ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 08:32 PM   #151
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Yep, looks like I know what you're talking about on the escape route. I just never knew it had a name.

If you find the exact route there is a sign:

Enjoyed your report at South Bay!!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #152
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Larry, you going to make it to the DV noob ride? I know it's a bit crowded for your style, but it will be a good time.

(One of the other signs)

As for Cerro Gordo, I should get a good recce on it in the next week. I was out there twice last week, Thursday night I watched some people make it down Mengal Pass in the dark...

Friday, I was a bit too busy to spend much time sight seeing.

I'll post what I see this week.
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #153
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanOGrande
I just returned from 5 days in DV. Here's the road conditions:

The Escape Road (Manly Pass) is in fine condition. You can turn either N. or S. once you get down the eastern side. No water on the road either way.
We turned down S. towards Goler and no problems. I've never done this before. Fun road.

South Pass into Saline is very easy now with a little snow and mud in Grapevine, but no big deal. You could do it in a 2 wheel drive truck.

Saline Rd down by the lake is the smoothest I've ever seen. The springs were beautiful.

Lippencott Rd is also in very good condition and was no problem going up on loaded KLR's. The Racetrack is dry and you can walk on it. The Racetrack Rd is also in great condition.

Have Fun.
Thanks for the update. There are two routes over Manly Pass (The Escape Route) but I have only taken the easier one which is easy to follow because you just follow the road. Glad to know we can ride either north or south around the lake bed to get to Goler Wash. I think the southerly route should be quicker. I'm going to try to scout this section this Friday before our ride starts Saturday.

Were the "Road Closed" signs up for South Pass? The Death Valley site still shows this road closed as of 3/6/10.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:01 PM   #154
DanOGrande
vorn and confused

Oddometer: 166
The southerly route to Goler would be a lot quicker after crossing Manly Pass. The north would take you up to Ballerat (comes out just where the road starts to cross the lake).

The closed signs are still on South Pass. One just at hiway 190, the other a few miles in. Ignore them. SP is as easy as ever.

Again, have a good time.
DanOGrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:27 PM   #155
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
Larry, you going to make it to the DV noob ride? I know it's a bit crowded for your style, but it will be a good time.

I'm limited on time off this year(furlough days), so I'm going to have to wait until November to get down there.

I'm going to have to find all of those signs..nice picture!! I've been to the one at Rogers Pass and the one at the bottom of the Escape Trail.
Old 03-08-2010, 06:41 PM   #156
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314

Commemorative signs along the Escape Trail, Fish Canyon, and the Silent Sepulchre
loner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:35 AM   #157
Slickrick
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just Back from DV

I was there last Fri 3-5. Titus was still closed but West Side Rd was open even though it showed closed on the Park website. We avoided the high passes as well. Chloride was a good ride, just watch out for washes in the valley from Beatty. Water crossing on the south end of West side was shallow. Furnace Creek Rd from Shoshone was dry but it did get cold as it climbed up to Dante's View. Ended up putting back on all the gear we stripped out of down in West Side. Wanted to do Echo on the way to Beatty but ran out of time & just redid Chloride back out.
Slickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #158
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickrick
I was there last Fri 3-5. Titus was still closed but West Side Rd was open even though it showed closed on the Park website. We avoided the high passes as well. Chloride was a good ride, just watch out for washes in the valley from Beatty. Water crossing on the south end of West side was shallow. Furnace Creek Rd from Shoshone was dry but it did get cold as it climbed up to Dante's View. Ended up putting back on all the gear we stripped out of down in West Side. Wanted to do Echo on the way to Beatty but ran out of time & just redid Chloride back out.
I'm heading to DV this Friday and plan to ride from Beatty to Dante's View on Sunday and then south on Furnace Creek Rd to Shoshone, for gas, and then back over Mengle Pass if Titus Canyon is still closed. That would be much more dirt for Sunday rather than taking 190 to Wildrose and then Indian Guide road to Ballarat.

I'm open to any suggestions for a route on Sunday from Beatty to Ridgecrest if Titus Canyon is closed. We can back track our Saturday route over Echo Pass to Westside road, Mengle, Trona and Ridgecrest or we could ride the other route I mentioned. We really want to ride through Titus because many in our group have never been to Death Valley and Titus is a highlight.

Thanks for the update on Westside Road.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #159
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Cerro Gordo didn't look so good. Still covered in white stuff.

I'll get a better look tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Dano thanks for the update! You didn't by chance cruise by Cerro Gordo or White Mountain Talc rd did you? I'm leading a ride there Apr. 9th and am nervous about the pass being open.

Yep, looks like I know what you're talking about on the escape route. I just never knew it had a name.

The first two rides in my sig line include the BRD. I think the ones I posted on our local forum are better though. There's links to google maps so you can see where I was...

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=80564

http://www.southbayriders.com/forums...ad.php?t=84375

Cheers!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #160
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,023
Echo Canyon is open and easily done on 650's (though none of us 'cleaned' the waterfall). Saline Valley Road (at 190) had a 'Road Closed' sign this morning. I spoke with some guys on 990 Adventures who went around the gate for Titus Canyon and had no issues (with street tires to boot) on Saturday. Pleasant Canyon is still snowed in at Clair's Cabin. I'm assuming that South Park is in similar condition. The lake bed at Ballarat is still wet with some standing water. Mengel Pass is clear of snow, too. West Side Road has had some work done on it to smooth out the washouts, so it's an easy bomb run.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #161
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron
Echo Canyon is open and easily done on 650's (though none of us 'cleaned' the waterfall). Saline Valley Road (at 190) had a 'Road Closed' sign this morning. I spoke with some guys on 990 Adventures who went around the gate for Titus Canyon and had no issues (with street tires to boot) on Saturday. Pleasant Canyon is still snowed in at Clair's Cabin. I'm assuming that South Park is in similar condition. The lake bed at Ballarat is still wet with some standing water. Mengel Pass is clear of snow, too. West Side Road has had some work done on it to smooth out the washouts, so it's an easy bomb run.

We once looked at the closed entry gate to Titus Canyon. There is no way you're getting around that one! Unless you cut the barb wire fencing..

They may have gone in from the bottom gate. That would be a major problem if the Fed Ranger caught you doing that..

The road closed signs on Saline Valley are by Inyo County, and are probably put up more for liability reasons. Lots of big boulders right now over South Pass!
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #162
rinconrider
Sir Crash-a-lot

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron
Pleasant Canyon is still snowed in at Clair's Cabin. I'm assuming that South Park is in similar condition.
I stayed in the lower briggs cabin on friday night, up south park. the snow is past that up on the loop to pleasant. so you can make it up to each cabin, just not around the loop.

pleasant as you know is a fun, pretty easy ride up to both cabins, and there isn't a ton of water on the old road going down. fun ride on that one, water and bushwacking. nothing too daunting. a highlight of saline valley, i would encourage anyone going to do pleasent canyon. just agree which way up/down you will all go so you won't run into each other on the tight old part.

wes

08 R1200R (mostly stock)
08 WR250R (all done)
rinconrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #163
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Here's an update...

Still lot's of snow in the high country.

Saline RD North pass had a few stretches that were pretty long with snow on them. South pass had snow on the North side of the Mtns. I didn't get a close enough of a look to see if the road was clear, but the down hill portion on Saline tends to hide in the shade and stay icey for a while after most of the snow is gone.. I would guess there is still some ice there.

Good news is Steel pass looked good, new record for you River Rat....

Steel Pass in 1+minute and 50 seconds. I didn't see any big wash outs... looks like the same ol gravel slurry climbing up from the Springs.

Sorry, no pics from Death... here's one on the way home.

The snow pack in the Sierra looks healthy.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #164
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Now that's a record!

Think there enough snow by the south road to fill up a 162 Qt cooler?

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 PM   #165
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Now that's a record!

Think there enough snow by the south road to fill up a 162 Qt cooler?

Yep,

There's plenty of snow on South Pass for coolers. No ice on the road though
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote