ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #931
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
That doesn't leave a lot open. I'm surprised Racetrack / Hunter Mtn. isn't on that list. I hope they get their stuff together before March, if not sooner.

Sounds like the only access from So Cal is via Olancha and Hwy. 190
march?????
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:16 PM   #932
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
march?????
DV Noobs rally

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #933
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,513
Quote:
DV Noobs rally
oh yeah. I forgot some people only ride DV once a year with hundreds of other motorcyclists.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 AM   #934
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
oh yeah. I forgot some people only ride DV once a year with hundreds of other motorcyclists.
I go two weeks before the NbR. Brilliant times and mty. Cold as a witches tit, but mty.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #935
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt fe2o3 View Post
I go two weeks before the NbR. Brilliant times and mty. Cold as a witches tit, but mty.
What is "mty"?

Death Valley is $450 in gasoline so yeah, once a year though I stay for a week. I missed your Mammoth trip this year but that's another place I try to get to once a year. Got to keep Exxon / Mobil profitable .....

I'm a pussified old fart. I like sleeping in my RV

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #936
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
Has anybody has ridden South Pass yet?
Old 09-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #937
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,553
So I have poured over the maps, looked on the DV websites etc etc.

What I cant seem to determine is whats really open.

In particular I am trying to figure out if the Saline to Hunter Mountain to Race track via hidden valley loop is open. Pretty much plan to come out via pavement but just cant seem to put the pieces together once you get past the South Pass closure but that is after the Hunter Mountain turn off.

Anyone have more specific details on this route?

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #938
DSM8

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
It's all open, it's all closed. Same thing as always, road "closures" are there to protect the stupid in rental cars. Be smart, don't ride down something you can't ride back up, don't trust that a road is the same as always, don't use your SPOT...it makes us all look like fools.

Just my .02
I have a 4x4 trip planned in DV over thanksgiving. What I am trying to determine is just exactly where I will be able to go, the favorite loop is Hunter to tea kettle coming back via scotties and pavement.

That is why I am asking bout that specific section of the loop.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:48 PM   #939
johnpitts01
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Next weekend

I'd appreciate any good intel as well.

I was planning a ride through DV on rented BMW GS's from Las Vegas BMW with a couple guys from Holland. We were planning on doing some easy off road.

If conditions are that bad in DV we will head northeast to Bryce instead.
johnpitts01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #940
Off Limits
Banned

Oddometer: 3,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
So I have poured over the maps, looked on the DV websites etc etc.

What I cant seem to determine is whats really open.

In particular I am trying to figure out if the Saline to Hunter Mountain to Race track via hidden valley loop is open. Pretty much plan to come out via pavement but just cant seem to put the pieces together once you get past the South Pass closure but that is after the Hunter Mountain turn off.

Anyone have more specific details on this route?

Saline valley road has been posted closed from hwy 190 since at least 2010.
Off Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #941
ZEmann
want to be riding

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
What is "mty"?

made Me Google that LOL going with #1

Quote:
AcronymDefinition
MTYEmpty (band)
MTYMonterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico - Escobedo (Airport Code)
MTYmillion tons/year
MTYMake Tailgating Yours (University of North Texas)
MTYMaize Telomeric YAC (Yeast Artificial Chromosome) transformant
ZEmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #942
DSM8

Let me be more specific in my ask.
I drove the route in March of this year.

South Pass was a mess below where the turn off to Hunter Mountain is. Saline Valley etc up to that point was rough but totally doable in the 4x4.

I just want to know if this is going to be feasible this year come November. Just cant seem to get more specific details on what is and is not truely impassible (except that pic of the canyon that crosses south pass at the creek )
Old 09-12-2013, 03:36 PM   #943
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Saline Valley Road and South Pass

Until we get some actual ride reports and intel here is some information about Saline Valley Road and South Pass heading north from highway 190 from last year and I expect, as of today, things will be worse this year. This will be exciting and fun for those familiar with Saline Valley who come prepared.

In past years, there is a section of Saline Valley Rd, between 190 and the turnoff to Hunter Mtn rd on South Pass that has been washed out or may have sand or rocks on the road. I saw a VStrom struggle in this section one year.

Last fall, there was another section on Saline Valley Rd between the turn off to Hunter Mtn Rd and the valley floor that had a deep and wide washout. Someone filled in this washout with big rocks allowing me to be able to ride through.

Just past this section on Saline Valley Rd heading north, there were some deep ruts with lots of rocks that made for difficult riding but we managed on our light weight dual sports. Larryboy made it through this section on his BMW GS in the dark which is something I would not have been able to do had I been on my R1200GSA.

Last Fall North Pass had at least three washouts from the turnoff to the springs to Death Valley Road that had been filled in with rocks. I believe this is the section with the gigantic washout this year. There is a miner at the bottom of this road that needs access to north pass so I would expect north pass to be in better shape than south pass because Inyo County has kept it open where as they have not done any work on south pass in at least the past three years.

It is just beginning to cool down and will be in the mid to high 90's this weekend in Big Pine and Lone Pine so it won't be long before some of us start venturing out to check out the road conditions.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:45 PM   #944
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Ride Central Nevada as plan B

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpitts01 View Post
I'd appreciate any good intel as well.

I was planning a ride through DV on rented BMW GS's from Las Vegas BMW with a couple guys from Holland. We were planning on doing some easy off road.

If conditions are that bad in DV we will head northeast to Bryce instead.
Bryce is always a good destination but if you have not explored Central Nevada yet, consider that as a good plan "B". Here is a link to a thread I started on Nevada: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871808

The Toiyabe National Forest north of Tonopah has some great dirt riding even on the big bikes. You can zig zag up and down between highway 6 and highway 50 all over that area.

One big difference between the Death Valley dirt roads and the Nevada dirt roads that are maintained by the county road crews is that when there is a flash flood or washouts, the Nevada road crews get right on it and keep the dirt roads in outstanding condition.

Those who maintain the back country roads and even paved roads in the Death Valley area are very slow to get out there and get them back into shape. It seems that Inyo County and the Death Valley Park Service can't come to an agreement on many issues causing major delays in getting things back in shape and as we have seen with South Pass, some roads seem to have been forgotten completely.

I started riding in Nevada last year because of all the road problems in Death Valley and was very pleased with the conditions of the roads and the adventures I had.

All that being said, there is still no place like Death Valley.

2on2off screwed with this post 09-12-2013 at 04:13 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 12:48 AM   #945
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEmann View Post
made Me Google that LOL going with #1
yes mty = empty

I was astounded at the road conditions in the Valley, particularly the main road out to Scotty's. License melting type roads.

I wanted to get to Teakettle and Racetrack, however since solo and on older Battlewings I only did the Sunrise/Titus thing. Good practice on the loaded up Caponord.

Pretty much the whole place to myself outside the valley proper, which is a little yuppie with that hotel and all....

Irrespective it is a stunning place and next time Dante's in the AM, riding that road is a blast but into the sun is no fun.
Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote