ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2012, 01:05 PM   #541
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmw View Post
we just rode....

Try that, worry less...ride more.

I just gave you live info from on the ground this morning...snow level is at 6k, SPass is 6k.

Flush the SPOT down the toilet, leave your friends at home, man-up and go for a ride.

I mostly kid.

Say hi, if you see I giant yeller BMW at the springs.

larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:44 PM   #542
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

Oddometer: 165
Ranger going to south pass today

I'm calling stove pipe ranger station around 4 today. There is a ranger driving south pass today.

Will say hi if we see you on the trail. Look for my friends very trick vintage Honda XR 600
oldbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:09 AM   #543
larryboy
Paint it black.

Ok, got some more info from a guy I know...snow level got as low as 3800 ft in some areas of the PV, but then it warmed up to 68f at Ballarat by 2:30 pm pushing the snow back to 6500 feet or so.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:50 AM   #544
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

Bobs report Friday morning 2/17/12

Just talked to bob and he said a dual sport should have no problem on south pass. Some ice, patches of snow.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:58 AM   #545
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

South pass Stove pipe park ranger report from yesterday

Park ranger south pass report yesterday: No chains required. Standard road conditions. No restrictions.*
(760) 786-2342
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #546
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,218
South Pass a "Go"

Looks like South Pass is a go for this Sunday. Should be a great weekend to ride Death Valley.

We will be looking for Rob on the Steele Pass trail and at the Springs.

There will be 7 in my group: 3 x DRZ400S's, 2 x KTM 525EXC's, WR450F and an "Ol Reliable" XR600.

If my routing information is correct, our longest segment between gas stops this weekend will be Sunday. We will ride from Beatty to Titus Canyon to Crankshaft Crossing to Eureka Dunes over Steele Pass to the Springs to South Pass and then stop at Panamint Springs for gas and spend the night there. That will be 191 miles if all goes as planned.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #547
larryboy
Paint it black.

It was great to meet you and your bunch, Jim!!!

North Pass northbound yesterday afternoon..I waited as long as possible for the ice to soften up a bit. I made it up the canyon, not sure I could have done it early in the morning. Southbound shouldn't be a problem on any bike.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:04 AM   #548
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It was great to meet you and your bunch, Jim!!!

North Pass northbound yesterday afternoon..I waited as long as possible for the ice to soften up a bit. I made it up the canyon, not sure I could have done it early in the morning. Southbound shouldn't be a problem on any bike.
Rob and his camping neighbor gave my group a warm welcome to Warm Springs in Saline Valley Sunday afternoon. Thanks Rob, for hanging around so we could meet up. Everyone in our group wants to take a ride to the Sacramento area and buy you dinner. The weather is just about perfect for some adventure bike riding.

Everyone was very impressed with what you have done with your BMW. Jim, oldbmw, restores old airheads and was impressed with your design and fabrication skills.

Thanks again for taking the time for the visit. Wish I could have stayed longer but I wanted to get over South Pass before dark.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #549
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Goler Wash, Mengle Pass, South Pass and South Park Updates

Just completed the best dual sport ride I have ever done in Death Valley. Our group of 7 rode about 500 miles in three days in just about ideal conditions.

The one surprise for me was how difficult the steps in Goler Wash were. Sometime during the last year, these steps were torn up and have not beed repaired. It now takes a rider with advanced skills to make it up these steps or three friends to help you through. I have never see these steps this bad in the past 5 years. 4x4 groups have stacked rocks which actually make it more difficult to ride up on a motorcycle.

There were three guys on KLR650's that needed to be towed up the steps by a 4x4. We found out a few days later, that two of these 650 riders hurt themselves trying to ride Goler Wash and Mengle Pass. One broke some ribs and a second rider broke an ankle. I understand they have little to no experience riding off road.

Mengle Pass on the other hand, was in the best shape I have ever seen it in. There was a three foot wide dirt path that made it easy to ride either direction.

South Pass has a few patches of snow on the side of the road but was easy to ride on a dual sport bike. It has some challenging sections for those on a heavy adventure bike. Some deep sand, rocks and washouts. I wouldn't recommend South Pass for beginner riders on an Adventure Bike.

South Park out of Ballarat had a few sections of ice above Chicken Rock on one side of the trail but that can be avoided if you stay on the other side. One of our riders went down on it because he thought it wouldn't be a problem but it can be. It is only about a 10 foot section of ice. That could change with any new storms in the future.

Our longest day between gas stops was 200 miles. My son and I made it all the way with our 4 gallon fuel tanks on the DRZ's as we got 53 MPG that day.

Day One: Rode from Ridgecrest to Trona to the Escape Route to Goler Wash to Mengle Pass to Furnace Creek and then gassed up. Then rode Echo Canyon to Beatty. This was the first time I had ridden the steps from west to east and I made it but just barely. These steps require an experienced rider or three friends to help you through.

Day Two: Beatty to Ryolite to Titus Canyon to Death Valley Road to Eureka Dunes to Steele Pass to Warm Springs where we met up with Larryboy. Then South Pass to Panamint Springs for the night.

Day Three: Panamint to Indian Ranch Road to Ballarat to Pleasant Canyon to South Park to the Escape Route to Trona and then back to Ridgecrest where we loaded up and headed home.

It was an amazing three day ride I would recommend these routes to anyone on a dual sport with good riding skills. I wouldn't recommend riding it alone unless you happen to be Larryboy.

2on2off screwed with this post 02-21-2012 at 03:20 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:54 PM   #550
SFKLR
BeniciaKTM?

Oddometer: 998
Well thanks very much for that report. I am a Death Valley virgin leaving for Shoshone on Thursday morning from SF. Taking two days to get there. Somehow I was led to believe I could just zip up and over Goler solo from the South on my overloaded 950SE. Now I think I'm going to approach from the 395, gas up at Big Pine, stick to the major dirt road over to the East side of the park and down to Furnace Creek. I feel very unprepared, but always feel that way before a trip.
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #551
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Well thanks very much for that report. I am a Death Valley virgin leaving for Shoshone on Thursday morning from SF. Taking two days to get there. Somehow I was led to believe I could just zip up and over Goler solo from the South on my overloaded 950SE. Now I think I'm going to approach from the 395, gas up at Big Pine, stick to the major dirt road over to the East side of the park and down to Furnace Creek. I feel very unprepared, but always feel that way before a trip.
Bring lots of water with you just in case and buy the Tom Harrison Map of Death Valley if you haven't already.

As of last weekend, I would say it is easier to ride Mengle Pass and Goler Wash from East to West because of how easy Mengle Pass is right now. The steps on Goler Wash are more difficult to ride West to East. This is just the opposite of what it has been like in the past number of years.

You will likely have no cell phone reception anywhere in Death Valley so be prepared for that should you need help. I believe a Spot will work everywhere in Death Valley but I have never owned one.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #552
German Trick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Just completed the best dual sport ride I have ever done in Death Valley. Our group of 7 rode about 500 miles in three days in just about ideal conditions.

It was an amazing three day ride I would recommend these routes to anyone on a dual sport with good riding skills. I wouldn't recommend riding it alone unless you happen to be Larryboy.
Hey, glad to see you guys made the big loop. We were the Jeeps you passed going down Mengel. Sounds like an awesome time and I know you had perfect weather.

BTW – That Larryboy dude gets around!

German Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #553
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Trick View Post
Hey, glad to see you guys made the big loop. We were the Jeeps you passed going down Mengel. Sounds like an awesome time and I know you had perfect weather.

BTW – That Larryboy dude gets around!

We always meet some of the friendliest people on our off road rides. You were probably disappointed about how easy Mengel Pass was. I'm sure you like a bit more of a challenge on your 4x4 drives.

It was Larryboys first ride report about Death Valley that got me started riding there. I think I've now taken over 14 trips to DV and still am finding new sections to ride.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #554
Hoologan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Quote:

The one surprise for me was how difficult the steps in Goler Wash were. Sometime during the last year, these steps were torn up and have not beed repaired. It now takes a rider with advanced skills to make it up these steps or three friends to help you through. I have never see these steps this bad in the past 5 years. 4x4 groups have stacked rocks which actually make it more difficult to ride up on a motorcycle.

There were three guys on KLR650's that needed to be towed up the steps by a 4x4. We found out a few days later, that two of these 650 riders hurt themselves trying to ride Goler Wash and Mengle Pass. One broke some ribs and a second rider broke an ankle. I understand they have little to no experience riding off road.

Mengle Pass on the other hand, was in the best shape I have ever seen it in. There was a three foot wide dirt path that made it easy to ride either direction.

South Pass has a few patches of snow on the side of the road but was easy to ride on a dual sport bike. It has some challenging sections for those on a heavy adventure bike. Some deep sand, rocks and washouts. I wouldn't recommend South Pass for beginner riders on an Adventure Bike.

South Park out of Ballarat had a few sections of ice above Chicken Rock on one side of the trail but that can be avoided if you stay on the other side. One of our riders went down on it because he thought it wouldn't be a problem but it can be. It is only about a 10 foot section of ice. That could change with any new storms in the future.

Our longest day between gas stops was 200 miles. My son and I made it all the way with our 4 gallon fuel tanks on the DRZ's as we got 53 MPG that day.

Day One: Rode from Ridgecrest to Trona to the Escape Route to Goler Wash to Mengle Pass to Furnace Creek and then gassed up. Then rode Echo Canyon to Beatty. This was the first time I had ridden the steps from west to east and I made it but just barely. These steps require an experienced rider or three friends to help you through.

Day Two: Beatty to Ryolite to Titus Canyon to Death Valley Road to Eureka Dunes to Steele Pass to Warm Springs where we met up with Larryboy. Then South Pass to Panamint Springs for the night.

Day Three: Panamint to Indian Ranch Road to Ballarat to Pleasant Canyon to South Park to the Escape Route to Trona and then back to Ridgecrest where we loaded up and headed home.

We (XR650R, F650GS Dakar and two KLRs) passed you on Death Valley Road just as you guys stopped at Eureka Dunes. That was shortly after we talked to larryboy at Steel Pass for about an hour.

That was an awesome weekend ride.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #555
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
how easy Mengle Pass is right now.

Yeah, I spent about half an hour moving rocks back in November so I could get the GS east to west by myself.