ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 10:58 AM   #1
Stan Dalone OP
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,279
Any tent space along the coast?

Hey all you FFs. Me and my sweets are on a great year long street adventure. We rode from the right coast to the left coast in July. We got to the Seattle area on 2-Aug-13. We took a vacation from our vacation for a couple weeks, and now were gearing up to head south.

So, where are the best rides along the coast? What must I see, what should I avoid? Hows the camping situation along the coast? I see alot of state parks, and wonder about the facilities? Showers being the Key need?

We dont have a particular route planned out, but generally aim to stick near the coast as we wander south. We have a planned stop in Tahoe on 22-Sept-13. The general goal was to ride towards the bay area, then head up over them hills east of there till we get to that deep blue puddle.

Any inmates along that general direction have tent space for a couple native new englanders? We are afraid of the dark, hate pets, have gourmet tastes, and of course, only except 5 star lawns to nest into!!

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:00 AM   #2
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,919
Hit up ORcoast in Tillimook, I know he's got property that is set up for tent space.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,439
Cape Lookout State Park has showers and is right on the beach. Nehalem Bay State Park is also on the beach, but doesn't appear to have showers. Tons more in other counties along the coast of Oregon.

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...age&parkId=134

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/inde...age&parkId=142

And I do have a nice wooded lot in Netarts, easy walk to two bars/restaurants and the bay, but no showers....

Also, grab a map and look for interesting alternatives to Hwy 101, especially on weekends, or you will be chugging along behind RV's all day.

oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,075
Check the ADV Tent Space Map thread. On our trip down the coast, we were very graciously hosted by MendoDave, just south of Mendocino
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Stan Dalone OP
Gotta get somma dat

Thanks for the info

Thanks guys. So far I made it thru Astoria, then Oceanside, buzzed over RT26 towards the big city. Staying down in Champagneee State Park! But nobody had a welcome here bottle for us, yet

I will probably head back to the coast Tuesday, and try to avoid all the big ass RVs from Kalifornia! Looks like there are some nice state parks along the way? Plus I just need to find a way to get onto a Quad and go play in the dunes! Doubt there are any trees to hit, might be good for my noggin.
Probably head back east towards Crater Lake after the long weekend. Then who knows, still got some time to cruise

Old 08-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Bruce H
Bruce H

Oddometer: 158
If you come thru Newport you are welcome to camp at my shop. In the grass/weeds behind but there are facilities when we are here. It's free and other riders have used the space. PM me if you'd like.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:54 PM   #7
Stan Dalone OP
Gotta get somma dat

Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately, I have sprint and the service is not very useful out here, and I went on by. Down in the dunes now, in Honeyman state park.
Is the weather always this lousy along here?

Old 08-29-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Thanks Bruce. Unfortunately, I have sprint and the service is not very useful out here, and I went on by. Down in the dunes now, in Honeyman state park.
Is the weather always this lousy along here?
I spent a large part of today just across the highway from Honeyman. We were paving last night. the weather was decent until about 0530 this morning. I just got home from there and it's dry here (36 miles inland). According to the weather guessers tomorrow through Sunday is supposed to be better.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #9
Stan Dalone OP
Gotta get somma dat

Those weather guessers are right almost never! I wish I had my 4 wheeler with me to play on these dunes. Damn it, its torture listening to them
Tomorrow were heading down towards Coos Bay. Sunday towards Crater Lake. What's the good routes to get there?

Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
oldmonkeybut
Digital Emigrant

Oddometer: 2,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
Tomorrow were heading down towards Coos Bay. Sunday towards Crater Lake. What's the good routes to get there?
For pavement hwy 42 east to Roseburg then 138 upriver to Crater Lake North Entrance.

For better longer with some gravel get out your benchmark recreational atlas (if you don't have one, go buy one or else your already lost and missing the good stuff.)

hwy 42 to Coquille..find Sitcum..follow Coos Bay Wagon Road to Reston. reston to Umpqua then down river to Tyee, Elkton, Drain, Cottage Grove, Row River Rd. Brice Creek Rd then your choice over the top to Forest rd 21...follow map to Lemolo Lake then hwy 138 to North Entrance.

There is a southern route also but it is on fire right now.