ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 11:04 AM   #76
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
This is different than the final bearing failure that can happen. The hex bolt that came out should need a heat gun to remove. The PO had the same problem but I think red locktite would of kept it in. Other wise the bike was a champ, did fine on the ice. I think the GSA knew we were heading towards Lippencott at Sundown and said Eff that
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #77
liv2rydktms
Beastly Adventurer
 
liv2rydktms's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Payette ID
Oddometer: 2,239
Eh? Uh Oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
This is different than the final bearing failure that can happen. The hex bolt that came out should need a heat gun to remove. The PO had the same problem but I think red locktite would of kept it in. Other wise the bike was a champ, did fine on the ice. I think the GSA knew we were heading towards Lippencott at Sundown and said Eff that
Hope you had a good time! If you do a RR would be interested in reading.
__________________
Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal. Henry Ford
IBA#33733
"R" Death Valley trip


liv2rydktms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #78
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
This is different than the final bearing failure that can happen. The hex bolt that came out should need a heat gun to remove. The PO had the same problem but I think red locktite would of kept it in. Other wise the bike was a champ, did fine on the ice. I think the GSA knew we were heading towards Lippencott at Sundown and said Eff that
You guys know how to ride that ice and on a GSA and without bearings

You know how to not let a little ice or bike failure spoil you fun.......The GSA doesn't need no sticking bearings........it's a tank........
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........

2on2off screwed with this post 01-13-2010 at 06:40 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #79
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
Short RR posted...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post11833742
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #80
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
Vern:

Nice ride report. Looks like the mighty GSA held together even without bearings. Looked like a fun ride.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 PM   #81
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,228
There is a big storm coming through California that is dropping lots of rain and snow in the mountains. It should be heading for Death Valley.

The forecast is for rain all week and snow in the mountains. Anyone planning on driving south pass in Saline Valley needs to watch the weather very closely for the next week.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #82
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
Update 01FEB10

Managed to get away from the desk yesterday...

Here's was I could see.

Lot's of snow on the South Pass of Saline Valley RD. Hunter MTN looked buried. Racetrack is about 1/3 lake with some bits of snow on the rock at the North end, however, there were two trucks out there driving around so the road looks workable.

Lippencott appeared to have some big ruts, but it's hard to tell from altitude.

Cerro Gordo, covered in snow and the North Pass will be buried for some time (I'm sure River Rat will make it in though )

Good amount of snow on the El Paso's in the South. Manson cabin is snow free, but it was sad to see it without a roof for the first time since the fire.

Middle of 190 heading through Panamint valley is surrounded by a lake.

Indian Springs RD heading up from Ballarat looked in good shape.

Apparently ol' Phil the Ground Hog declared 6 more weeks of winter....

Hope it melts in time for the March noob ride
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM   #83
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
Managed to get away from the desk yesterday...

Here's was I could see.

Lot's of snow on the South Pass of Saline Valley RD. Hunter MTN looked buried. Racetrack is about 1/3 lake with some bits of snow on the rock at the North end, however, there were two trucks out there driving around so the road looks workable.

Lippencott appeared to have some big ruts, but it's hard to tell from altitude.

Cerro Gordo, covered in snow and the North Pass will be buried for some time (I'm sure River Rat will make it in though )

Good amount of snow on the El Paso's in the South. Manson cabin is snow free, but it was sad to see it without a roof for the first time since the fire.

Middle of 190 heading through Panamint valley is surrounded by a lake.

Indian Springs RD heading up from Ballarat looked in good shape.

Apparently ol' Phil the Ground Hog declared 6 more weeks of winter....

Hope it melts in time for the March noob ride
Should we go check it out in a couple weeks?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #84
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Vern
Managed to get away from the desk yesterday...

Here's was I could see.

Lot's of snow on the South Pass of Saline Valley RD. Hunter MTN looked buried. Racetrack is about 1/3 lake with some bits of snow on the rock at the North end, however, there were two trucks out there driving around so the road looks workable.

Lippencott appeared to have some big ruts, but it's hard to tell from altitude.

Cerro Gordo, covered in snow and the North Pass will be buried for some time (I'm sure River Rat will make it in though )

Good amount of snow on the El Paso's in the South. Manson cabin is snow free, but it was sad to see it without a roof for the first time since the fire.

Middle of 190 heading through Panamint valley is surrounded by a lake.

Indian Springs RD heading up from Ballarat looked in good shape.

Apparently ol' Phil the Ground Hog declared 6 more weeks of winter....

Hope it melts in time for the March noob ride
Thanks for the report. I hope to ride DV weekend of Feb 12th but haven't finalized anything yet.

Any idea how the road looks between Crankshaft Junction and Eureka Dunes and Steele Pass? Thats where I want to ride. I'm hoping to ride a loop starting at Ubehebe Crater to Lippencott to Warm Springs to Steel Pass to Eureka Dunes to Crankshaft Junction and then back to Eureka Dunes.

I'll have to haul the bikes to the crater to make that loop without running out of gas. I might alter the route if my buddy decides to come with his R1200GS. He wouldn't be able to ride Steele Pass on the big GS based on the reports I have gotten of the big adventure bikes attempting Steele Pass.

I think there will be lots of riders, both on and off road riders, heading to DV this month so the "snow report" is very important to a lot of us.

Thanks again Vern and keep the reports coming if you can.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:24 PM   #85
luv2race
Confused
 
luv2race's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: OC
Oddometer: 2,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
Thanks for the report. I hope to ride DV weekend of Feb 12th but haven't finalized anything yet.

Any idea how the road looks between Crankshaft Junction and Eureka Dunes and Steele Pass? Thats where I want to ride. I'm hoping to ride a loop starting at Ubehebe Crater to Lippencott to Warm Springs to Steel Pass to Eureka Dunes to Crankshaft Junction and then back to Eureka Dunes.

I'll have to haul the bikes to the crater to make that loop without running out of gas. I might alter the route if my buddy decides to come with his R1200GS. He wouldn't be able to ride Steele Pass on the big GS based on the reports I have gotten of the big adventure bikes attempting Steele Pass.

I think there will be lots of riders, both on and off road riders, heading to DV this month so the "snow report" is very important to a lot of us.

Thanks again Vern and keep the reports coming if you can.
On Sunday, we rode from Furnace Creek to Ubehebe Crater, Racetrack, Lippencott, Saline Valley, Warm Springs, Steel Pass, Eureka Dunes, Crankshaft Jct, and back to Furnace Creek. 250 mile loop and the roads were in excellent shape. Even Lippencot was perfect. The recent rains packed it down and the open roads were killer and dust free. Some were even recently plowed smooth. Take the GS, you won't have any problems if you're capable. RAZR should be posting the RR soon. He took a ton of pics that you will drool over when you see them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546922
__________________
John
http://luv2race.smugmug.com/
Save $5 on Smugmug (coupon Utck1qAu418cs)
luv2race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #86
Fubars
What would Scoobydo?
 
Fubars's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Ventuna, California
Oddometer: 1,710
I'm hoping Hunter Mt. will be passable the first weekend of March.
Fubars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #87
RiverRat
Endless Chores
 
RiverRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Shackled, in a trailer, down by the river, AZ
Oddometer: 3,836
Haha. I spent 1/2 of friday trying to unstuck the truck on south pass. Damn 3' snow drifts.

Great air show though. Those dudes fly just over the pass.
__________________
QE infinity not looking so good ....

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #88
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Here's lot's of snow all over... and winter is still on
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM   #89
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
On Sunday, we rode from Furnace Creek to Ubehebe Crater, Racetrack, Lippencott, Saline Valley, Warm Springs, Steel Pass, Eureka Dunes, Crankshaft Jct, and back to Furnace Creek. 250 mile loop and the roads were in excellent shape. Even Lippencot was perfect. The recent rains packed it down and the open roads were killer and dust free. Some were even recently plowed smooth. Take the GS, you won't have any problems if you're capable. RAZR should be posting the RR soon. He took a ton of pics that you will drool over when you see them.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=546922
Thanks for the update. Were any big adventure bikes in your group and if so, did they ride over Steele Pass?

What is the location of that technical single track in the ride report?

Did you have to stash some gas to complete that 250 mile loop?

Looks like you had a great weekend.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #90
RiverRat
Endless Chores
 
RiverRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Shackled, in a trailer, down by the river, AZ
Oddometer: 3,836
Last friday.

Hunter mtn up to the right.

__________________
QE infinity not looking so good ....

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014