ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #961
FlyGuy
MachineHead

Oddometer: 154
death valley 8/18

Sorry I did not know this thread existed, or I would have been more keen to the road conditions and reported sooner I rode DV 8/18-21
I did ride several places where there were road closures and many roads I have traveled many times in the past (cerro gordo and down the back side to hunter mountain to hidden vally to saline out to the saline south then to mahogany flats
via panament springs) there are many wash outs and stream beds where there were once roads.
My first impression was that the roads were in the worst condition I have ever experienced., initially I was somewhat angered as I have ridden here for nearly 30 years, It may be part of the sequester thing I don't know?
But then I thought of it as a great thing. I hope the repairs are slow or non existent in more remote areas as this is what a lot of us like and its up to us to make the best of it.
I bet spring will be one of the best in years for those willing to be challenged?

I was riding a XR650R loaded with approximately 50 LB of supplies and was able to go everywhere I wanted.But glad I was not on anything heavier.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #962
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,281
What if...

What if the guvmint shuts down this week? Whats still open? Is RT190 part of the Park? Do you get turned away, I was going to camp at Panamint valley on wed and thursday.

Any info?

The Blog from our adventure ride
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 08:57 AM   #963
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post
What if the guvmint shuts down this week? Whats still open? Is RT190 part of the Park? Do you get turned away, I was going to camp at Panamint valley on wed and thursday.

Any info?
Panamint Springs resort is privately owned, no shut down. Much of Panamint Valley, the western side of the road, is not part of the national park. The eastern side of the road by Ballarat and south is also not part of the park till you get to pretty high elevation. It's either BLM or privately owned.

Camp to your hearts content

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #964
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Dalone View Post

Any info?
I think that if a shutdown affects the park, it could mean closed visitor centers, Scotty's castle, and the like. Some of those things actually bring in money, so they may stay open anyway. It can only slow down road repairs, although many of the roads are maintained by Inyo county.

Panamint Springs is privately owned and won't be affected. The big campgrounds and resorts at Stovepipe and Furnace creek are run by private contractors and probably won't be affected.

Bring toilet paper for the outhouses in the valley. They run out even when the park can afford it.
Old 10-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #965
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 905
I just looked at the park website today and it says Death Valley is closed.

I found this FAQ after being redirected:
http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/NPS-FAQ.pdf

update: I found this for the BLM:
http://www.doi.gov/shutdown/fy2014/upload/BLM-FAQ.pdf

RandyM screwed with this post 10-02-2013 at 11:01 AM
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #966
EdGear
Edventurer

Oddometer: 527
Since the July 29th monsoons Saline Valley North and South and Panamint Valley roads are "closed". What does this mean for dual sport/ adventure riding?

Are there physical barricades across the road? If so where?

From Panamint Springs campground is there anywhere you can ride? Darwin? Cerro Gordo?

Anyone been up Pleasant Canyon or South Park Canyon or over South Pass or up Lippincott?
EdGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #967
sopascat
aka "DevilCat"

Oddometer: 3,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGear View Post
Since the July 29th monsoons Saline Valley North and South and Panamint Valley roads are "closed". What does this mean for dual sport/ adventure riding?

Are there physical barricades across the road? If so where?

From Panamint Springs campground is there anywhere you can ride? Darwin? Cerro Gordo?

Anyone been up Pleasant Canyon or South Park Canyon or over South Pass or up Lippincott?
Post 947 this thread, couple guys were over Lippencott and I forget what else 3 weeks ago
Old 10-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #968
YellowjacketD37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Goler Wash

My dad wants to ride Goler Wash from west to east this weekend. Anyone know the conditions now? (I've ridden it many times on District 37 dual sport rides.) We'll start from Ballarat.

What about Pleasant Canyon? Too hard for a 78 year old former expert desert racer who can't reach the ground on his bike? I'll be with him and I'm a novice rider, but a very experienced dual sporter/racer.

Also, is Surprise Canyon open or was it closed years ago? He has memories of riding all this stuff from 40 years ago, including going up to Panamint City.

Thanks.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #969
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,618
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowjacketD37 View Post
My dad wants to ride Goler Wash from west to east this weekend. Anyone know the conditions now? (I've ridden it many times on District 37 dual sport rides.) We'll start from Ballarat.

What about Pleasant Canyon? Too hard for a 78 year old former expert desert racer who can't reach the ground on his bike? I'll be with him and I'm a novice rider, but a very experienced dual sporter/racer.

Also, is Surprise Canyon open or was it closed years ago? He has memories of riding all this stuff from 40 years ago, including going up to Panamint City.

Thanks.
read a few post above..

Quote:
Death Valley is closed.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #970
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,036
but the through highways (190, 178, etc) are apparently open. are they collecting entrance fees for driving through like they normally do?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #971
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,247
Goler Wash?

Quote:

Thanks.
You might be the first to report on Goler Wash this season. I don't know if anyone has actually ridden it yet or Mengel Pass.

Heading further east, Westside dirt road is supposed to be closed and so is the paved road south of Badwater. Death Valley Park is closed and I have not heard if they have fixed any of the washouts on the back country dirt roads or the damaged paved roads.

No road to Panamint City anymore. Surprise Canyon should be OK but no reports yet. South Park has some difficult rock sections but it is much easier to ride down it than up.

Be sure to report what you find when you get back.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 PM   #972
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
but the through highways (190, 178, etc) are apparently open. are they collecting entrance fees for driving through like they normally do?
I believe they have been collecting entrance fees at the visitor center at Furnace Creek which should now be closed.
Old 10-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #973
scramjet
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:

Thanks.
This past Saturday (9-28-13), my son (with me as passenger) drove a 1999 Ford Ranger 4X4 thru Goler Wash to Striped Butte Valley to explore and spend the day. The Ranger has moderate lift (2 inches) and a limited slip (no locker) in the rear so not a real hardcore 4X4. We did air down the tires to 18psi before hitting the canyon. I had to get out and spot him going up the first (biggest W to E) waterfall, this was the toughest place until Geologist Cabin going W to E. Also had to spot him up Mengel Pass a few other places, large boulders (2 foot dia) have washed onto road and need to make sure the tires are placed on the boulders. Going E to W it is only challenging returning up Mengel Pass.

The difficulty would not have been worth talking about had we been on our KTM 450EXC or YZ250 or even a larger bike. Saw no one after Ballarat, really nice day, mid-80's and sunny.
scramjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:43 AM   #974
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Any pictures?
Old 10-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #975
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,343
gubment shutdown = camping stealthfest
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much