ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #1006
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,680
johngil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #1007
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
No gas in Trona

I will be taking my first ride to the Death Valley area this weekend so I'm checking on gas availability.

I just called the T-Stop in Trona to see if they will gas and the lady I talked to said they have no gas because their pumps keep turning off. She also said the Shell Station doesn't have gas either but she doesn't know why. I can't verify this because I can't find the phone number of the shell station in Trona.

Stovepipe Wells is completely closed down and no one is answering the phone.

Furnace Creek Ranch is open: 760-786-2345 The lady I talked with said the Chevron Gas station is open from 7 am to 5 pm. You can also buy gas outside of those hours with a credit card.

Panamint Springs Resort is open and has has.

The paved road to Beatty, NV from Stovepipe Wells is open according to the guy I talked to at Panamint Springs Resort.

Summary as of 10/14/13:

Panamint Springs Resort: Open and gas available at Chevron, regular and premium
Trona: Cannot be guaranteed of gas available at the T-Stop or Shell (T-Stop 760-372-4761) call ahead
Stovepipe Wells: Completely shut down and no gas available
Furnace Creek Ranch: Open and gas available at the Chevron
Paved Rd to Beatty, NV: Open

2on2off screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 09:47 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:21 PM   #1008
Square1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Trona has a Shell and a Valero gas station.
Two weeks ago both were open.
You can always fill up in Ridgecrest, that gives you enough to get to Panamint Springs.

M
Square1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #1009
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square1 View Post
Trona has a Shell and a Valero gas station.
Two weeks ago both were open.
You can always fill up in Ridgecrest, that gives you enough to get to Panamint Springs.

gas is usually cheap in Beatty too... 65 miles from panamint springs, on the other side of death valley, so it might be closer if you're over there somewhere... Rhyolite is cool, too.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #1010
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Question Clarity Requested

I have read all of the responses and there seems to be conflicting reports. So here it goes.

After passing through Trona there are three options to get to the other end and onto the 190.

Nedeau Rd, Ballarat Rd and the pavement.

Each side loop is in Yellow, with the road in Red.

Does anyone have specific first hand knowledge of being able to get to the 190 and Pananmint Springs via any of these routes. If so do you have pictures of any of the specific areas which were an issue. Can you reference them on the map below?

In the case of taking the Nadeau loop once back on pavement how does that stretch of pavement to the 190 look? Washed out or....

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #1011
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Alternate routes from Ballarat north to 190

Here are the routes I will be trying this weekend.

Day 1: Ridgecrest, dirt to the Pinnacles, Trona, Manly Pass (the escape route), Goler Wash to check out the step up, Ballarat, Indian Ranch Road to Nadeau to 190 to PSR.

Day 2: PSR, Darwin, Salt Tram, Cerro Gordo, Lone Pine

Day 3: Lone Pine, 190 east, PSR, dirt road just north of Panamint Valley paved road south, Tuber Canyon rd, Trail (Jail) Canyon Rd, Indian Ranch Road, Ballarat, Manly Pass, Trona, Ridgecrest.

I have not ridden Nadeau Rd before and hear it is a rock garden. This will also be the first time riding Tuber Canyon and Trail or Jail Canyon Rd. One of my maps calls it Jail Canyon and the other calls it Trail Canyon. It will show on my Garmin Zumo as Jail Canyon.

I have ridden Indian Ranch rd and in the past it has been a smooth, graded dirt road. This year there could be washouts on any of these roads so I will be taking it easy.

Should be able to post some pictures next week of conditions.

Here is a map of the roads I will be checking out:

2on2off screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 10:06 AM
Old 10-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #1012
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post

Day 1: Ridgecrest, dirt to the Pinnacles, Trona, Manly Pass (the escape route), Goler Wash to check out the step up, Ballarat, Indian Ranch Road to Nadeau to 190 to PSR.

Day 3: Lone Pine, 190 east, PSR, dirt road just north of Panamint Valley paved road south, Tuber Canyon rd, Trail (Jail) Canyon Rd, Indian Ranch Road, Ballarat, Manly Pass, Trona, Ridgecrest.

I have not ridden Nadeau Rd before and hear it is a rock garden. This will also be the first time riding Tuber Canyon and Trail or Jail Canyon Rd. One of my maps calls it Jail Canyon and the other calls it Trail Canyon. It will show on my Garmin Zumo as Jail Canyon.

I have ridden Indian Ranch rd and in the past it has been a smooth, graded dirt road. This year there could be washouts on any of these roads so I will be taking it easy.

Cool look forward to hear you take and please if you come across the bad stuff get a pic and reference it back to the map so we can know where it lies on the route.

Thanks!!
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #1013
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
I have read all of the responses and there seems to be conflicting reports. So here it goes.

After passing through Trona there are three options to get to the other end and onto the 190.

Nedeau Rd, Ballarat Rd and the pavement.

Each side loop is in Yellow, with the road in Red.

Does anyone have specific first hand knowledge of being able to get to the 190 and Pananmint Springs via any of these routes. If so do you have pictures of any of the specific areas which were an issue. Can you reference them on the map below?

In the case of taking the Nadeau loop once back on pavement how does that stretch of pavement to the 190 look? Washed out or....

We took Nadeau 3 years ago or so. I remember taking it all the way to the 190. Pops out right below panamint springs. It's a normal desert 2 track. It even hād some washouts back then. At the end it turned into a pretty typical sandwash.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #1014
loner
explorer

Oddometer: 314
Quote:

The middle part of Nadeau Road is a rock garden when you enter the sand wash section, after that it's pretty smooth until you get to 190.

Jail Canyon is west of the Panamint Range, Trail Canyon is on the east side. Jail Canyon was a rock garden 2 years ago when I rode it, it has only gotten worse after the storm.

I can't imagine Indian Ranch Road being any different from the dirt freeway it's always been.
Old 10-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #1015
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Suggested Alternate Route

Since I have never ridden Jail Canyon or Nadeau Road, I'm going to take the suggestion of those who have and ride this route from Trona this weekend and skip Jail Canyon:

Old 10-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #1016
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Manly Pass

For those of you who have never ridden Manly Pass N/E of Trona, here are some pictures of what you can expect. There is one steep down hill going west to east that can be a challenge on a big Adventure Bike but it is fun on a dual sport bike. There is a rock garden at the bottom for a few miles.

None of the maps show that it goes through but it does. At the bottom you can turn left to head to Ballarat or turn right and go around the dry lake, (don't let the dry lake fool you as it can be very deep mud before you have a chance to turn around), and head to Goler Wash and Wingate Road.

Here is a video of Manly Pass I shot a few years ago. One of my favorite ridge rides. The video includes the following:
Manly Pass
Ballarat
Indian Ranch Road
highway 190
South Pass
North Pass
Squaw Flat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pghyXkGOLE

2on2off screwed with this post 10-15-2013 at 06:33 PM
Old 10-15-2013, 08:17 PM   #1017
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,316
Quote:
For those of you who have never ridden Manly Pass N/E of Trona, here are some pictures of what you can expect. There is one steep down hill going west to east that can be a challenge on a big Adventure Bike but it is fun on a dual sport bike. There is a rock garden at the bottom for a few miles.

I've only ever heard it called the 'escape route'. Rode it last year over Thanksgiving, up over Mengal, cabins, return through Spangler to Cuddeback. Yes, rock garden at the bottom. Easy on dualsports, harder on a adv bike.

The route you mentioned on the Ballarat side of the valley is like a dirt hiway - easy peasy. Did it a couple of years ago on a streetbike. Nadeau is normally smooth too, just cut over to PVR at Minietta Road. Unless something got torn up on it it should also be an easy route on a adv bike as well.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #1018
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
She also said the Shell Station doesn't have gas either but she doesn't know why. I can't verify this because I can't find the phone number of the shell station in Trona.
Call the Chevron in Big Pine he owns the Shell on Trona.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #1019
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,991
Quote:
Yes but it is still a two wheel drive road. Much more fun is the single track to the south.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #1020
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,838
Quote:
Here is a video of Manly Pass I shot a few years ago. One of my favorite ridge rides. The video includes the following:
Manly Pass
Ballarat
Indian Ranch Road
highway 190
South Pass
North Pass
Squaw Flat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pghyXkGOLE
nice vid and music....thanks jim.

lots of people are watching this thread including myself. death valley is an amazingly huge open place. can't wait to get there, possibly do a pre-run before the dv noob's rally on march of next year.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote