ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #136
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
I know where the DV sign is near Manson Cabin but where is it on Southpark loop? Any pics?

Here it is heading up Pleasant:

I'm not sure if I have a pic of the sign in South Park, if I remember right the sign is just uphill from the brush tunnel. I've seen non-plated bikes up in the park riding the loop..probably trouble if they saw a ranger, but that's pretty rare up there.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #137
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,430
Quote:
I just talked with the Inyo County Road Maint. department in Independence. They are the ones who grade the roads in Saline Valley including North and South Pass.

They said there were 5' snow drifts still on South Pass and they begin grading the roads when the snow melts, usually mid March but this year they have received much more snow than normal.

She also said there have been recent reports of multiple vehicles stranded on Steele Pass but she didn't have any details or know if they are still there.

Their office is open from 8-5 Mon-Fri so if you want to get the latest info on current dirt road conditions in Saline Valley, call 760-878-0202.
Jim,

Here are some other sources of DV road info.

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

The latter is a newer forum (a splinter group from DVTalk I think) but it is easier forum to navigate and has a section on Road Conditions. The perspective is almost always from 4 Wheelers, and there's a good write-up and pics of them breaking thru South Pass last week. There was also a bulldozer that someone had parked to block the road at a lower elevation and they had to do some road work to make a path around it.

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 05:29 PM   #138
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Jim,

Here are some other sources of DV road info.

http://www.deathvalley.com/dvtalk/dvtalk.shtml

http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

The latter is a newer forum (a splinter group from DVTalk I think) but it is easier forum to navigate and has a section on Road Conditions. The perspective is almost always from 4 Wheelers, and there's a good write-up and pics of them breaking thru South Pass last week. There was also a bulldozer that someone had parked to block the road at a lower elevation and they had to do some road work to make a path around it.
Thanks. The more info the better.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #139
Groucho
Hexhead Hoon

Oddometer: 470
We were just out there this weekend - snow level was around 5.5k'. As the road report states most pass roads are closed, and the rangers mean it - we were contemplating checking out the Charcoal Kilns past the ROAD CLOSED sign when a ranger strongly advised that we learn to freakin' read.

Still good riding to be had - it's just difficult to actually transit through to anywhere.

Another storm is hitting today, and looks like a bigger / colder one due Friday. More snow.

2008 BMW R1200GSA Schnellpanzerkampfmotorrad
1977 Moto Guzzi 850-T3 FB
Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:25 AM   #140
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
We were just out there this weekend - snow level was around 5.5k'. As the road report states most pass roads are closed, and the rangers mean it - we were contemplating checking out the Charcoal Kilns past the ROAD CLOSED sign when a ranger strongly advised that we learn to freakin' read.

Still good riding to be had - it's just difficult to actually transit through to anywhere.

Another storm is hitting today, and looks like a bigger / colder one due Friday. More snow.
I don't know what it is about riding off road that affects ones ability to read road signs. Some of the 4x4 folks can't read at all, see some of the links in earlier posts......

My guess is that the Rangers don't want to go on any more rescue missions than they have to. I wonder how long a set of studded tires would last on a weekend ride.....

We sure need the rain and snow out here in the West but dang, I can't wait for some of those passes to open up.

I'm planning a ride over The Escape Route and Echo Pass in a few weeks and I hope they open Titus Canyon up by then but if not, I'm not going to complain about all the rain we have been getting.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #141
Slickrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Riding Death Valley March 5 Road Updates?

Driving down from Seattle for a quick trip to Vegas. Planning on riding out of Beatty this Fri. I have only been thru Death Valley on my road bike, so this time I have my Husky 450 in the back of the truck. Was looking forward to Titus Canyon & then doing a loop via Racetrack South Pass back down to Panamint Springs, but it appears that Titus & South Pass will be closed. Also seems like my best best is to stay below 5000 ft to avoid the snow & ice. Thinking of Chloride & Echo Canyon instead. Any updates on roads?
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 AM   #142
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick
Driving down from Seattle for a quick trip to Vegas. Planning on riding out of Beatty this Fri. I have only been thru Death Valley on my road bike, so this time I have my Husky 450 in the back of the truck. Was looking forward to Titus Canyon & then doing a loop via Racetrack South Pass back down to Panamint Springs, but it appears that Titus & South Pass will be closed. Also seems like my best best is to stay below 5000 ft to avoid the snow & ice. Thinking of Chloride & Echo Canyon instead. Any updates on roads?
I was just down there last weekend and it snowed on me at the Geoloigists Cabin, 4200' elev. I knew South Pass was closed, so I didn't bother with it. There was a lot of water in the park. Echo Canyon was open and I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting to Chloride. I will say that step on Echo is pretty tough. I didn't do it, but then again if I was on a 450 I would've.

Here's my RR...
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=92413

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 PM   #143
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Great RR!

Nice photo of West side RD.... usually a dirt highway.

I was out there last night... From the sky I watched 2 vehicles taking on Mengal Pass at night. Must of been an interesting trip in the dark.

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...4&d=1267599975
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 AM   #144
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
I was just down there last weekend and it snowed on me at the Geoloigists Cabin, 4200' elev. I knew South Pass was closed, so I didn't bother with it. There was a lot of water in the park. Echo Canyon was open and I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting to Chloride. I will say that step on Echo is pretty tough. I didn't do it, but then again if I was on a 450 I would've.

Here's my RR...
http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=92413

Cheers!
Very good report. I talked with the Death Valley Ranger today and West Side Road is open but she said there is a lot of deep mud and a you have to cross the Amagosa River. She said the water in that river can be running very fast after a recent storm. How deep was it when you crossed?

When you reached the intersection of Warm Springs Road and West Side Road, which way did you turn to connect to Badwater road, north or south?

I will be riding the Escape Route, Mengle Pass and Echo Canyon next weekend from Ridgecrest.

Titus Canyon is closed because of the road between Rhyolite and Leadville has some serious damage and washouts. They don't know if it will be open by next weekend.

I hope to be able to ride up and over the steps of Echo Canyon. I'm bring a point and shoot camera and just bought a GoPro Hero HD helmet camera to get some video of our group riding over these passes. Should be a good time.

Looked like you had fun. Did you ride the escape route from Trona to Goler Wash? If you did, which way did you turn, north or south, when you reach the lake bed on the east side of The Escape Route? I haven't heard from anyone who has taken a south route around this lake bed from eastern end of the Escape Route and the entrance to Goler Wash. I hope to do a scouting ride next Friday, if we have time, see how much water is in that lake bed.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #145
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:
I haven't heard from anyone who has taken a south route around this lake bed from eastern end of the Escape Route and the entrance to Goler Wash. I hope to do a scouting ride next Friday, if we have time, see how much water is in that lake bed.

I go that way all the time, Jim. There can be soft spots even during dry times, from all of the pictures that I've been seeing recently I'd doubt that you could go either direction after coming down the Escape Trail.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:55 AM   #146
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Quote:
How deep was it when you crossed?

When you reached the intersection of Warm Springs Road and West Side Road, which way did you turn to connect to Badwater road, north or south?

Looked like you had fun. Did you ride the escape route from Trona to Goler Wash? If you did, which way did you turn, north or south, when you reach the lake bed on the east side of The Escape Route? I haven't heard from anyone who has taken a south route around this lake bed from eastern end of the Escape Route and the entrance to Goler Wash. I hope to do a scouting ride next Friday, if we have time, see how much water is in that lake bed.
It wasn't deep at all. Maybe 6 inches. I crossed it again further south on Harry Wade Rd and it was wider and a bt deeper, but still nothing to worry about.

On the first day of my trip I turned north on WS Rd. That's where the salty water pics came from. The rest of the time I turned south. The water crossing was about a quarter mile from Bad Water Rd.

I'm not familiar with the escape route, although I'm pretty sure I didn't take it. I just burned pavement over to Ballarat, then headed south on the mining companies road.

Is the escape route the single track that you get to on the fire road that goes past the Trona golf course then up into the Slate Range? The single track then drops you down off the east side of the Slate Range into the Panamint Valley about 10 miles south of Ballarat and on the opposite side of the valley. I've done that several times on dirtbikes, once going up on my DRZ fully loaded returning from the Black Rock Desert, and swore never to take a big bike down it.

Oh yeah, If the escape route involves going across the normaly dry lake in the Panamint valley (you can see it behind my bike in the pic) I think you'll have some trouble with that. You could go kayaking out there when I rode past it.

Cheers!

T O Double D screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 08:03 AM
Old 03-07-2010, 08:59 AM   #147
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
I did the escape route on my '02 GSA last year....

There are hard ways (looks like you went the hard way) and easier ways to get over it (that's the route I was on).

Most of it was jeep width, just steep and loose downhills on the East side and the nice rock garden near the flats.

Black Rock Desert? I'm going to do some riding up that way this May, did you post a RR for that one?

Looking towards Ballarat...

A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #148
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 166
I just returned from 5 days in DV. Here's the road conditions:

The Escape Road (Manly Pass) is in fine condition. You can turn either N. or S. once you get down the eastern side. No water on the road either way.
We turned down S. towards Goler and no problems. I've never done this before. Fun road.

South Pass into Saline is very easy now with a little snow and mud in Grapevine, but no big deal. You could do it in a 2 wheel drive truck.

Saline Rd down by the lake is the smoothest I've ever seen. The springs were beautiful.

Lippencott Rd is also in very good condition and was no problem going up on loaded KLR's. The Racetrack is dry and you can walk on it. The Racetrack Rd is also in great condition.

Have Fun.
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 05:33 PM   #149
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Dano thanks for the update! You didn't by chance cruise by Cerro Gordo or White Mountain Talc rd did you? I'm leading a ride there Apr. 9th and am nervous about the pass being open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
I did the escape route on my '02 GSA last year....

There are hard ways (looks like you went the hard way) and easier ways to get over it (that's the route I was on).

Most of it was jeep width, just steep and loose downhills on the East side and the nice rock garden near the flats.

Black Rock Desert? I'm going to do some riding up that way this May, did you post a RR for that one?

Looking towards Ballarat...
Yep, looks like I know what you're talking about on the escape route. I just never knew it had a name.

The first two rides in my sig line include the BRD. I think the ones I posted on our local forum are better though. There's links to google maps so you can see where I was...

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=80564

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=84375

Cheers!
Old 03-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #150
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 166
We didn't go to Cerro Gordo this trip. I suspect that the front road (up from Keeler) is open but I doubt that the back side is. Snow level is still at 5000-6000 feet. I have not heard about anyone getting through Hunter Mt. either.
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote