ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM   #1
rollinrob OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Ozzies BMW

They don't make them like this any more.

RIP Oswald "Ozzie" Auer

"It is with very heavy hearts and much sadness that we say yesterday we lost an incredible and beloved man, Ozzie Auer Sr. It is a terrible loss and he will be missed by all of us. His remarkable legacy will continue to live on with his family, friends, and here at the shop.

We are grateful for the support and kindness of those who share our feelings for Ozzie. We know many of you will mourn with us. Information about a celebration of life is still forthcoming and will be posted as soon as it's finalized and available".
rollinrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 06:59 PM   #2
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,929
I read this last night. He's really going to be missed.

Ozzie was always really good to me, never more so than when I was racing my R75. I won my first race at Sears Point in 2000, which was a real shock to me. About 10 minutes after I pulled into my pit, here came Ozzie and Norbert Nickel shambling all the way from their pit at the far end. When they got to me, they were all smiles, and Ozzie said: "Ve just vanted to congratulate you! Ve don't zee too many BMW's vinnin' races these days!" Then they shambled off. For the rest of the weekend, every time I'd exit the track and ride by their pit, Ozzie and his guys would doff their caps and wave to me. The consideration that he showed me meant just as much as the first win did.

Thanks Ozzie, you were truly one of a kind.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:18 PM   #3
TL Mac
TL Mac

Oddometer: 19
Ozzie---an ICON

We live near Chico and we have bought 5 bikes from an ICON.. He is soo much more than that.. His beautiful family still carry on the business. but Ozzie was special .. we will miss him and I hope to keep info going as to what celebration of life they might do for him.. Ozzie ... you are missed I love you ...Linda
TL Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:37 PM   #4
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,988
RIP

Very sad news. One of the great guys in the world of motorcycling.

I grew up in Chico and bought a couple of bikes from Ozzie, went on shop rides, rallies, etc.
One of his techs was a riding buddy and it was just a great bunch of memories I have of those years.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
RaffyK
Bikeholic/Farkleholic

Oddometer: 362
RIP Ozzie.

Last time I was at the shop was about 13 years ago. He will be missed.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:49 PM   #6
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

I cross-posted this to the Airheads section in Old School.

Another Ozzie story;

Every time I rode up to buy parts Ozzie always had a question or three about what I was working on and what I'd done recently. He was like a professor when he did this, which was really neat. I'd get a little smile when I got the answers right, and a bigger smile when I got them wrong. He'd let me hang a bit before giving me advise, too.
Ozzie was also a great parts salesman. There used to be a nice stash of Airhead stuff behind the shop, and when I'd come up and ask for something he'd wave his hand toward the back room and tell me to find it myself. This was damned shrewd, because he knew that I'd find a hundred bucks more stuff than I intended to buy that day.

Steve McQueen

Old 02-24-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
Hop-Sing
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 506
Ozzies BMW

When everything else changed, Ozzies BMW didn't.
Dang it. RIP Ozzie.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:03 AM   #8
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,399
Oh man..... That guy is seriously going to be missed. I've never had the opportunity to meet him, but have heard great stories about him and his generosity!!! Wheels to the sky brother Ozzie!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
KhaoSanMan
Airhead

Oddometer: 586
Ozzie was incredibly generous to me and my family, and I feel lucky to have known him and to experience his passion for his work. He will be missed and I appreciate all him and his family and employees have done for me.

A little story:

Ozzie always had the reputation for trusting the original factory design (outside of racing of course). I'll never forget the lecture when I asked if I should lube the splines on my GS! But surprisingly he was very helpful to me when I began working on my custom R100. He would help me find parts out back and would talk me through the parts I was working on. Always giving me his time generously.

One day I drove my truck over to his shop with the project bike in the bed of it, and went in to buy some parts. As I spoke with the parts guy Chris we notice Ozzie walking over to my truck outside. "oh no..." I say as I presume a lecture is coming about how I've messed up this formerly honorable machine. After a good 5 mins of him just staring at my project he finally walks back inside and looks at me... "Nice Truck."
KhaoSanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaoSanMan View Post
Ozzie was incredibly generous to me and my family, and I feel lucky to have known him and to experience his passion for his work. He will be missed and I appreciate all him and his family and employees have done for me.

A little story:

Ozzie always had the reputation for trusting the original factory design (outside of racing of course). I'll never forget the lecture when I asked if I should lube the splines on my GS! But surprisingly he was very helpful to me when I began working on my custom R100. He would help me find parts out back and would talk me through the parts I was working on. Always giving me his time generously.

One day I drove my truck over to his shop with the project bike in the bed of it, and went in to buy some parts. As I spoke with the parts guy Chris we notice Ozzie walking over to my truck outside. "oh no..." I say as I presume a lecture is coming about how I've messed up this formerly honorable machine. After a good 5 mins of him just staring at my project he finally walks back inside and looks at me... "Nice Truck."
I rode up there about 10 years or so ago on an '87 Ninja 750 that I had gotten for a song. I was going to get parts for the R90, and Ozzie spent about 20 minutes quizzing me on the Ninja. For some reason he loved that bike. I offered him the keys, but that would have cut into his Saturday lunch with the guys, so he declined.
It was always fun to talk racing with him, too.

Steve McQueen

Old 02-25-2015, 05:06 PM   #11
brewmike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
ozzie

what a great man! He would come out and look at what we were riding. Even gave me a tee shirt for free. r. i. p. I hope you get to ride in heaven with my dad.
These guy were the pioneers of motorcycling!
brewmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:25 AM   #12
DaFoole
Lewddite at large...

Oddometer: 4,173
Only met him a few times but was always helpful (and appropriately critical when called for...) with my many, many questions.

We've lost a legend....
Old 02-27-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,852
Ozzie helped a bunch the time I swapped the frame out on a 1976 R75/6,he knew,that I knew less about airheads then most cats or dogs,but he appreciated that I wanted to do it. Spent much time with me getting various things adjusted right,found a frame in his attic,some rare straight oem fork tubes,and many new small parts that Lily dug up went on the thing. Ozzie liked the old beemers a lot,always tried to help.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:16 PM   #14
upsscott
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Oh Lily. 😍
upsscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:14 PM   #15
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by upsscott View Post