ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 09:49 AM   #91
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
Last friday.

Hunter mtn up to the right.

Come on RR, you could of jumped that snow drift on the 125 !

You know the road's bad if River Rats rig isn't at the springs

A.Vern screwed with this post 02-03-2010 at 09:54 AM
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM   #92
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2race
Take the GS, you won't have any problems if you're capable.
Yet another 650 rider baiting the fat kids
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #93
Trumper
Eclectic Dilettante
 
Trumper's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Palo Alto, California, Earth, Sol, Milky Way
Oddometer: 509
I'm heading out there the weekend of the 12th-15th.

The NPS site has almost all roads listed as "Closed."

http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisi...conditions.htm

What does "closed" actually mean? You can't enter? You'll get ticketed and busted if you go around a "closed" sign?

Some of this doesn' make a lot of sense: Wildrose and Emigrant Pass closed? That's paved. Mustard Canyon and 20 Mule Team closed?!? That's graded, graveled, easy stuff down in the valley floor. But there are folks on here saying they did the gnarly stuff (Lippencott, Saline, etc.).

This will be a newb group I'm with, but the NPS site is making it sound like even the easy tour stuff (Dante's View, Emigrant, Wildrose, Mustard, etc.) is closed...?

What happens if you just go around a "Closed" sign?
__________________
Kill all paranoids!
Trumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #94
RiverRat
Endless Chores
 
RiverRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Shackled, in a trailer, down by the river, AZ
Oddometer: 3,836
Basically closed means closed inside the park. Don't go past a closed road sign with a vehicle. Everything should dry out soon and you'll be good to go.

If you go past you may make it through, find impassable conditions, nps, chp, or ca dot workers. You better have a good reason to be on a "closed road".
__________________
QE infinity not looking so good ....

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #95
A.Vern
One Man Wolf Pack
 
A.Vern's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Transplanted in North Padre Island, Tejas
Oddometer: 974
Depends on which road you go around the closed sign on....

For instance, Saline Valley RD usually has a closed sign on it during the winter months. The reason being that Inyokern County determines if the road is passable for an average passenger car, if not then it is "closed"....

Meaning, travel at your own risk. Right now, it's filled in with 3 foot snow drifts.

Down in Death, it's usually different and a closed sign means stay out.

The best thing to do is call the rangers and ask them what roads are "own risk closures" and what roads are "gonna get a big ticket closures."

If you're looking for easy rides, it appeared that the road past Ubehebe crater, Tea Kettle junction to the race track was open the other day...

At least there were non Park Ranger trucks on it. (note that Ubehebe crater parking area is closed).

The DV site says Wildrose is closed in the lower canyon due to flood damage... in this area the road basically follows a dry river, that looks like it was flowing during the last storm. There may not be pavement left?

I would try it out and see how it is, it doesn't appear to be completely closed. Looks like you can make it to the Charcoal Kilns as well from the web site, just might be a little snow up there.

Indian Springs RD (out of the park) to Ballarat is a good ride and you can take that all the way down to the mouth of Goler Wash, check it out and then loop back up to Panamint Springs. Looked good the other day.

West side Road is open as well, and if you haven't ridden Green Water Road to Tecopa, that's another scenic easy ride that looks open.

Have fun out there,

Vern
A.Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #96
RiverRat
Endless Chores
 
RiverRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: Shackled, in a trailer, down by the river, AZ
Oddometer: 3,836
sunrise on south pass 1/29

__________________
QE infinity not looking so good ....

RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:54 AM   #97
airborndad
Beastly Adventurer
 
airborndad's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Montclair Ca.
Oddometer: 2,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumper
What happens if you just go around a "Closed" sign?
I heard from a very unreliable sorce that Highly trained snipers will take you out, then eat your corpse as part of their survival training
airborndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #98
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat
sunrise on south pass 1/29

Now that just looks like too much fun. Looks like they could open all these passes for snowmobiling...........I'm anxious to see all this in person if a few weeks.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #99
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,229
Did anyone ride DV this last weekend?

I'm interested in conditions on Death Valley Road east of Big Pine to Eureka Dunes, Echo Pass and Lippincott Mine Road to the Race Track.

Also, are there many people staying at the Warm Springs in Saline Valley this time of year with South and North Pass Closed with the only way in and out being Steele Pass and Lippincott Mine Road?

Does Lizzard Larry live at the Warm Springs year round? If so, how does he get supplies this time of year?

Do any of you know of anyone who has ridden a BMW R1200GS or similiar size bike, over Echo Pass from Furnace Creek to Beatty? I hear there is a "work around" to avoid the "steps" on this trail but I have never been on it.

Thanks for an info.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........

2on2off screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 11:10 AM
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:10 AM   #100
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel
 
Sam Buca's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
Did anyone ride DV this last weekend?

I'm interested in conditions on Death Valley Road east of Big Pine to Eureka Dunes, Echo Pass and Lippincott Mine Road to the Race Track.

Also, are there many people staying at the Warm Springs in Saline Valley this time of year with South and North Pass Closed with the only way in and out being Steele Pass and Lippincott Mine Road?

Does Lizzard Larry live at the Warm Springs year round? If so, how does he get supplies this time of year?

Thanks for an info.



Similarly interested in conditions along Saline Valley road, over Hunter Mountain, Hidden Valley and around the Race Track to Teakettle Junction to the crater. Is it better (easier) to ride on the Eastern side (Hunter Mountain Rd) or the Race Track, or follow Saline Valley Rd along the West of the Race Track along Lippencot Mine?

What is that road like generally for two GS Adv's and two city slickers with nothing better to do?

The road from Ubehebe crater to the Race Track is very doable.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you.



.

Sam Buca screwed with this post 02-08-2010 at 11:39 AM
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #101
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Buca
Similarly interested in conditions along Saline Valley road, over Hunter Mountain, Hidden Valley and around the Race Track to Teakettle Junction to the crater. Is it better (easier) to ride on the Eastern side (Hunter Mountain Rd) or the Race Track, or follow Saline Valley Rd along the West of the Race Track?

What is that road like generally for two GS Adv's and two city slickers with nothing better to do?

The road from Ubehebe crater to the Race Track is very doable.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you.



.
When are you going?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #102
joefromsf
Dark Happens
 
joefromsf's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
Do any of you know of anyone who has ridden a BMW R1200GS or similiar size bike, over Echo Pass from Furnace Creek to Beatty? I hear there is a "work around" to avoid the "steps" on this trail but I have never been on it.
Jim,

Popey (R1150GS) and I (VStrom 650) made it thru Echo Pass a couple of years ago.

We lucked out in that there were two others at the big step when we got there. I think it was AZCacti (KTM 950) and MiseryGoat (smaller KTM). I believe the smaller KTM made it on its own power. The 3 big bikes all got assistance to get up the step. Would have be much harder but probably possible if we hadn't run into them. The step section is shorter and probably easier than trying to go up the rocks at Mengel Pass.

That said Popey and I both consider Echo Pass to be harder than Steele Pass and probably the hardest 1/2 day of riding we had ever done. There were no easy sections. Miles of soft gravel on the way in. And the other side was a 10 mile (?) teeth rattling ride down a rocky alluvial fan. We were totally wiped at the end.

Pic of the step section:



Its one ride that I don't think I'll be repeating on my VStrom.
__________________
--Joe .................................... http://joefromsf.smugmug.com/

We can't crash an infinite amount of times, so you better learn from every one! (by ARZ)
joefromsf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:16 PM   #103
Sam Buca
a.k.a. Daniel
 
Sam Buca's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2002
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Oddometer: 2,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
When are you going?


This coming weekend - Friday night through Sunday pm. Camping either at Furnace Creek, Panamint Springs or Stovepipe Wells.




.
Sam Buca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #104
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromsf
Jim,

Popey (R1150GS) and I (VStrom 650) made it thru Echo Pass a couple of years ago.

We lucked out in that there were two others at the big step when we got there. I think it was AZCacti (KTM 950) and MiseryGoat (smaller KTM). I believe the smaller KTM made it on its own power. The 3 big bikes all got assistance to get up the step. Would have be much harder but probably possible if we hadn't run into them. The step section is shorter and probably easier than trying to go up the rocks at Mengel Pass.

That said Popey and I both consider Echo Pass to be harder than Steele Pass and probably the hardest 1/2 day of riding we had ever done. There were no easy sections. Miles of soft gravel on the way in. And the other side was a 10 mile (?) teeth rattling ride down a rocky alluvial fan. We were totally wiped at the end.

Pic of the step section:



Its one ride that I don't think I'll be repeating on my VStrom.
Hi Joe:

Thanks for the feedback as that is exactly the type of information I was looking for. The R1200GS rider that will be coming along won't want to ride Echo as he will be looking for a more mellow route. Echo will probably be exhausting even on the DRZ400S but I'm anxious to see it for myself.

If the weather stays good, we plan to ride from Ridgecrest to the Escape Route to Mengel Pass to Furnace Creek. Gas up and then head east of Echo Pass road to Beaty for the night.

Then ride to Rhyolite, Titus Canyon, if open, and then head to Ballaratt and back over the Escape Route to Trona and back to Ridgecrest if all goes according to plan.

The last time I saw you was at Tom's house in Pacific Grove a few years ago with the ride Tom set up.

I believe you have also taken your Strom north on the Steele Pass trail from Warm Springs in Saline Valley. You have tested the limits of your bike and it has been fun to read your reports.

Thanks again for the info on Echo.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #105
traveltoad
Aaron S
 
traveltoad's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: San Fernando Valley
Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off
...The R1200GS rider that will be coming along...

... we plan to ride from Ridgecrest to the Escape Route to Mengel Pass ...

... to Ballaratt and back over the Escape Route to Trona and back to Ridgecrest if all goes according to plan.
On a 1200GS?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014