ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #991
Soul-Surfer
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Gas available at furnace creek still?

I'm heading out of Phoenix tomorrow morning and am trying to see if anyone knows if there is gas available at furnace creek at the chevron? Ive been trying to call but am getting no answer. Help is much appreciated.
Soul-Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #992
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-Surfer View Post
I'm heading out of Phoenix tomorrow morning and am trying to see if anyone knows if there is gas available at furnace creek at the chevron? Ive been trying to call but am getting no answer. Help is much appreciated.
pretty sure its all closed down.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #993
kiwi_outdoors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
same in Yosemite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
that is correct. only the paved through highways are open, and no stopping except for emergencies. the park is closed.
Its the same in Yosemite - no stopping, no looking, no taking photos, no gas (no rangers to give speeding tickets either)
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #994
YellowjacketD37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul-Surfer View Post
Can't remember where I saw the info Friday on a website, but gas is available at Stovepipe Wells, Furnace Creek, and one other place in Death Valley.

Hope that helps. Although websites aren't always correct, this was a Death Valley or government website on which I read this information.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #995
kurtzinpa
KurtzInPA

Oddometer: 89
Same at El Mirage Dry Lake, CA

I landed a 60 day gig as photog here with BLM. Started Monday and Tuesday they shut down. Buildings are locked but access is via public roads. Quite a few quads and MC's out in the mountains and camping FOR FREE... Rangers were here during the week but didn't see them this weekend.

Fortunately there's no where to go that needs access thru here.
kurtzinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:41 PM   #996
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,228
Stovepipe was shutting the pumps off at noontime thursday.
Furnace Crick was staying open, private property, same as Panamint Springs.
Just dont stop anywhere.....

Wish I was a headlight.
Stan Dalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #997
YellowjacketD37
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Okay, here's my Goler Wash and Trona/Wildrose Rd. road and trail conditions and ride write-up from yesterday.

First of all, the wash-out(s) on Trona/Wildrose Rd. are north of the turnoff to Ballarat. Although there is a sign on the side of the road in Trona that states, Road Closed - Local Traffic Only, it's not very big and drivers seems to ignore it. We did and kept driving. The road is not washed out and goes ALL THE WAY TO THE TURNOFF TO BALLARAT.

The rock quarry by Ballarat does $65,000,000 of gold business a year, and we met the truck driver who daily drives diesel there from Colton. The diesel keeps the quarry running, so he has to be able to get through. The dirt road from the highway to Ballarat is perfectly graded because of the quarry, and we saw many vehicles driving up and down it.

Then there is a barricade of dirt, rocks, and road closed signs across Trona/Wildrose Road right after the turnoff to Ballarat that means business. So the washout(s) are beyond that. However, Rocky at Ballarat said there is a way to get through to Hwy 190 that involves using Indian Ranch Rd, I think he said. You'd have to drive to Ballarat and ask him how to do it. He said 2WD cars can get through using a dirt road.

We parked at Ballarat and rode to Goler. At the entrance of Goler Wash there is a pretty tough step-up for novice riders. I attempted it and fell. I could have made it on the second try on my CRF230F, I think, but my 78 year-old dad wouldn't let me. He refused to try it on his KDX220. He said there were probably other washouts ahead so what was the use? (He's negative. Rocky at Ballarat said that was the only bad part of Goler Wash.) So we turned around.

We then went up Surprise Canyon. It was a little rocky and we rode the four miles up to the Chris Wicht Camp, where a Honda CRV was parked! Apparently the occupants of the car were hiking the rest of the way, 5.1 miles, to Panamint City, as we didn't see them. Wonder how long it took them to drive that car over all those rocks?

The camp is all burned up, even the trees have been sawed up, and all that's left are the cement remains, rock walls, and anything that's steel, like the ore cart. So sad.

There was a lively-sounding creek coming down one side of the canyon, which was nice to discover. In order to prevent jeeps or bikes from attempting to drive past the gate that's placed across the road a little past the camp, even a steel barricade is placed down in the creek! I guess people will try anything to get around gates!

We then rode up Happy Canyon. This is a lot rockier. We came to a washout that probably jeeps wouldn't be able to cross so we turned around and went back. My dad had had enough after 50 miles of riding.

We did see lots of 4WD vehicles and SUVs on the dirt road that runs parallel to the mountain by Ballarat. Don't know if it's called Indian Ranch Rd. or Mingle Rd. south of Ballarat. The condition of that road is fine. Very well graded to the quarry. We also saw a Sheriff come flying through in his 4WD SUV.

If you want to make Rocky Novak at Ballarat happy, take him pizza like we did. He loves it! He has cold drinks in a cooler. Buy them from him to help support him.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM   #998
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,654
Indian Ranch Rd goes north from Ballarat paralleling the lakebed. It joins back up with Trona Wildrose Rd shortly before the turnoff to Panamint Springs. It is certainly doable in a high clearance 2WD and in a Ural without using 2WD. There were a few sandy spots that may screw with cars. I do not know if the same road going south to the mine and Goler is also named Indian Ranch Rd.

There is another way around the barricade on Trona Wildrose Rd. past the Ballarat turnoff. As you drop down into Panamint Valley from Trona look for a well graded dirt road on your left. There is a standard street sign and it is named Nadeau Rd. You can take Nadeau Rd north along the west side of Panamint valley. Eventually (30ish, maybe more miles) it veers to the right (east) and joins up with Panamint Valley Rd. This will take you to Hwy 190 east of Panamint Springs. I do not know if this gets you around all of the damage to the paved Panamint Valley Rd.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM   #999
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Back from the Airhead GS ride.

- Hwy 190 open
- we stayed at Panamint springs. Beer, Food, Gas, Camping open
- Saturday we went to Saline Valley rd. Had a Road closure sign. Turned right to Hidden Valley, on to Teakettle junction.Turned left to Racetrack down to the Lickencott mine.
Then took Lickencott canyon back down to Saline Valley rd and back to Hwy 190.
We were two guys on old Airheads, one of them a Dirt noob and me on a G 650 XCh
There where at least five other guys on Dual sports bikes.
We passed seven Trucks and on the rocky Saline Valley rd back to 190 we meet a Granny in a Subaru and a Soccer mom in an SUV!
- Today we went from Panamint Springs to Trona via Panamint springs rd.
Had road closure sign but was in good condition and rideable up to 70 mph.
Only after the fork Wildrose /Trona rd there was bad blacktop for 1/2 mile but rideable.
A dirt berm and road closed signes at the Intersection to Ballarat.
We were not the first to drive around the berm.
There were cars on all those roads.
- Elks lodge in Trona ! Sunday Breakfast 8-11am!! Full bar for breakfast !!!

The world is not going to end, go ride DV!

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #1000
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
Back from the Airhead GS ride.

- Hwy 190 open
- we stayed at Panamint springs. Beer, Food, Gas, Camping open
- Saturday we went to Saline Valley rd. Had a Road closure sign. Turned right to Hidden Valley, on to Teakettle junction.Turned left to Racetrack down to the Lickencott mine.
Then took Lickencott canyon back down to Saline Valley rd and back to Hwy 190.
We were two guys on old Airheads, one of them a Dirt noob and me on a G 650 XCh
There where at least five other guys on Dual sports bikes.
We passed seven Trucks and on the rocky Saline Valley rd back to 190 we meet a Granny in a Subaru and a Soccer mom in an SUV!
- Today we went from Panamint Springs to Trona via Panamint springs rd.
Had road closure sign but was in good condition and rideable up to 70 mph.
Only after the fork Wildrose /Trona rd there was bad blacktop for 1/2 mile but rideable.
A dirt berm and road closed signes at the Intersection to Ballarat.
We were not the first to drive around the berm.
There were cars on all those roads.
- Elks lodge in Trona ! Sunday Breakfast 8-11am!! Full bar for breakfast !!!

The world is not going to end, go ride DV!

M
"Like"
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #1001
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
There is another way around the barricade on Trona Wildrose Rd. past the Ballarat turnoff. As you drop down into Panamint Valley from Trona look for a well graded dirt road on your left. There is a standard street sign and it is named Nadeau Rd. You can take Nadeau Rd north along the west side of Panamint valley. Eventually (30ish, maybe more miles) it veers to the right (east) and joins up with Panamint Valley Rd. This will take you to Hwy 190 east of Panamint Springs. I do not know if this gets you around all of the damage to the paved Panamint Valley Rd.
It does, but I'm not sure you can get to it on the south end of it. Where are the closed barracades for PV Road? Can you still drive to Ballarat? If so then you can pickup Nadeau Road cutoff before that.

Off Nadeau road is where CAL4W has their Panamint Valley Days - was there in '05. At that time Nadeau was an easy drive with a motorhome with jeep in tow. One of the runs was up to Defense Mine which was pretty cool, but have never heard of any of the biker guys going in there. There is still TNT in boxes back inside the mine. I almost fell off a ladder in there.

We also drove to Mengel, Engineers Cabin, and Manson's place was alive and well back then.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #1002
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
It does, but I'm not sure you can get to it on the south end of it. Where are the closed barracades for PV Road? Can you still drive to Ballarat? If so then you can pickup Nadeau Road cutoff before that.

Off Nadeau road is where CAL4W has their Panamint Valley Days - was there in '05. At that time Nadeau was an easy drive with a motorhome with jeep in tow. One of the runs was up to Defense Mine which was pretty cool, but have never heard of any of the biker guys going in there. There is still TNT in boxes back inside the mine. I almost fell off a ladder in there.

We also drove to Mengel, GEOLOGISTS Cabin, and Manson's place was alive and well back then.
Fixed.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #1003
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,450
Thank you Rob. Sometimes I get confuzzled.
browneye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #1004
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,940
Quote:
They're getting in the way of my DV National Park riding.
Don't ya know, it's illegal to ride off road in the National parks anyhow?
Old 10-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #1005
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,654
Quote:

Coming from Trona, Nadeau Rd. turns off to the left long before you get to the Ballarat turnoff.

I too have been to Panamint Valley Days a few times. I may have been there in 05. Been to the defense mine too. Very interesting area.

I hope PV Rd. reopens soon.

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote