ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2010, 02:24 AM   #211
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Absolutly! Any group of over 20 motorcycles needs a permit and $1,000,000 of liability insurance! Been to court several times!

Ouch!! No wonder you charge so much for your tours.

Maybe you should go pre-ride Hunter Mtn so you know what you're getting your riders into?
Old 03-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #212
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydosque
I am planning a 2-3 day DV trip, likely based out of Panamint Springs, and do days trips (Golar Wash, Saline/racetrack, etc). Should I put knobbies back on, or do you think the Avon's will be ok? Sounds like some of the routes are quite muddy right now... ? any thought/tips appreciated - thanks
Dunlop D606's front and back, nothing else for me. I would never ride a street oriented dual sport tire in Death Valley. Too many good dirt roads with a mix of the loose stuff and rocks, and you will be glad you mounted the D606.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:07 AM   #213
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Ouch!! No wonder you charge so much for your tours.

Maybe you should go pre-ride Hunter Mtn so you know what you're getting your riders into?
$90 is OUCH? I market to middle class people with real jobs! Great turn out for this weekend.

Went to Scotty's two weeks ago, rode to Hunter Mt. checking roll chart. Got about half way up switchbacks and hit snow. Had to send roll chart master to printer on Monday. Not much else I could do.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:08 AM   #214
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
Dunlop D606's front and back, nothing else for me. I would never ride a street oriented dual sport tire in Death Valley. Too many good dirt roads with a mix of the loose stuff and rocks, and you will be glad you mounted the D606.
The question was snow in Death Valley not rocks.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:54 AM   #215
luv2race
Confused

Oddometer: 2,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
The question was snow in Death Valley not rocks.
Wasn't talkin to you, I was attempting to help with a tire question. Now go enjoy your little ride.
Old 03-27-2010, 08:18 PM   #216
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ydosque
Jumping in here to ask advice from you Death Valley experts. planning my first motorcycle trip out to DV in mid-april. I just put Avon Distancias (rear) and gripster (front) on my XR650L, for I had several slab trips in the works.

I am planning a 2-3 day DV trip, likely based out of Panamint Springs, and do days trips (Golar Wash, Saline/racetrack, etc). Should I put knobbies back on, or do you think the Avon's will be ok? Sounds like some of the routes are quite muddy right now... ? any thought/tips appreciated - thanks
After using a variety of tires in the Mojave Desert for the past 17 years, I have settled on the Dunlop 606 front and rear because they have been great both on and off road. I like the 606 because it is one of the few tires with a stiff side wall and that helps prevent pinch flats.

One of my friends, on a ride in DV two weeks ago, had two pinch flats, one in Goler Wash and one in Echo Canyon (where you will find plenty of rocks but no snow or mud) because he wasn't using tires with stiff side walls and didn't have the extra heavy duty tubes. Both pinch flats were on the front tire, he was riding a Honda XR650R with a 6.6 gallon fuel tank and was running 17 psi in the front tire and was riding fast through the rocks.

None of the other 8 riders had any problem with flats.

I not only run 606's but also run Extra Heavy Duty tubes just to be on the safe side. Depending on how fast you ride through the rocks, and there are rocks just about everywhere in Death Valley when off road, you might also want to run at least 20 psi in your tires to help prevent pinch flats.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #217
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

I'm curious to know if anyone on the Noobs DV Ride last weekend, rode through North or South Pass? Looks like they rode Pleasant Canyon and South Park without any problems.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #218
Windrat
just a poser

Oddometer: 1,980
both north and south are open.... but a new storm is moving in
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #219
Riddler990
I Suck, You Rule.

Oddometer: 522
Rode Pleasant to South Park Sunday, don't know what route others took a day earlier, but we found no mc tracks over Rogers Pass....we left three sets though. picts to be posted in the nOObs report.
100 yard section before trail marker was a beeeeotch, snow and shale.
Riddler990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:33 AM   #220
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddler990
Rode Pleasant to South Park Sunday, don't know what route others took a day earlier, but we found no mc tracks over Rogers Pass....we left three sets though. picts to be posted in the nOObs report.
100 yard section before trail marker was a beeeeotch, snow and shale.
I've done parts of Pleasant Canyon and the lower part of South Park but haven't done the whole loop. Where is the "trail marker" in relation to the summit with the view?

I'm still amazed at how much there is to see in DV. Even after 7 trips, there are still sections I haven't completed like this particular loop. DV is so big it takes longer than you might think to complete many of the loops. The last time I attempted this loop, a snow storm stopped me last Thanksgiving.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:30 AM   #221
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
If I were doing the ride out to Teakettle this time of year I would go right. past the Racetrack, down Lippincott, and then over South Pass back to PSR for gas. If you go left to Hunter and cannot get through I am quite sure a lot of folks won't have enough gas to go back to Teakettle and then down Lippincott...

It would be very high risk to try Hunter without knowing if you can get through or not. JMO.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:19 PM   #222
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
If I were doing the ride out to Teakettle this time of year I would go right. past the Racetrack, down Lippincott, and then over South Pass back to PSR for gas. If you go left to Hunter and cannot get through I am quite sure a lot of folks won't have enough gas to go back to Teakettle and then down Lippincott...

It would be very high risk to try Hunter without knowing if you can get through or not. JMO.
Wath type o adventure guy you are

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:47 PM   #223
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
I'm still amazed at how much there is to see in DV. Even after 7 trips, there are still sections I haven't completed like this particular loop.
Iknow what you mean. This last weekend I was able to ride with our local KTM mechanic that has been riding down there since '86. We found some stuff that was new to him even, and very cool, albeit hard too get to. You think Mengel is bad, try that same thing for two miles instead of fifty feet!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #224
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Hunter is not really passable at the moment, at least not on adventure bikes. I talked to a coupla guys doing the DV 350 that were good dirtbikers on real dirtbikes and they said if it hadn't been for the Jeep that broke the trail before them they wouldn't have made it. In fact they said it was a complete pain as it was. I myself turned my 950 SE around after going throug the first snow drift.

Also I talked to a coupla guys, one on a GSA another on a Vee Strom, that said the road from east to west going to Cerro Gordo had too much snow on it for them.

Cheers!
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 12:51 PM   #225
ydosque
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
I picked up a spare set of wheels mounted with 606s off of the Advrider classifieds, (en route - thanks LGSroadking) so now I am set - got a set of street friendly Avons, and now dirt friendly 606s.... in 30 minutes I'll be ready for any terrain -

thanks for the tips - hoping to get to DV before month end...

Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
ydosque is offline   Reply With Quote