ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #616
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I've heard of people buying gas from a guy in Goldpoint, Countdown might know more about that. .
Don't know, only passed through riding from Beatty to Goldfield. Got arrested there once but can't attach picture on this thread.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #617
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
BTW, it's 'lizzard lee' and I wouldn't plan or depend on there being gas there.

Joel's (H8CHAINS) nOObs rALLy was this weekend and a lot of ADV'rs were out to PSR, me included, and first time visit to Warm Springs. Well worth the trip. Should definitely have brought camping gear and stayed a night or two. He keeps the main pool immaculate, very beautiful. Lots'o hippy types out there and there was a steady stream of cars coming in Thursday afternoon.

We made it to 8700' at the salt tram and there was only one patch of snow over the road/trail, and that was easy to skirt at the edge. 50mph winds made it a bit treacherous though.

Just bits of snow on Hunter but nothing left to ride thru. Some mud but easy to navigate around. Teeny bit of snow going into Hunter Cabin. All is good.

White Top MT. is also spectacular, but you have to scramble the hill to the transponders up to the end and then hike up the last mound for the DV view from Scotty's to Stovepipe Wells.
Thanks for the update and clairification about Lizzard Lee. I've never met him and usually only stop for a short break when riding through Warm Springs.

Did you ride to the Tram as a loop? If so did you ride it clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #618
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post

Did you ride to the Tram as a loop? If so did you ride it clockwise or counter clockwise? Thanks.

Our group did a round trip from Cerro Gordo. We ran into (almost literally ) a Jeep that came up from Swansea... After the near collision shock wore off, we think he mouthed "is the road really bad up ahead?" (towards Cerro Gordo) . We didn't see him stuck anywhere, so he made it out ok...

The only problem as Browneye said, was the wind.. We were having lunch in the Caretaker's cabin and it was shaking pretty good. They have completed a stabilization upgrade of the cabin. Still hard to believe it can withstand all the snow and wind thrown at it..

spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #619
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,180
Quote:
Thanks for the update and clairification about Lizzard Lee. I've never met him and usually only stop for a short break when riding through Warm Springs.

We were base-camped at PSR, so the first leg was thru Darwin and then further west out thru the dez, then north and up the 136 to Keeler, up the mountain to Cerro Gordo, and out to the Salt Trams. With 50-60mph winds that trail out was a little sketchy but do-able. We came back the same way and then down the east slope to Saline Valley.

I understand the road thru the salt tram site goes all the way down the mountain and is actually easier to navigate than the way we came. I have not studied a map to check it out. John Gilent led, six of us followed. There was a newer jeep rubi coming down when we were going up and our leader almost head-on'd with it. We weren't expecting a jeep on that trail, it's pretty steep, off camber, and narrow.

Well worth the trip though. The area and terrain is just spectacular. Best ride trip out in the area for me yet. Also got to visit Warm Springs for the first time and was duly impressed. Now I kick myself for not riding on up to Palm to check it out. Next trip we'll stage out there and ride Steel Pass and the northern areas.

The previous day we road up Lippincott, Race Track, Teakettle, then Happy Valley to White Top Mt. Also spectactular. Hunter is way fun, good dirt, great traction, and it was still moist so no dust. The mud added some fun as well.

Looks like it's spring in DV and it's gonna be too hot before very long at all.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:34 PM   #620
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
We were base-camped at PSR, so the first leg was thru Darwin and then further west out thru the dez, then north and up the 136 to Keeler, up the mountain to Cerro Gordo, and out to the Salt Trams. With 50-60mph winds that trail out was a little sketchy but do-able. We came back the same way and then down the east slope to Saline Valley.

I understand the road thru the salt tram site goes all the way down the mountain and is actually easier to navigate than the way we came. I have not studied a map to check it out. John Gilent led, six of us followed. There was a newer jeep rubi coming down when we were going up and our leader almost head-on'd with it. We weren't expecting a jeep on that trail, it's pretty steep, off camber, and narrow.

Well worth the trip though. The area and terrain is just spectacular. Best ride trip out in the area for me yet. Also got to visit Warm Springs for the first time and was duly impressed. Now I kick myself for not riding on up to Palm to check it out. Next trip we'll stage out there and ride Steel Pass and the northern areas.

The previous day we road up Lippincott, Race Track, Teakettle, then Happy Valley to White Top Mt. Also spectactular. Hunter is way fun, good dirt, great traction, and it was still moist so no dust. The mud added some fun as well.

Looks like it's spring in DV and it's gonna be too hot before very long at all.
I'm not sure I've been to White Top Mtn. I have ridden from Teakettle Junction to Ubehebe Crater. Is Happy Valley and White Mtn on this section of road?

Sounds like you had a great ride. Gonna get to the Tram one of these days. I want to ride from Swansea to the Tram and then to Cerro Gordo and then into Saline.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #621
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
I'm not sure I've been to White Top Mtn. I have ridden from Teakettle Junction to Ubehebe Crater. Is Happy Valley and White Mtn on this section of road?

Sounds like you had a great ride. Gonna get to the Tram one of these days. I want to ride from Swansea to the Tram and then to Cerro Gordo and then into Saline.
Happy Valley road heads south from Teakettle to Hunter. About 2 miles south of the junction is a road east to White Top Mountain. It goes about 8 miles in and terminates at the crest of the range overlooking Death Valley.

It was a fantastic weekend. The best part is that I got to do exactly what I wanted and rode with expert riders on light bikes so it was fast and fun, no headaches.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #622
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,658
Quote:

Pretty sure this "Happy Valley" is actually Hidden Valley. There is a road across from the road to Lost Burro that goes up to a nice overlook of Death Valley if I'm thinking of the right road.
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #623
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Pretty sure this "Happy Valley" is actually Hidden Valley. There is a road across from the road to Lost Burro that goes up to a nice overlook of Death Valley if I'm thinking of the right road.
Yep. I always F-up names.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 PM   #624
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Well, I'm happy to hear about Hidden Valley road and the overlook. I'll check it out on my next ride.

Thanks for the intel guys.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:04 AM   #625
slugdad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
Wondering if anyone has seen any signs of flowers yet as well. I leave in a week for the Valley with my lil' sis.
don't look for wild flowers this year, no rain
i was looking very closely for flowers on the last noob ride and i didn't see any cotyledon or new growth anywhere
perhaps in may you mite find some bloom in the higher elevations ie panamints
slugdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #626
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Hopefully all the recent snow fall and snow from last week will be melting fast as I hope to take a ride to the Salt Tram the last weekend in April. Was suppose to ride Death Valley last weekend but my group had conflicts so we have rescheduled for the end of the month.

Might work out better to go at the end of the month anyway as I'm hoping all the high elevation trails and passes will be free of snow. Who knows, we might even see some wild flowers.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #627
mtndragon
Traveler

Oddometer: 295
I spent last week in Death Valley camped atop Hunter Mountain for the storms. Not much snow to speak of, and when we rode out on Friday, everything was clear. The modicum of moisture did make the trails and roads super tacky and nice. We did not see any wildflowers, but Death Valley remains as magical as ever.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #628
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndragon View Post
I spent last week in Death Valley camped atop Hunter Mountain for the storms. Not much snow to speak of, and when we rode out on Friday, everything was clear. The modicum of moisture did make the trails and roads super tacky and nice. We did not see any wildflowers, but Death Valley remains as magical as ever.
Camping atop Hunter Mountain must have been great.

Thanks for the update.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #629
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Hopefully all the recent snow fall and snow from last week will be melting fast as I hope to take a ride to the Salt Tram the last weekend in April. Was suppose to ride Death Valley last weekend but my group had conflicts so we have rescheduled for the end of the month.

Might work out better to go at the end of the month anyway as I'm hoping all the high elevation trails and passes will be free of snow. Who knows, we might even see some wild flowers.
We were just there and conditions are perfect. Maybe getting a bit hot in the valley (forecast is 106° for the weekend ) but ideal at elevation.

Rode from Swansea to the Salt Tram (then down the backside of Cerro Gordo to Lee Flat/Saline Valley) on April 18 - saw some tiny patches of snow at around 9000 ft, but all rideable. It was spectacular.
Do NOT miss this ride - Swansea to the tram is the best part. We liked it so much, we came back to DV to do it again (a month later).
There are some rock steps about 3-4 miles in from Swansea, then a couple long (steep) climbs follow. Loose, too. All kinds of fun stuff on that route!
This jeep website has good info on Swansea grade.
We have video, but no one seems to want to see it, so they aren't posted.

Pleasant Canyon, Rogers Pass, and South Park Canyon were all perfect, too. Just a smattering of snow near Rogers Pass, but I'm sure it will be gone by the time you're there.

Just FYI - Not sure how it will be by the end of the month, but on 4/17 we talked to a guy who had just ridden Hidden Valley/Hunter Mtn and he said there was no silt!
I guess it was bad in March, but they had heavy rain around 4/12-4/13 and that must have packed it all down.

We didn't see any wildflowers in DV, and have also heard that it was too dry this winter. Maybe it was just too soon to see the effects of the rain from the 12-13th?

Have a great trip!
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #630
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
We have video, but no one seems to want to see it, so they aren't posted.
I don't think anyone said that. I thought we wanted to see you make something out of the footage you took.