ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #916
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,872
It is going to be a balmy 104 in Trona this weekend!

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #917
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Just heard that the road from Warm Springs to Steel Pass is "impassable", I've heard that before and promptly rode it on my 1150 GS alone without assistance.

I also heard from some folks camping on Lee Flat that they got hammered with torrential rains and when it left them they could see it settle right over Grapevine Canyon and it stayed there all night...speculation is that it oughta be washed out, they didn't go look.

That's as of 9/3/13.
This just gets more and more interesting.

I rode from Warm Springs to Steele Pass on my KTM 500EXC last year in the fall after it had been washed out and struggled with all the rocks and washouts. I could not see the road or trail at all for the first 10 miles heading north and the only reason I didn't get lost was because I have ridden this route before and knew where to go and even then it was a struggle for me on that extremely light bike.

Some will love the challenge and others will have a different experience.

I love hearing first hand reports from those who have actually ridden in these areas on all sorts of dual sports and adventure bikes. Larryboy inspires me to ride more and further.

2on2off screwed with this post 09-07-2013 at 03:15 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #918
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Newbs rally attendees might want to ride from home this year, motorhome ain't gonna cut it.

Where is this?
Old 09-07-2013, 06:13 PM   #919
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Newbs rally attendees might want to ride from home this year, motorhome ain't gonna cut it.

Panamint Valley Rd.??????

Have to come in the southern route through Baker. Longer, but well traveled and pretty well maintained

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #920
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
It is going to be a balmy 104 in Trona this weekend!
It was a balmy 104 in the San Fernando Valley this week. 98 in Simi. Hope it was cooler down your way.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:41 PM   #921
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual

Oddometer: 39
Wow, sad. I've been through that area many times never knew of this story.
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:03 PM   #922
jussumguy
psuedo intelectual

Oddometer: 39
I just finished reading the lost Germans story, I didn't notice so many other posts! Ya we should get the Jim's together and do a big twin recon ride!
jussumguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:20 PM   #923
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
WOW thanks that was a read !
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 PM   #924
chrish4ku
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Looks like I gotta click back the compression on the suspension a few notches before riding that "pavement"

Maybe in November.
2011 KTM 990 Adventure / KTM 500 EXC
Chris' Sat Tracker
chrish4ku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:36 AM   #925
WINDBREAKER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
I've been following the DV drama here: http://forum.salinepreservation.org/

SilverBob is due back this week with a much anticipated 4X4 recon report from the area around the springs.

Interesting...
WINDBREAKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #926
Matt fe2o3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt. Ron View Post
Very good read. Thanks for the link. Sad, however very interesting.

Funny, I like many others rode within a few miles of the area this year.. Never had a clue.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #927
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,712
Trona/wild rose rd
Old 09-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #928
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,872
Copied from the DV FB page....

Badwater Road ...................................................CLOSED from Badwater to south entrance. Open to Badwater from Hwy 190.
Big Pine/Death Valley Road................................CLOSED by Inyo County... due to flood damage.
Emigrant Canyon Road.......................................CLOSED due to flood damage – work is in progress to clear debris.
Greenwater Valley Road.....................................CLOSED by Inyo County due to flood damage.
Harry Wade Road ...............................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
Keane Wonder Road...........................................CLOSED; road and mining area closed to entry due to mine safety hazards.
Mosaic Canyon Road..........................................Rough; high-clearance recommended.
Panamint Valley Road.........................................CLOSED by Inyo County due to flood damage.
Saline Valley (North)...........................................Signed CLOSED by Inyo County; IMPASSABLE due to washouts.
Saline Valley (South)...........................................Signed CLOSED by Inyo County.
Saline Valley Warm Springs Road.......................Washed out from County Road to Warm Springs.
Scotty’s Castle Road………………………………...Slippery mud between mile markers 15-17. Please use caution.
Steel Pass Road .................................................IMPASSABLE from Warm Springs to Steel Pass.
Titus Canyon Road .............................................Rough; high-clearance recommended.
West Side Road..................................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
Wildrose Road ....................................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
WARNING on all backcountry roads……………...possible flood damage and inaccessibility. Please use caution.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #929
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
Copied from the DV FB page....

Badwater Road ...................................................CLOSED from Badwater to south entrance. Open to Badwater from Hwy 190.
Big Pine/Death Valley Road................................CLOSED by Inyo County... due to flood damage.
Emigrant Canyon Road.......................................CLOSED due to flood damage – work is in progress to clear debris.
Greenwater Valley Road.....................................CLOSED by Inyo County due to flood damage.
Harry Wade Road ...............................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
Keane Wonder Road...........................................CLOSED; road and mining area closed to entry due to mine safety hazards.
Mosaic Canyon Road..........................................Rough; high-clearance recommended.
Panamint Valley Road.........................................CLOSED by Inyo County due to flood damage.
Saline Valley (North)...........................................Signed CLOSED by Inyo County; IMPASSABLE due to washouts.
Saline Valley (South)...........................................Signed CLOSED by Inyo County.
Saline Valley Warm Springs Road.......................Washed out from County Road to Warm Springs.
Scotty’s Castle Road………………………………...Slippery mud between mile markers 15-17. Please use caution.
Steel Pass Road .................................................IMPASSABLE from Warm Springs to Steel Pass.
Titus Canyon Road .............................................Rough; high-clearance recommended.
West Side Road..................................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
Wildrose Road ....................................................CLOSED due to flood damage.
WARNING on all backcountry roads……………...possible flood damage and inaccessibility. Please use caution.
That doesn't leave a lot open. I'm surprised Racetrack / Hunter Mtn. isn't on that list. I hope they get their stuff together before March, if not sooner.

Sounds like the only access from So Cal is via Olancha and Hwy. 190

Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #930
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
That all just sounds like a lot of good riding to me. Keeps the traffic down.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote