ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM   #1081
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,245
Big change in the weather for Death Valley this weekend. Snow on the mountain passes and steady rain. I've canceled my trip.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #1082
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Big change in the weather for Death Valley this weekend. Snow on the mountain passes and steady rain. I've canceled my trip.
indeed, we got nearly an inch of rain here on the central coast, I wouldn't be surprised to see that has meant a foot or more snow at some places in the Sierra.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:16 PM   #1083
reenmachine
Rain or Shine
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Studio City, CA
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on2off View Post
Big change in the weather for Death Valley this weekend. Snow on the mountain passes and steady rain. I've canceled my trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
indeed, we got nearly an inch of rain here on the central coast, I wouldn't be surprised to see that has meant a foot or more snow at some places in the Sierra.
It rained hard today in LA as well. Shame about your trip!
__________________
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure
'11 BMW G650GS
'02 Yamaha FZ1
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #1084
endoquest
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 12
I'm still going, weather won't stop me.
endoquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #1085
reenmachine
Rain or Shine
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Studio City, CA
Oddometer: 457
From my facebook feed just now:



Death Valley Road Conditions 2,457 like this
7 minutes ago
WARNING on all park roads: Possible snow and ice in higher elevations - use caution. The snow line is 5,000 feet.
- Chains or snow tires required on Towne Pass due.
- Dantes View Rd. is closed at the junction of Greenwater Valley Rd. due to snow. (ts)


In my experience this can make for a sketchy drop down the grapevine (South Pass into Saline Valley), although it's only about 100m of permanently-shaded steep road that ices over, and Trail Attacks weren't exactly the wisest choice...

__________________
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure
'11 BMW G650GS
'02 Yamaha FZ1

reenmachine screwed with this post 11-22-2013 at 11:13 AM
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #1086
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,666
Oh that looks familiar....



yeah it does get Icy

__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #1087
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist
 
RAZR's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Silver Lake (L.A.)
Oddometer: 8,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post

that happens w/o snow with you.
__________________
"when there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"
YOUTUBE
SPOT
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #1088
live2ridetahoe
RN
 
live2ridetahoe's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Concord, CA
Oddometer: 1,393
I am heading down from Tahoe on Monday to Saline Valley.

Any idea on the roads on the East side? 395?

Planning on coming in North Pass to Saline Valley. I have heard good things about the road now that they worked on it.

Figuring on cold mornings and it warming up during the day.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #1089
reenmachine
Rain or Shine
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Studio City, CA
Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I am heading down from Tahoe on Monday to Saline Valley.

Any idea on the roads on the East side? 395?

Planning on coming in North Pass to Saline Valley. I have heard good things about the road now that they worked on it.

Figuring on cold mornings and it warming up during the day.

JG
If you didn't see it, I was just on North Pass and posted pics and info just a page or so back. It was great. However, there may be snow on decent bits of it now.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure
'11 BMW G650GS
'02 Yamaha FZ1
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM   #1090
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Truckee/Tahoe
Oddometer: 357
Two from Truckee heading down tomorrow

We'll base in Panamint Springs and plan on doing numerous big rides over the next several days. Heading to Warm Springs on an overnight Monday. One DRZ-400, one WR-250R.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2008 KTM 450 EXC-R
2005 Honda Elite (just because)

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #1091
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new
 
2on2off's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Central California
Oddometer: 1,245
South Pass Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
From my facebook feed just now:



Death Valley Road Conditions 2,457 like this
7 minutes ago
WARNING on all park roads: Possible snow and ice in higher elevations - use caution. The snow line is 5,000 feet.
- Chains or snow tires required on Towne Pass due.
- Dantes View Rd. is closed at the junction of Greenwater Valley Rd. due to snow. (ts)


In my experience this can make for a sketchy drop down the grapevine (South Pass into Saline Valley), although it's only about 100m of permanently-shaded steep road that ices over, and Trail Attacks weren't exactly the wisest choice...

I have gone down before on a Honda XR650L in this very section going up that hill because of the ice. There are two sections of ice on South Pass very close to each other.

North Pass and Hunter Mountain are about 1,000 ft. higher in elevation than South Pass and usually are more difficult to get through once the snow starts falling, so, if you have the skills to ride Steele Pass or Lippencott Mine Road, those road seem to never get any ice on them but they are more difficult to ride than South and North Pass.
__________________
Jim
I came to ride...........
2on2off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #1092
Skowinski
Deuterostome
 
Skowinski's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Mojave Desert
Oddometer: 5,124
Good information, thanks all. Headed out Saturday for an overnighter from Vegas. Probably won't get too far off the beaten path, we are on a BMW F650GS single and an Aprilia Pegaso... Not exactly dirt bikes, but ok on decent dirt roads.
__________________

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu


In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #1093
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: San Clemente
Oddometer: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Good information, thanks all. Headed out Saturday for an overnighter from Vegas. Probably won't get too far off the beaten path, we are on a BMW F650GS single and an Aprilia Pegaso... Not exactly dirt bikes, but ok on decent dirt roads.
Will be there Sat/Sun on my new S10. Break-in ride!! S. OC-Beatty SAt. Tour de DV Sun. Wave when I go by.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #1094
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,666
I'm in site 14 at Panamint springs stop by if you end up in the area
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:13 PM   #1095
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Truckee/Tahoe
Oddometer: 357
Nov 24-29

Great riding along numerous routes on a WR250R and DR400E.

South Park Canyon from the bottom to the valley above. Snow prevented continuing the loop to Pleasant and down.

South Pass impassable due to snow but Racetrack - Lippincott - Warm Springs - Steele Pass - Crankshaft Junction and back all good.

Escape route to Trona from Ballarat good. Goler Wash is graded - step at bottom gone.

North Pass route graded and good. Wash outs in Saline easily negotiated.

Have fun out there.
__________________
2007 KTM 990 Adventure
2008 KTM 450 EXC-R
2005 Honda Elite (just because)

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014