ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #181
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Oddometer: 974
Jim,

You should start packing and join us for the nOObs ride....

It's going to be a great weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
I don't care how you made it through Mengel, doing a "go around" or not, it takes someone with serious skills to ride a bike that heavy on that trail including the small steps in Goler Wash and all the loose gravel and rocks.

I rode my fully loaded GSA as far as the small steps into Goler Wash before turning around because I didn't want to risk dropping it. It was a handful for me up to that point and that wasn't even the hard part.
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #182
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
Jim,

You should start packing and join us for the nOObs ride....

It's going to be a great weekend.
I would if I could.........you know.......woulda, shoulda, coulda......there is no place I'd rather be this time of year than riding Death Valley.

Be sure to check out some of those trails on the west side of the lake bed south/west of Ballarat and post lots of pictures. That is one area in particular that hasn't been very well documented in ride reports. The trails don't show up on any of the maps I have. The riders I know that have ridden this area have found the trails with roll charts from organized rides from the past.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:25 PM   #183
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,197
Quote:
I was surprised how rocky the trail was on the east side of Echo Canyon but we were on a trail that winds up at "Big Dune". Is that the route you took when you rode Echo Canyon?

We went around the south side of that mountain that lies west of Big Dune, then bushwhacked up the riverbed to Big Dune. Quite a fun stretch, actually.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #184
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

Quote:
Be sure to check out some of those trails on the west side of the lake bed south/west of Ballarat and post lots of pictures. That is one area in particular that hasn't been very well documented in ride reports. The trails don't show up on any of the maps I have. The riders I know that have ridden this area have found the trails with roll charts from organized rides from the past.
Last year, right before I moved from Ridgecrest to Hanford, there was a press on to make the entire Slate Range a Wilderness area.

Does anyone know if that was shot down, or are they still looking to close it off?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #185
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
n00b intelligence report (is that possible??)

north pass pictures

stuck feds:

with three of us we were able to push that pig of an avalanche out

about a mile of this

break after working the hard section

always carry extra fuel and supplies to spend a night or two.

southbound is much more difficult than northbound

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:07 PM   #186
joefromsf
Dark Happens

Oddometer: 1,506
RiverRat,

Did you happen to check out Hunter Mtn Rd?
joefromsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #187
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,104
Quote:
Last year, right before I moved from Ridgecrest to Hanford, there was a press on to make the entire Slate Range a Wilderness area.

Does anyone know if that was shot down, or are they still looking to close it off?

I think they're still trying to ruin it and close it as wilderness.

The true Escape Route would be cherry stemmed, but the rest would go away.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:45 PM   #188
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
I was surprised how rocky the trail was on the east side of Echo Canyon but we were on a trail that winds up at "Big Dune". Is that the route you took when you rode Echo Canyon?

No, I've yet to go to Big Dune..it's on the list for this coming fall. I've gone out towards the houses a few times, I forget what they call that group of houses. I go past the Death Valley Park sign this way.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:15 PM   #189
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
No, I've yet to go to Big Dune..it's on the list for this coming fall. I've gone out towards the houses a few times, I forget what they call that group of houses. I go past the Death Valley Park sign this way.
I don't know if those group of houses have a name but there is a mining business of some kind a short distance west of these houses.

We rode south from Beatty on 95 and then turned south/west on Mojave Rd (dirt) and then west on Frontier Rd (dirt) through the houses and then the road made a hard left but the GPS showed we were supposed to keep going west.

We followed the dirt road south after the turn but we then came to a "Private Road" sign to a mining operation that was clearly not on the route so we back tracked a short distance and followed the GPS route and "cross countried it" a few hundred yards to where we connected to a "very rocky road" and the Echo Canyon Trail even though there were no signs to indicate we were on the correct road.

We didn't see another sign until were were well past "the steps". I just followed my GPS route. There were multiple "off shoots" off the trail to the north and south and we would have spent many hours chasing down dead ends (it happened once but we quickly got back on track) if I hadn't had created a route with Mapsource before we started. A paper map wouldn't have been very helpful either to help me follow the correct route through Echo Canyon. I think a GPS is a requirement if you want to stay on the Echo Canyon route.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #190
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
n00b intelligence report (is that possible??)

north pass pictures

stuck feds:

with three of us we were able to push that pig of an avalanche out

about a mile of this

break after working the hard section

always carry extra fuel and supplies to spend a night or two.

southbound is much more difficult than northbound
So.......RiverRat..........are you saying you made it all the way over North Pass and the feds were OK with you riding on this road right now?

Why is South Pass harder right now? Is it because of ice, snow, mud, rocks on the road or all of the above? I rode in and out of South Pass two years ago on an XR650L and dropped that bike twice on ice riding south on two separate sections of ice before reaching the summit. I don't get along very well with ice. I'm anxious to ride North and South Pass but I can wait a few more weeks for it to clear up a little more.

North Pass and Steele Pass are on my "to ride" list.

Thanks for the updates.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #191
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack

I think RR was saying that going South on North pass is harder right now.

Last I heard from Spafxer was that South pass was clear of ice and snow a week ago
Old 03-23-2010, 07:25 PM   #192
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
I don't know if those group of houses have a name but there is a mining business of some kind a short distance west of these houses.

We rode south from Beatty on 95 and then turned south/west on Mojave Rd (dirt) and then west on Frontier Rd (dirt) through the houses and then the road made a hard left but the GPS showed we were supposed to keep going west.

We followed the dirt road south after the turn but we then came to a "Private Road" sign to a mining operation that was clearly not on the route so we back tracked a short distance and followed the GPS route and "cross countried it" a few hundred yards to where we connected to a "very rocky road" and the Echo Canyon Trail even though there were no signs to indicate we were on the correct road.

We didn't see another sign until were were well past "the steps". I just followed my GPS route. There were multiple "off shoots" off the trail to the north and south and we would have spent many hours chasing down dead ends (it happened once but we quickly got back on track) if I hadn't had created a route with Mapsource before we started. A paper map wouldn't have been very helpful either to help me follow the correct route through Echo Canyon. I think a GPS is a requirement if you want to stay on the Echo Canyon route.

I think it might be called Amargosa. Yeah, the rocky section is right after the houses as you head for Echo Canyon. I've asked the old timers that know a lot more than I do if there is a name for the pass thru there and there isn't..Echo Canyon is known as the area well down the canyon from the Inyo Mine..the steps and pass were never named..just a route thru the Funeral Mtn's. I've never used GPS thru there...paper map only.

I can't wait to get back down there...
Old 03-23-2010, 08:31 PM   #193
RiverRat
Endless Chores

Oddometer: 3,836
Quote:
So.......RiverRat..........are you saying you made it all the way over North Pass and the feds were OK with you riding on this road right now?

Why is South Pass harder right now?
I think they were grateful for the help getting unstuck. There is traffic on north pass.

----

South pass is dry but rutted and very washboard. It will kill bikes with poor suspensions If you haul ass there is this one boulder in the middle of the road around a blind corner. watch out for that one. almost got me

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #194
StevefrmGV
MotoBro's RetroCycle's

Oddometer: 400
Just got back. 3-22

South Pass no problem. Lipincott pass no prob. Steel pass no problem. Dont know about the North Pass or Pleasant Canyon.

Quote:
I hope to return to Death Valley soon and would like to hear a first hand report of the conditions in Pleasant Canyon near Ballarat and the North and South Pass dirt roads in Saline Valley.

Any info of current conditions is appreciated. The DV park web site doesn't give much detail and I think they have stopped doing the "morning report" as it isn't updated a much as it has been in the past.

DV has gotten snow lately from the recent storms and than can mean ice on some of the dirt roads sections that are shaded all day.

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #195
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
I think RR was saying that going South on North pass is harder right now.

Last I heard from Spafxer was that South pass was clear of ice and snow a week ago
Thanks for the clarification. I need to read more carefully.