ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #946
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Bring it on!

I can't wait to see the footage Claudio is going to get of you guys. Will the support vehicles be following, or only meeting you at the borders? Will you be releasing a DVD set? Or how about a pay-per-view satellite streaming setup this time?

Couch lounging dipping-sauce-stained-Advrider-tee-shirt-wearing, beer drinking 'riders' await.....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #947
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,123
The Gobernment says all roads closed and impassible so it's best and much safer to just stay home this season. This time they aint' kidding.

Seriously though, we only rode a small amount of roads so here's my take on what I saw on 9/14-9/15/2013.
Hunter Mountain, Hidden Valley, Racktrack and Lippincott also basically the same. HM, HV and RT all pretty smooth, Lippencott pretty loose and rocky on a few sections. Passed a Prius that was coming back from the Race Track, nothing like a Prius to deflate your Adventure ego when out on dirt bikes.
Coming from 190 on Saline Valley Rd, South Pass is basically the same as last spring, no real new flood damage just a little rockier from truck traffic in the areas that got washed out last winter, the rest is a little rougher with no new flood damage until you get closer to Salt Lake, there's where you start to see washouts and dried up mudflows, the normal sandy sections were nice and firm but once it gets more truck traffic it could have some potential silt beds from all the mud. The damage increases the closer to hot springs with some small but square edge washouts.
Then there's a couple of big washout near the mine going up to North Pass, looks like at least one truck has gone through judging from tracks, but not too many, it is passable by going around the deep washouts on a bike if you like riding through large boulder sized rock gardens. North of the major damage on Waucoba Saline Rd. there more rock garden sections and quite a few smaller but also square edge washouts. All just fine to get through on a bike but something to lookout for.

We didn't explore the road with the washout heading towards Eureka Dunes that the signs were for, or the signed washout on Trona Wildrose/ Panamint Valley Rd, supposedly folks are getting around via Nadeau Rd.

Should be a great season to ride DV with some new challenges and changed landscapes.
Thanks Jim for the short but good ride!

Lippencott

Super secret two track

Saline near hot springs

Saline Rd, north of turnoff to hot springs

Waypoints of major washouts on Saline.

I'm posting in this thread since it already has a lot of great info about visiting DV, yes the roads do change but lots of the info stays the same, personally I think having a single DV roads thread that just stays the same instead of a new one each year will make for a better resource, easy to visit last page for up to date conditions.
Folks just coming into The West forums who are coming to visit DV can go back and see all the photos, links and comments while planning their DV Adventure, being able to compare one year to the next seems good to me. Many people put lots time and effort into sharing their experiences or links related to riding in DV, much of which doesn't change, why let it just get brushed aside each year to start fresh?...
Maybe the OP can request this thread and previous Larryboy's DV road threads get combined and renamed without the year.

Official Death Valley Road and Riding Conditions Thread.

Or something like that.

Just a thought.

-Finn

LostRider.com

Lost Rider screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 11:45 AM
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #948
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
Wow, great pix, Finn! Thanks for posting.

What's the deal with all the teakettles being taken down? Any idea who is doing that? There used to be dozens up there a couple years ago.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #949
Lost Rider
Roadie

Thanks Rob!

The park rangers clear out the teakettles since it's "officially" considered littering, they did it twice last season. A real shame, I was told they just throw them away, the single copper one hanging was inscribed from visitors from Latvia.
I wish they would at least give them to someone, like PSR or Rocky in Ballarat, outside the park, to keep and display.

LostRider.com
Old 09-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #950
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
Thanks Rob!

The park rangers clear out the teakettles since it's "officially" considered littering, they did it twice last season. A real shame, I was told they just throw them away, the single copper one hanging was inscribed from visitors from Latvia.
I wish they would at least give them to someone, like PSR or Rocky in Ballarat, outside the park, to keep and display.
We really need to get them to start doing that, then, because the name of the place IS Teakettle Junction, and was named so BECAUSE of the teakettles. F'ing idiots.

I came up with a new slogan... we need to adapt it to the Park Service... but it's, "The US Forest Disservice -- Taking the fun out of public lands since 1964!"

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #951
M1Jeep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Great job Finn and Jim. Thanks for the update.
My YouTube
Save $5 when you sign-up with SmugMug: COUPON
M1Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #952
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
https://www.facebook.com/TeakettleJunction/info
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #953
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
New Thread Title Ideas

Thanks for the helpful info and comments. I especially like the idea of merging the past Death Valley Threads into one thread.

2on2off screwed with this post 09-16-2013 at 09:42 PM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #954
Lost Rider
Roadie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Thanks for the helpful info and comments. I especially like the idea of merging the past Death Valley Threads into one thread. I'll ask if that can be done.

I thought I changed the name in the title but only changed the name of the post. I'm working on it.

Didn't change any title, you need a mod to do that.

I vote to let this thread die, merge Death Valley Snow & Road Report 2012/2013 and Should be a good winter in Death Valley, put in the first post for folks to post up or ask about current conditions, name it Death Valley Riding Conditions and call it a day.

Start a DV ride report, trip planning, and DV general discussion thread if that's something you think will be useful, leave Conditions thread alone and nurture it to be a valuable resource for people wanting to know riding conditions in DV for years to come.

My 2’.

LostRider.com
Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 PM   #955
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
New Thread Title " Death Valley Riding Conditions"

Done.

This thread now has a new title, "Death Valley Riding Conditions".

I did not want to delete other riders posts and try to start something new, so all of the past Death Valley Road Conditions threads, dating back to December 2009, have now been merged into this one thread.

I appreciate all the riders who have provided great pictures, helpful hints and shared their experiences riding all over Death Valley the past 3.5 years. I don't think I could have found this type of quality information and pictures anywhere else because of the many riders who have contributed to this thread. You all have made all the difference. Thank you.

The information shared has made my many trips to Death Valley much more enjoyable.

Keep that good information coming because it makes a big difference.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:36 PM   #956
Lost Rider
Roadie

Sweet!

Good job getting it all sorted, now with a 65 page thread anytime anyone asks anything about DV we can say, you should try to search before you ask a stoopid question ya know, yes the D606 is a great tire choice but a TKC80 will work and yes you should carry an air pump and some water, no you shouldn't ride your rented GS up Mengal Pass, or go to the whore house in Beatty late at night, but having a 200 mile range will get you most places.

Totally kidding, ask away, bout time ADV had a single DV thread to check out past and present Adventure Riding Conditions.
Bravo Jim!

LostRider.com
Old 09-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #957
Lonestar2112
scatology expert

Oddometer: 6,518
Now dare we ask that it be a stickie. I can't believe the number of European riders that want to ride DV. It would be very helpful for them instead of having to search through the pages of the web.

My 2c.

Wypierdalaj ty chuju jebany
F*CK CANCER
Lonestar2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 AM   #958
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,429
NICE!!

Does anyone have the search syntax for google that identifies a thread?

I use this for the site, but someone also came up with a way to actually drill down to thread level.

For sitewide, enter in google search box:
site:advrider.com searchterms

EDIT: I also went back and deleted my thread suggestion posts so as to keep continuity of the new thread merge.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #959
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,694
Thumbs down

Well, that sucks...now we'll get questions from page two about things that don't matter anymore. Another great idea ruined again. Conditions change enough that a new yearly thread is very much needed, this isn't a thread about how the Darth Peach rode to the store...it's keeping people safe and alive with current conditions.

I'm done.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:50 AM   #960
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Well, that sucks...now we'll get questions from page two about things that don't matter anymore. Another great idea ruined again. Conditions change enough that a new yearly thread is very much needed, this isn't a thread about how the Darth Peach rode to the store...it's keeping people safe and alive with current conditions.

I'm done.

Well in the big scheme of things, I don't think it's that much of a big deal or inconvenience. And no matter how idiot proof you make something, they always come up with a better idiot.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote