Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2013, 04:05 PM   #91
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Awesome! I'm not sure which falls you're referring to, I know of a few. Some are open, some not. We're planning another San Diego Backcountry Ride sometime in October, I'll make sure to let you know when we get details going. Or just subscribe to THIS thread.
Neither do I. Just some place on a dirt road back near Julian I saw when we did an "offroad" VW cruise. You want to START offraoding a VW bus...check out Saddle Back near Irvine/Riverside.....thats getting fun. Can see all the coast and out to LA on a clear day.
Sniperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #92
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperx View Post
My question is....

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?

I mean....drivers don't take the same chances with their cars as riders do with their bikes.
As another poster answered, "because you can."

I mean that seriously. Some of the behavior you are describing CANNOT be done in a car. The car is physically too large. The car doesn't have the necessary acceleration. You are evaluating some of this behavior from the mindset of a car's limitations, not a motorcycle's. Heck, not simply a car's limitations, but the limitations of a VW Bus! Not a ride well known for acceleration.

A motorcycle opens up opportunities that a car doesn't have. It does the same with regards to a bicycle. Taking advantage of all the opportunities is likely unwise, but perhaps the most striking thing about common sense is how uncommon it can be.

I see cars doing all sorts of foolhardy, risky things while I ride, so don't think it's limited to m/cs. Next time you find yourself behind a semi, take note of the "don't pass on the right" warning. It's there because car drivers are being killed and injured every day when they try to pass a semi on the right. We won't even get into the car drivers (99%+ in SoCal) who tailgate on the freeway, or routinely cut off semi's.

People take risks, and often those risks look foolish to others.
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #93
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The difference is not only dimensional or "because you can". The difference here is putting yourself at greater risk than you did by riding on something that provides zero external protection in a collision.

My instructor this weekend said it best, look at how you drive on the way home today. Do you find yourself boxed in driving faster than the rest of traffic or do you have adequate breaking distance and an escape route? Chances are these are the tendencies you will carry with you in riding.

You can have all the skill in the world, but if the soccer mom in the Escalade wants in your lane...shes going to take it...regardless of your hours spent at Laguna Secca or how many thousands of miles you've logged. Better to not even put yourself in the scenario.

Ragrding passing on the right.....I thnk the point has been lost here. Its not passing that is a problem...its passing when there is NO LANE.

Time and place as with all thing.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #94
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
Quote:

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..even what is between you won't save you when the 18 wheeler you cut off crushes your abdomen....why would you do things and act in ways you would never do in the security of a car?
I've not read your thread - just the OP.

Why? Bravado, recklessness, testicular fortitude, depression, stimulant use, alcohol use, adrenaline craving, stupidity, skill, arrogance, anger, joy, nihilism, exuberance . . . and many more reasons.
Old 08-27-2013, 02:56 PM   #95
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
I've not read your thread - just the OP.

Why? Bravado, recklessness, testicular fortitude, depression, stimulant use, alcohol use, adrenaline craving, stupidity, skill, arrogance, anger, joy, nihilism, exuberance . . . and many more reasons.
Make sure to include in your will a hold harmless clause to the person who runs you over.

5 o clock rush hour traffic is not the time to let your emotions run wild on a motorcycle. Too many people at risk including yourself.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:50 AM   #96
Jacl-Kampuchea
Booze Merchant

Oddometer: 675
^

I wasn't referring to myself, don't worry.

I was answering a question you postulated, though I suspect it was more rhetorical than anything. . .
Old 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM   #97
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
^

I wasn't referring to myself, don't worry.

I was answering a question you postulated, though I suspect it was more rhetorical than anything. . .
YEs, more rhetorical than anything else.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:48 AM   #98
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
The difference is not only dimensional or "because you can". The difference here is putting yourself at greater risk than you did by riding on something that provides zero external protection in a collision.
Any mature individual on two wheels with the resources to utilize an alternative is knowingly accepting a greater risk. For many, that greater risk is part of the attraction.

I take it you have a great deal of difficulty wrapping your head around why people skydive, bungee jump, free climb, run with the bulls, etc, etc?
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #99
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Any mature individual on two wheels with the resources to utilize an alternative is knowingly accepting a greater risk. For many, that greater risk is part of the attraction.

I take it you have a great deal of difficulty wrapping your head around why people skydive, bungee jump, free climb, run with the bulls, etc, etc?
No. Those make perfect sense. You don't skydive with a chute that is too small or "questionable". You don't bungee jump with only one cuff on (there may be a version, but the more common one is two feet) or a cord that is too long. Free climbing...different game and in the same realm of what I'm speaking....complete disregard for personal safety when easily applicable equipment is available. However, this is a very different scenario...if you get cliffed in, its only you that splatters. If you wreck on a bike...the financial, physical, and mental damage to other parties is more than likely. Running with the bulls...again....only possible damage is to yourself...not others.

These are all risks that can negatively impact yourself and immediate family...in most cases steps are taken to promote the survivability of the event. When riding, you will affect the same people as above plus whatever third party is involved and ramifications brought unto them.

I would akin many of my points to that of free climbing. There is one more aspect of free climbing, its utility. Being able to climb any time anywhere with no gear and no restictions of movement or added weight. This is not the case with a wheelie at 5pm on a 5 lane highway.

If you're looking for a high...make sure it will only kill you and not any innocent bystanders.

On the flipside:

After taking the class, and spending some fun time on these machines...I do see the potential for fun, adrenaline, and danger....even within myself. I guarantee I will have my moments also...I will just have to enforce my feelings toward risk management. I don't forsee that being a problem for myself..but we'll see.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:00 PM   #100
fallingoff
Banned

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:

My instructor this weekend said it best, look at how you drive on the way home today. Do you find yourself boxed in driving faster than the rest of traffic or do you have adequate breaking distance and an escape route? Chances are these are the tendencies you will carry with you in riding.

You can have all the skill in the world, but if the soccer mom in the Escalade wants in your lane...shes going to take it...regardless of your hours spent at Laguna Secca or how many thousands of miles you've logged. Better to not even put yourself in the scenario.

Ragrding passing on the right.....I thnk the point has been lost here. Its not passing that is a problem...its passing when there is NO LANE.

Time and place as with all thing.
+1

nice post
fallingoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:43 PM   #101
dave43
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
So maybe about now is the time to stop posting and go riding!
Then come back on this thread in 12 months and tell us how you see it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #102
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave43 View Post
So maybe about now is the time to stop posting and go riding!
Then come back on this thread in 12 months and tell us how you see it.
Sadly...I'm still on the waitlist. THe bike isn't in my hands yet. Soon enough...soon enough.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:27 PM   #103
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Quote:

If you are riding something that has very little between you and the 60mph ground below you..you...
I am wondering what someone as into risk management as you are, has bought for gear? You must believe in ATGATT right? I would think you have already bought it, haven't you?

Did you wear ATGATT when taking your motorcycle course? If you didn't then I call , and you lose all credibility.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:57 PM   #104
Sniperx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThumperStorm View Post
I am wondering what someone as into risk management as you are, has bought for gear? You must believe in ATGATT right? I would think you have already bought it, haven't you?

Did you wear ATGATT when taking your motorcycle course? If you didn't then I call , and you lose all credibility.
I'm flattered you give me any credibility at all....

In any case. Yes, I have all my gear, minus the shoes. I do have some high quality boots that will probably get me by in the mean time though. I picked up a hit-air jacket here on flea market. I got another jacket (water proof/lined) and pants in a combo set with gloves and helmet at a local retailer.

Does my gear meet your approval oh wise-one.....or should I have sprung for the 600usd snell rated Shoei helmet that can withstand a 200mph crash......never mind the rest of the jelly behind that once was your body.

I did purchase my own helmet for the course (which I returned when I understood what my needs were). I didn't have the rest at that time....however...peaking at 98 degrees, sitting on a hot engine listening to a lecture then riding at a blistering speed of 18mph....I felt the course requirement of gloves, ankle boots, jeans, and long sleeved top was enough. To top it all off, it was a closed course in a parking lot. I felt comfortable enough with that level of risk....

Why I'm feeling the need to justify myself to a bunch of low-t medded internets nudnicks.....is still a mystery to me...but its fun.

Sounds to me like I touched a nerve in a squid (comes from squirrely kid...so I can use it now) here. Maybe you've had some close calls that resulted in you wrongly giving the finger to some innocent driver....whose blind spot you were cruising in. Or maybe you're the guy on killboy who clipped the ditch on a curve trying to pass a slower rider on the right....when you KNOW hes going to go for the inside of the curve at the apex. Or......maybe just a guy with an internet connection and a Ducatti that rides only on Sundays during months without an R or a T in them. Or.......

What a nozzle....really
Old 08-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #105
ThumperStorm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
What is with the name calling? Little immature don't you think?

I sure hope I haven't hurt your feelings.