ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #841
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,231
Cerro Gordo Road Conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
We are coming down on the first of March. Does anyone know the condition of the roads into Cerro Gordo? We will lileky hit it from Lee flat.
Robert is the caretaker that lives in Cerro Gordo. He is the only one who lives there. You can call him for current road conditions at: 760-876-5030.

Call ahead and let him know when you plan to be there and he will give you a personal tour of the town. If you get a tour, be sure to buy a T-Shirt there to support the effort to keep the place open to riders like us.

Cerro Gordo is at about 8,000 ft so there can be snow and ice on the road especially right after a storm. This time of year it should melt quickly so conditions change depending on the weather.

Robert

Cerro Gordo
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #842
dirty adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironwood View Post
We are coming down on the first of March. Does anyone know the condition of the roads into Cerro Gordo? We will lileky hit it from Lee flat.
Even dry mountain had a good amount of snow. Good times.

As of yesterday, there were remnants of snow along South Pass.

Lee Flat to Cerro Gordo was not happening. I had fun riding in snow, but didn't make it far. It was cold.

What are the conditions next week? depends on the weather.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #843
dirty adventurer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
South Pass on Thursday

I left Lee Flats towards Cerro Gordo. As you can see, I was still near the desert floor. I could have gone further, but I never would have made it to the top.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #844
bar-low
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Campground at Mesquite Spring,Death Valley north

Riding down thru Pyramid Lake Nev. Monday 25th.. And want to ride to Scottys Castle , Death Valley for the days end.. does anyone know if the campground at Mesquite Spring open??We will be tent camping,,under stand that the castle is at 3,000 ft.?? after the last pic ???? Or should we go on to Furnace Creek Campground??

bar-low screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 04:41 PM
bar-low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #845
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar-low View Post
Riding down thru Pyramid Lake Nev. Monday 25th.. And want to ride to Scottys Castle , Death Valley for the days end.. does anyone know if the campground at Mesquite Spring open??We will be tent camping,,under stand that the castle is at 3,000 ft.?? atfer the last pic ???? Or should we go on to Furnace Creek Campground??
It's a year-round campground, fwiw... should be. Still, I would call the NPS and ask to be sure. The road leading down to the campground sometimes gets washed out. It's a nice campground if it's open. Flushing toilet restrooms, etc.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM   #846
bar-low
Adventurer

First Timer 2 D V

Thanks for info rob !! First timer, thru D.V. just wandering ??Plan on riding ALL OVER DEATH VALLY ALL WEEK !!!!
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #847
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Thanks for info rob !! First timer, thru D.V. just wandering ??Plan on riding ALL OVER DEATH VALLY ALL WEEK !!!!
What bike will you be riding? You can ride anywhere on a 650cc or smaller dual sport bike but a large adventure bike won't go everywhere without some help from other riders. A street bike is best on the pavement but everyone is different depending on ability.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #848
bar-low
Adventurer

Thumb TRANSALP XL 600v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
What bike will you be riding? You can ride anywhere on a 650cc or smaller dual sport bike but a large adventure bike won't go everywhere without some help from other riders. A street bike is best on the pavement but everyone is different depending on ability.
1989 Honda Transalp..Loaded with about 60 lbs of stuff stuffed into the Wolfman bags, 2 tubes,12 vt air comp,camping dishes,stove,tent,chair sleeping bag, food and water,clothes,etc. Just need to camp at the north part for a few then move to another area for a few... I plan on doin dual spt. TRAILS ONLY ( the ones without steps!!) Because after a week of Death Valley ridn I have a 400 mile ride home!! All ready to go, just watchin the Daytona 500 at my sons Sunday and LEAVIN MONDAY am..Just found out an hour ago ridin buddy cant make er! I AM STILL GOIN,...
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #849
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,113
Quote:
1989 Honda Transalp..Loaded with about 60 lbs of stuff stuffed into the Wolfman bags, 2 tubes,12 vt air comp,camping dishes,stove,tent,chair sleeping bag, food and water,clothes,etc. Just need to camp at the north part for a few then move to another area for a few... I plan on doin dual spt. TRAILS ONLY ( the ones without steps!!) Because after a week of Death Valley ridn I have a 400 mile ride home!! All ready to go, just watchin the Daytona 500 at my sons Sunday and LEAVIN MONDAY am..Just found out an hour ago ridin buddy cant make er! I AM STILL GOIN,...
Just be very cautious! I've done the trip by myself too, but it was also in May. Beware you may encounter snow and freezing temps. Don't go someplace unless you're sure you can get back if you have to turn around (including gas levels). Carry extra gas if you can.

If you happen to try riding from Racetrack over Hunter Mountain to South Pass, it's doable barring snow/mud, BUT, the trails are difficult to read in spots and you can get lost. I trust you have a GPS AND some good paper maps?

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:49 PM   #850
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
In addition to all the stuff you are bringing, you will need a GPS, Tom Harrison map of Death Valley (REI sells them) and a 200 mile fuel range just in case you have to turn around.

There are almost no road signs in Death Valley so the GPS will tell you where you are and then get out the map to see where you want to go.

There is no gas at Scotties Castle. Gas is in Beatty, NV to the east and Panamint Springs to the west at the north end. There is also gas at Furnace Creek, Stovepipe Wells and Shoshone.

There is little to no cell phone reception in Death Valley so let someone know your planned route each day if you have cell reception. I think you can get reception at Furnace Creek.

Have fun and be safe.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:11 PM   #851
bar-low
Adventurer

Rookie death valley rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.G View Post
Just be very cautious! I've done the trip by myself too, but it was also in May. Beware you may encounter snow and freezing temps. Don't go someplace unless you're sure you can get back if you have to turn around (including gas levels). Carry extra gas if you can.

If you happen to try riding from Racetrack over Hunter Mountain to South Pass, it's doable barring snow/mud, BUT, the trails are difficult to read in spots and you can get lost. I trust you have a GPS AND some good paper maps?

Rob
Yes I do have GPS, I plan on buying a (paper map) at Grapevine Ranger st. if available ..I have downloaded some BLM maps already but they are small and hard to see everything.Yes Gas,,65 miles per gal. 4.7 gal tank ..top it to the top !! Maybe take Hidden Valley,from teakettle jct.down to south pass instead? or are we on the same road?
Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #852
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Yes I do have GPS, I plan on buying a (paper map) at Grapevine Ranger st. if available ..I have downloaded some BLM maps already but they are small and hard to see everything.Yes Gas,,65 miles per gal. 4.7 gal tank ..top it to the top !! Maybe take Hidden Valley,from teakettle jct.down to south pass instead? or are we on the same road?
Call your local REI store and see if they have the Tom Harrison Death Valley Map before you leave. It is the best map of DV.

Hidden Valley Hunter Mtn Pass is over 7,000 ft so it might have too much snow after last weeks storm for you to get through. Check with the local DV Rangers.

From Teakettle, head to the Race Track. The rocks that move are at the south/east end of the dry lake bed and you can't see them until you walk some distance onto the lake bed. There is camping just south of the race track but it will be cold at night there.

From the Race Track head down, west, Lippincott Mine road to Saline Valley Road. Turn left, south, and head over South Pass to Panamint Springs. There is camping, gas and food there. Lippincott is rough but is much easier going down then up and from the race track, it is all down hill to Saline Valley Road.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #853
bar-low
Adventurer

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuu !!!!! this is all great info..
Old 02-23-2013, 09:37 PM   #854
prey4mojo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Was there for New Years - Video

Video of ride up Lippencott:

http://vimeo.com/60058743

Video coming back down Lippentcott:

http://vimeo.com/60135188

Spent some time in Butte Valley as well:

http://vimeo.com/59581320

Thanks for looking!
W
prey4mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #855
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,146
Windy as hell in DV right now, chloride cliffs, Titus, golar wash, mengal pass, and race track all the same as has been this year and good to go. Have seen no snow below 5500'. Well above freezing at high elevations today.

More info to come.

Bar-low,

You got range and the right attitude, the rest you'll figure out.
National Geographic maps available throughout the park where you can buy beer and are great with all the detail you need.

Base camping and exploring from at least two places will be better than staying at one place, makes for lots of pavement miles if you want to see a wide variety. So much good riding around Panamint Valley...

Have fun and go get Lost!

This was a Mobile posting using Tapatalk App

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote