ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #46
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer
 
cliffy109's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Spotsylvania, VA
Oddometer: 1,585
Be careful trying to draw analogies between shooting and riding. I am an avid shooter and have studied Cooper and others and have a good grasp on situational awareness and the color code of mental awareness. That is great as far as it goes and mental preparation will help you tremendously as a rider. I have a very tactical view of the road and lessons learned from a variety of shooting instructors has helped me in countless ways.

However... riding is about a lot more than simply staying alive to ride another day. To the serious tactical shooter, we train in order to keep ourselves out of a fight if at all possible and to win it if we can't. That isn't how to approach your ride. Enjoy the ride. Learn the skills because they are both useful and fun! Go to a track. Find a twisty road (once you have sufficient experience and skill) and see how much fun it is. You don't have to ride like the jackasses you mention in your original post but you don't have to be Mr. Serious Guy all the time either. If you do, you'll miss the point of riding.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #47
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Socal
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
Don't get hit.
Thats an interesting analogy...more ways than one.

When I play that game, I don't move until I have no other choice to avoid the rock. Why? Because then you start this movement pattern that throws you into the path of other 'roids...then you have to compensate to make it stop...to much and you go the other way....etc etcetc. Why introduce more risk than is absolutely necessary at any given moment? All it will likely result in is the loss of your shot at the high score and your quarter....


....then theres the UFO.....
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #48
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
Wraith, I don't think you read the whole thing. I've seen people ride/drive offensively only to end up literally 2 car lengths ahead of me at best at the next traffic light.
Win some, lose some.... In the end, someone was having fun, and someone wasn't having much of anything.

I guess I don't do much of anything without a purpose. Point A to Point B sayers never hear of "Life's a journey, not a destination"

I fill in the low spots in life with......


wwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! !!!!!!!!!!!.......

__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #49
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Socal
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffy109 View Post
Be careful trying to draw analogies between shooting and riding. I am an avid shooter and have studied Cooper and others and have a good grasp on situational awareness and the color code of mental awareness. That is great as far as it goes and mental preparation will help you tremendously as a rider. I have a very tactical view of the road and lessons learned from a variety of shooting instructors has helped me in countless ways.

However... riding is about a lot more than simply staying alive to ride another day. To the serious tactical shooter, we train in order to keep ourselves out of a fight if at all possible and to win it if we can't. That isn't how to approach your ride. Enjoy the ride. Learn the skills because they are both useful and fun! Go to a track. Find a twisty road (once you have sufficient experience and skill) and see how much fun it is. You don't have to ride like the jackasses you mention in your original post but you don't have to be Mr. Serious Guy all the time either. If you do, you'll miss the point of riding.

You're right on all accounts. Ive done some tactical work also....nothing worth mentioning...embarrassing in fact..."stay in your lane" type.

You are right about the Mr. Serious comment. I think its the lack of experience that has me on the defense of this whole thing. I still don't see the need to have this "fun" in traffic. 5 lane highways SHOULDN'T be "fun" (like twisties...I owned an autocross trim Fiero once...mid engines are fun)...they should be a place to get you from A to B. Too much risk for me and those around. Save it for the mountain roads and track days.

I thought of another analogy. 4x4 rock crawling. You practice so you can go to Moab or others for competition (or exhibition) and/or you practice so when you take you're family offroad you know how to use your winch and lockers to get you of the ditch your rear wheel fell into. The difference is sport vs utility and time/place. I took my Pajero (Japanese Montero) deliberately onto an ice and snow patch so I could see how it all reacted and what it felt like to start slipping(being from Socal, you're snow chances are few and far between). Also to see WHEN it started slipping. Why? I went a lot of places and did a lot of things where people don't go very often...I wanted to be prepared for when I came into trouble. This is utility. Practicing on ice for ice racing is sport. You wouldn't necessarily go looking for an icy road to test your ice racing skills on...would you? You may USE skills you learned to drive safely or get out of trouble...but you don't go looking for a patch to play on.

Sniperx screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 01:40 PM
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #50
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Socal
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by btao View Post
Win some, lose some.... In the end, someone was having fun, and someone wasn't having much of anything.

I guess I don't do much of anything without a purpose. Point A to Point B sayers never hear of "Life's a journey, not a destination"

I fill in the low spots in life with......


wwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! !!!!!!!!!!!.......

Cruising down Pacific Coast Highway (PCH is the winding road that runs from the bottom of California to CAnada, I think it goes that far...maybe changes in Washington) with the front safari windows open, dogs in the seat, music on the radio...is pretty fun and plenty safe (until you get a bee in the face). None of that "fun" put myself or others at risk (except the bee attack).

If you get squished while "having fun" on a 5 lane highway at 5pm...don't cry on here about it. You took a risk that you felt was worth the pay off.

Time and place.
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #51
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Well you just have all the answers don't you.

Now go and learn to ride a motorcycle.

Then come back and speak with the voice of Experience.

I think you come off a little self righteous.
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:09 PM   #52
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyoklahoma View Post
And Adrenalin is a helluva drug!!!
The Best
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #53
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 6,721
I'm thinking SX needs to take a break

Ride or don't ride, who cares.

If you ride, do so as fast as you like and mind your own business about other peoples riding.

If you want the anachronism it's RYOR

And STFU
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #54
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Socal
Oddometer: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
Well you just have all the answers don't you.

Now go and learn to ride a motorcycle.

Then come back and speak with the voice of Experience.

I think you come off a little self righteous.
Thats because I'm the most awesome thing on two wheels....and I haven't even gotten a bike yet!

I've got my perspective and some really good advice. Maybe one day in a few months to a year I'll go, "OOOOO...thats whats those ass holes were trying to beat into me!" Just maybe though......

in the mean time...I'll continue to play it safe so I can get to the point all you hardcore guys are at.


(A fly and ride from Vancouver to Los Angeles a little too ambitious for Early-mid september? Probably. Its an 1150GS by the way.)
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #55
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer
 
ThumperStorm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: St. Cloud, Minnesota
Oddometer: 1,118
Well, at least you have a sense of humor!
__________________
"Maybe you ain't in a rut, maybe you're in a ditch, way over your head." Don Marshall
ThumperStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #56
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer
 
ER70S-2's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2009
Location: SE Denver-ish
Oddometer: 4,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
Why introduce more risk than is absolutely necessary at any given moment?
Don't buy a motorcycle.
__________________
2004 DR650: 60,466 miles
2013 WR250R

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:03 PM   #57
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man
 
Kommando's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Spacecoaster FL
Oddometer: 6,463
Dragging a knee is a skill? I thought that it just...happened.

Also, in what states is it illegal to pass on the right when there are 2 or more lanes in your direction?
__________________
Some are guard dogs of the flock. Some are herders, search and rescue, or companions. We Devildogs are those, and also retrievers. Hell is our dogpark, our swimming hole. The fallen are our tennis balls. We don't leave the fallen behind, even if the master has to bring them home. Semper Fi, my friends.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #58
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Littleton, CO
Oddometer: 2,124
OMG, you're getting a 1150GS as a first bike and you think those other riders are dangerous?

BBwWaahahahahahhhahahahahahhahhahha!!!!!!
tkent02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #59
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer
 
DAKEZ's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: OR
Oddometer: 19,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommysmothers View Post
A laser cannon would be a nice farkle.
I do the sounds when I ride just for fun. Tchoo-Tchoo-tchooo-tchoo!!!
__________________
“Watch out for everything bigger than you, they have the "right of weight"
Bib
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:02 AM   #60
btao
Pwned
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Not far enough...
Oddometer: 936
I feel sorry for your bike. Make sure you get all the crash protection because you're going to need it. ATGATT is an absolute must for you.

The funny thing with big bikes is that they are perfectly fine at speed. You're probably going to drop it at least once the first week from just trying to stop or do a slow turn.

The other irony involved here, is that because you've convinced everyone reading you're a very conservative rider, you're going to have a much harder time getting acclimated to your bike because you won't make it do what you need it to do and you'll get pwned. You'll be a hazard to others because you're going to start right out with a higher risk machine.

You say it's all in throttle control.... well, it's not. Anyone can go fast, in a straight line. It's everything else.

There are basic skills that need to be mastered, and I completely agree with some of the other posters that say you probably won't enjoy riding nearly as much as you thought because you're going to be white knuckled, ultra-conservative, and scared. That's not someone I want to be on the road with.

__________________________________

I'll start a poll for you:

What was everyone's first motorcycle?

Mine: 1974 Honda CB 360
__________________
"you opened your mind so far, your brains fell out"
_________________________
Current: '13 Tiger 800 XC, '09 Subi WRX, '11 405hp Sti (wifey's) Past: '74 Honda CB 360, '81 Yamaha 650 Special II, '01 Bandit 1200S, '07 Bandit 1250S
btao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014