Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #106
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
To break the ice on initial contact try this, it always works for me:
"You only stopped me because I'm black" It takes a couple seconds for the slack jaw mouth breathing to stop, then they usually start laughing. At this point I badge them, and I'm on my way.
are you LEO?
farmerstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #107
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfr700 View Post
At this point I badge them, and I'm on my way.
One of the many reasons I do not dig cops.

The professional courtesy thing is a little out of control.

Your job, your choice.

I wonder if a dentist gets free tits for his wife at the plastic surgeon?
Old 08-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #108
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT View Post

Your job, your choice.

There are few jobs that do not have perks!

Being jealous is just not worth my time.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 02:12 PM   #109
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,947
About Cops

I live downtown Boston. I love the Boston PD (and Boston FD too). They are always around, friendly and helpful. They like interacting with residents and tourists alike. I have never known them to be anything but respectful members of my neighborhood. They help us feel safe. Moreover, we know they have an extremely dangerous job. I admire how well they do it yet still be so civil to us. We can tell they really love being our cops. I am sure NYC residents feel the love towards their NYPD/NYFD too.

I can't say the same for our state troopers. They seem to be the wannabe Texas Rangers. I could say the same for CHP's too, since I spent my first 30 years suffering their crap. Must be something about the requirements of being traffic monitors and given weapons to do it...

We have a motorcycle unit in Boston, but we don't see them too much except for parades and larger community events. I see them as a bit of a decoration, but in a good way. They ride nicely maintained Harleys with just the right amount of glimmer. Enough to be cool. Their riders are pretty spiffed up too, but in a functional way. Well, those boots and helmets could be a little more functional, but I like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Most of them want you to be intimidated and they make themselves the enemy by treating people unfairly . If I actually did something I can understand maybe , but everybody isn't guilty of something and they're no better than anybody else. I don't go for that do as I say , not as I do bullshit and a badge doesn't make them an instant hero. I know a few cops , but most of them I probably wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #110
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu View Post
are you LEO?
Dog catcher. A badge is a badge , right?
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:55 PM   #111
Homeslice
Semi-pro Lurker

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCQTT

Your job, your choice.

There are few jobs that do not have perks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerstu
are you LEO?
I've known local cops who would make a point of writing a ticket if someone flashed a badge when they got pulled over.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:49 AM   #112
henshao
Bained

Oddometer: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I've known local cops who would make a point of writing a ticket if someone flashed a badge when they got pulled over.
LOCAL cops? Not like, preprogrammed robotic state police?
henshao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 AM   #113
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Those cops are not very popular with their coworkers, and I am sure never give anyone a break!

Most of us would call them cops.

Jim
Old 08-30-2013, 04:48 AM   #114
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Pissed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Those cops are not very popular with their coworkers, and I am sure never give anyone a break!

Most of us would call them cops.

Jim
Who cares if they're not popular with the NAZI cops. THAT'S my biggest problem with cops , the I can do whatever the hell I want attitude. If it's illegal for us , it's illegal for them , period.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #115
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 564
Last time I got pulled over, I followed my usual protocol. I posted it earlier in this thread. But I have also found that anything that "diffuses" the situation also helps.

That last time I got pulled over was for passing on a double yellow, doing 52 in a 35 (right in front of the cop on the side of the road) going out of a tiny town heading into some of the best twisties HWY 33 in Wisconsin offers near Wildcat Mountain State Park.

Now, I always ride in FF helmet, cycle jacket, gloves, boots and jeans, and I'm still kinda weight proportionate for my height (hide the beer belly well). So the officer got ahead of me to meet me on a safe turnout area. Stopped the bike, turned it off, he said "dismount and remove your helmet." His eyes got big when the helmet came off and my grey haired/receeding hairline, and 54 year old face popped out. He said, suprised, "I thought I had a couple of young kids getting ready for a run on me! Called every cop/ranger in the county!" Sure enough as we stood there at least four other law officers passed by.

I followed my usual protocol, and got off with a local ordinance fine for "Display of Power", $139 but no points on my license and no report to the insurance company.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #116
vfr700
172S

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
You're funny. For the record I'm one of the few who made far more educational contacts, I'm not a fan of writing cites; under most circumstances. I spent much of the 20 years of my LEO life working in depressed neighborhoods, where traffic enforcement wasn't a priority, but quality of life issues were a problem.

For all those high and mighty folks who become indignant over cops generally not writing cops, seriously get over it. I've only been pulled over a few times over the years, and I tell them what I do, they can write me if they want; it is just a ticket. There are far worse things out there.

How many people slow down and look a cop during a stop to make sure they're not fighting for their life? I do, every time I see one stopped; that's generally why in my opinion professional courtesy is extended. If you're talking DUI, or other criminal offenses, stand by, there's no professional courtesy; at least on my part. But that's now a moot point, I've just retired.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #117
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,536
Quote:
Who cares if they're not popular with the NAZI cops. THAT'S my biggest problem with cops , the I can do whatever the hell I want attitude. If it's illegal for us , it's illegal for them , period.
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:33 AM   #118
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post

I know few who are intimidated to that extent. Hell, most here treat cops like the enemy it seems by the responses.

Do people in Europe treat the cops like crap?

Jim
That can vary widely depending on the country. As elsewhere, cops are vilified by the lowlife element in the crap neighborhoods and in the upscale areas they get thumbs-up. In France, you're stopped for a traffic violation, the cop walks up and gives a quick salute on the cap bill. 'Monsieur' and 'Madame' are used to address the civilians.

I get an automatic radar gift from time to time but never been caught, er, mistaken for a criminal, in a stop. Norway has very strict speed limits, 80kph on the highways, and I was rolling in a impromptu cat and mouse with a few other riders, crested a hill, two cops just gave us a vertical hand pump to slow down. Another time, in France, I had stopped at the roadside to check my map. Two motorized Gendarmes stopped and asked if I needed any assistance. Maybe it was because we rode the same bike.

Unlike in the US, the police don't get all made up in military gear to make an arrest or entry. If there is the probability of a true bad ass or three, there are special ops groups that will handle it.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #119
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post

Unlike in the US, the police don't get all made up in military gear to make an arrest or entry. If there is the probability of a true bad ass or three, there are special ops groups that will handle it.
You have been watching too much TV. Most arrests are not done by a SWAT team.

Jim
Old 09-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #120
RHM
Adventurer

Oddometer: 46
I ran out of free passes a few years back. I got three tickets in 2012 all three for 75 in a 55. First one was in CO, second one in GA, third one in AL. IMO I did catch one break out of the three. I was going 83 in a 55 in Jasper, GA. I immediately thought I was going to jail. This was around 11:00 pm.

Saw the cop, immediately pulled over and when he asked why I was going so fast I told him "my wife called and said there was water coming from the upstairs bathroom into the downstairs kitchen". That was the truth and he said he was going to write it down to 75 in a 55 and explained the GA "superticket' law or something like that.

Then he started explaining to me how he clocked me at 83 and going into details. I just wanted to get going. I politely told him, "no need to give me the details, I appreciate the break".

Drove off low fuel lite came on in the middle of nowhere then it started raining. I just started laughing, other than a wreck not much more could happen, hell of a night.

I got let off a few years ago by a GA Trooper for doing 96 in a 70, again around 11:00 pm. Not gonna go into the details on that one, but the truth set me free that night. I'd probably have a few by now but a broken foot has kept me from riding much this year.

I'll make'em up when my foot heals!

RM
RHM is offline   Reply With Quote