stunter/squid by my thoughts. Also, to me, ANY Crown VIc is suspect, especially one with more than one antenna.

R1 rider is about a mike ahead, when the same Crown Vic passes my right side, going better than five over my speed, heading steadily toward the R1, pacing him. Sure enough, gets behind him and on come the lights. R1 pulls over on the right shoulder, just before an exit ramp, Crown Vic a bit back. As I pass, the R1 rider is off the bike, helmet on, dark face shield down, walking towards the Crown Vic as the officer is still getting out of the car. Rider stance to me says, "why did you pull me over", officer has one hand up already directing the rider to the front of the car.

Miy guess is he got the ticket for sure. However, like I said I thought he was doing very little wrong other than maybe being to 80, but not more than 75 when he passed me. But he goofed after he stopped, shoulda stayed on the bike, waiting for the officer.