ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2012, 08:21 PM   #631
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,861
Vid-e-o...VID-E-O...we want video!
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #632
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,676
Haha, browneye -
okay, okay - I got your point!

go to this post to see some video: LINKY

the clips are so short, you won't be able to see much of the trail.
we have the entire Swansea grade on video, but it might ruin it for you, actually.
Part of the fun is seeing all the terrain changes...
LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #633
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Rode from Swansea to the Salt Tram (then down the backside of Cerro Gordo to Lee Flat/Saline Valley) on April 18 - saw some tiny patches of snow at around 9000 ft, but all rideable. It was spectacular.
Do NOT miss this ride - Swansea to the tram is the best part.
There are some rock steps about 3-4 miles in from Swansea, then a couple long (steep) climbs follow. Loose, too. All kinds of fun stuff on that route!
This jeep website has good info on Swansea grade.
We have video, but no one seems to want to see it, so they aren't posted.

Have a great trip!
This is great news. I was hesitating about going this weekend but you have helped me make up my mind to go.

I would love to see any video you have from Swansea to the Salt Tram and from the Salt Tram to Cerro Gordo. That is the way I'm planning on riding.

I'd like to know more about the steps. Some are easy for me and others are a challenge. The Echo Canyon steps are a challenge for me but possible. The Goler Wash steps used to be a piece of cake to ride but have become a challenge for me. How would you rate these steps compared to the Echo Canyon or Goler Wash steps?

Is it worth it to ride this route in both directions? I plan to spend some time there and I also want to ride the trails around the Alabama Hills out of Lone Pine. I plan to stage from Lone Pine.

Thanks for the good information.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #634
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I'd like to know more about the steps. Some are easy for me and other are a challenge. The Echo Canyon steps are a challenge for me but possible. The Goler Wash steps used to be a piece of cake to ride but have become a challenge for me.

These steps?

I stayed to the inside and made it up the first time, had to turn around due to deep snow at high elevations this winter though.
My GS is geared pretty low though so it climbs well when there's traction like here. Lots of fun climbs here, as long as you like to climb steep trails. Don't stop.

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:23 AM   #635
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
These steps?

I stayed to the inside and made it up the first time, had to turn around due to deep snow at high elevations this winter though.
My GS is geared pretty low though so it climbs well when there's traction like here. Lots of fun climbs here, as long as you like to climb steep trails. Don't stop.

If those are the Swansea Steps he was talking about, I think I can handle those. I have trouble with the ones where tons of bowling ball sized rocks have been stacked up by the 4x4 crowd. Stacked, loose big rocks move when you ride over them and I need more practice.

Thanks for the pics.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #636
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Im going to DV this weekend Thu-Sun. im really happy that the temp cooled down. Maybe ill see you guys there.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #637
LittleWan
You can do it!

Oddometer: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
I would love to see any video you have from Swansea to the Salt Tram and from the Salt Tram to Cerro Gordo. That is the way I'm planning on riding.
I'd like to know more about the steps. Some are easy for me and others are a challenge. The Echo Canyon steps are a challenge for me but possible. The Goler Wash steps used to be a piece of cake to ride but have become a challenge for me. How would you rate these steps compared to the Echo Canyon or Goler Wash steps?
Hey 2on2off - sorry I haven't been back to this thread...
I sent my husband over here to reply to your post, but he thought the info from Lost Rider was enough to help you decide.
It doesn't sound like you're going to have any problems.

Unfortunately, GoPro footage takes forever to edit and process.
I think I was too slow with the video - you may have already left for DV.
But, maybe it will help someone else...
Here's a short clip of the Swansea steps (lower and upper):
try and watch it in HD to see all the rocks, etc.

LittleWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #638
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
Just an FYI, there is no fuel in Trona.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #639
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWan View Post
Hey 2on2off - sorry I haven't been back to this thread...
I sent my husband over here to reply to your post, but he thought the info from Lost Rider was enough to help you decide.
It doesn't sound like you're going to have any problems.

Unfortunately, GoPro footage takes forever to edit and process.
I think I was too slow with the video - you may have already left for DV.
But, maybe it will help someone else...
Here's a short clip of the Swansea steps (lower and upper):
try and watch it in HD to see all the rocks, etc.

Thanks for the great video. My trip got cancelled so we are looking at the next couple of weekends. Post more video when you have time to edit it. I know it takes a long time but the results are well worth it. Yours may be the first motorcycle video posted of this route.

Keep it coming. I will bring my GoPro as well but will leave my GS Adventure at home. This is a ride for my DRZ400S. Love to see video of the Cabin and Salt Tram as you ride to it. Looks like the views are great up on top.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:06 PM   #640
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Cerro Gordo Trip

A buddy and I finalized our reservations in Lone Pine today and will be riding up to the Cabin, Salt Tram and Cerro Gordo this Saturday.

We plan to ride up Swansea Grade to the Cabin and then head east on the ridge to the Salt Tram and Cerro Gordo. Then ride to the White Mountain Talc Road to the end and then back track to Cerro Gordo and down to Darwin and then into Panamint Springs for lunch.

Then back to 190 and go up Cerro Gordo Road to Cerro Gordo and ride the route the other way back to the Salt Tram and Cabin and ride down Swansea Grade and then back to Lone Pine. That will be a 200 mile day.

On Sunday we plan to ride north from Lone Pine on the east side of 395 to Santa Rosa Flat and head east on Seephole Spring Lead Canyon road and see how far that goes. On Mapsource it goes through to Saline Valley Road but I think part of that is a walking trail. Haven't heard much about this particular road/trail so we will see what it is like. Some of the trails in this area have deep sand so I'll see how it goes.

Then continue north on Mazuka Canyon Road to Papoose Flat to Harkless Flat and then to Death Valley Road west to Big Pine. That will be 90 miles.

Than back south on the west side of 395 to Independence. Cross to the east side of 395 and ride next to the Owens River back to Lone Pine, load up and head home.

Looking forward to riding some new trails I haven't been on yet.

I will bring my GoPro and get some video of Swansea Grade, and the section from the Cabin to Cerro Gordo. I will also try to shoot some video of the Papoose Flat and Harkless Flat area as well.

Don't know how long it will take to edit the video once I get home so don't hold your breath.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM   #641
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Salt Tram and Papoose Flat

Had a great ride to the Cabin, Salt Tram and Cerro Gordo last Saturday. Riding the ridge was amazing and it made me feel I was on top of the world. Kept singing in my helmet that Willie Nelson favorite, "On the ridge again.........just can't wait to get on the ridge again....... the life I love is making music with my friends........ I can't wait to get on the ridge again........going places that I've never been.........seeing things that I may never see again.......I can't wait to get on the ridge again". Finding trails on the top of a ridge is one of my favorite things to do.

We rode this loop clockwise riding up Swansea Grade and down Cerro Gordo Road. Now I have to go back and ride it the other way. Was going to do that this trip but ran out of time. We spent alot of time at the Tram. The Tram was completed in 1913 and apparently there is no other structure like it anywhere in the world. It is worth the time to see this.

Sunday we rode to Papoose Flat and explored some of the trails east of Big Pine. More ridge riding with miles and miles of trails above 8,500 ft. Got lots of video from my helmet cam of all of this so I begin the editing process this week and will be uploading the finished product to YouTube and then putting a link to it here. Don't know how long the editing will take.

Rode up Seep Hole Spring Lead Canyon east of Mazourka Canyon Road for about 1 1/2 miles. Gained 1,000 ft. elevation in that distance and then the road dead ends into the Russel L. Fleming Cabin. Great little side trip. There is a hiking trail that goes over the ridge to Saline Valley Road.

The trails south/west off highway 395 out of Big Pine were a pleasant surprise and fun to ride.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #642
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,656
I heard that Trona has fuel as of 6/1/12. I'd stop to top off, but don't rely on it.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #643
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman

Oddometer: 1,651
When we went through there in late March there were signs that Trona was a little more alive than it seemed a year ago. There was at least one gas station pumping gas, and a market was open that was closed a year ago.

But yes, don't rely on it.

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...

"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #644
Baja Ho
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Thanks for all the posting guys, may have to head out there in the Fall. The salt tram ride looks awesome.
Baja Ho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #645
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Death Valley Snow & Road Report 2012/2013

Heading out to Death Valley for a 4 day ride with two friends tomorrow for my first trip to DV for this winter season. Can't wait.

Here is where we plan to ride:

Friday: Panamint Springs Resort to Cerro Gordo and we will ride the ridge to the Salt Tram.
Saturday: PSR to South Pass, Hot Springs, Steele Pass, Eureka Dunes, Crank Shaft, Gold Point, Castle, Beatty
Sunday: Beatty to Ubehebe Crater, Race Track, Lippincott, North Pass, Papoose Flat, Lone Pine, PSR
Monday: Ballarat, Pleasant Canyon, Middle Park, South Park

I will report back on conditions next week. I'm glad we are finally getting some rain in California to settle the dust.

Larryboy started a thread in early August, 2012 on Death Valley Road Conditions with some very good information. You can check out his thread here:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=815079

2on2off screwed with this post 08-17-2013 at 09:32 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote