ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #1201
oldbmw
havehandlebarswillrideit

Oddometer: 163
Manly escape route and Goler Wash

Any current intel?
oldbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #1202
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
They don't. They have lite-bikes, which are rather quite good from KTM, and that's what they're talking about, ad infinitem.
It's the LCx's that have so many problems.

Let's get back to DV riding conditions...
Did anyone get a wheel on the grade coming off Cerro Gordo down to Saline? We are trying to plan rides for the noobs and hear it got washed out really bad and virtually impassable. A few of us may go up ahead of time to pre-ride it. Maybe a trip to Lone Pine or Bishop and put a couple'a rides in.
Hey Chris, I don't know if you are looking for a more recent report, but that's the way we came back down from CG after the salt tram ride last year. If I recall correctly, one section was kind of blown out (for a truck) but it was easily passable on a moto. I'm talking about the 3-4 mile stretch of White Mountain Talc Road at the bottom of the mountain (after CG road) before it connects to the lower part of Saline Valley (at the junction with the DV sign). That stretch had a good amount of washouts and rocky/sandy sections. Everything else was fine.

r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #1203
vacationista
n00b

Oddometer: 7
ride east from Cero Gordo

Hello 2on2off /oldbmw.....In October I started in Placerville, camped backside Mono Lake, next day went up Swansea Rd, camped on the tramway platform. Then rode to Cero Gordo and rode east over the pass. Half way down the road was very washed out but saw half dozen motorcycle tracks so I continued. About half way down is a branch road that ends at a mine so stay in the canyon till the canyon opens up and on the right is White Mountain Talc Rd. I continued to Saline Valley hot springs and camped. Next day I went home going through Yosemite. Really liked camping off the grid, almost like backpacking on a dirt bike.
You wrote you are ridding south pass, north pass and Lipitcott next weekend. Are you guys taking the Bumblebees or the KTMs? Have a good trip----Dave

vacationista screwed with this post 02-08-2014 at 09:25 PM
vacationista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #1204
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,230
It is going to be a KTM weekend.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:00 AM   #1205
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,633
hi

there was 60+ riders in Death Valley 1 week ago. check the ride reports on DVDAZE thread.

or go have a fucking adventure and ride it yourself.
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 07:31 AM   #1206
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,442
It's not an adventure, it's a fucking adventure.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:09 AM   #1207
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbmw View Post
Any current intel?
Have't done the Escape Route in several years, but went up Goler, over Mengel to Striped Butte and then back down Goler about 3 weeks ago in my Jeep. Goler steps were filled in last year, and this year were filled in even smoother. Mengel was in standard condition...same as last year, except a few rocks have been moved around.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #1208
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Did South Pass get any snow in the last week?

Like many of you, I have ridden all over DV for many years and know from experience that one storm can change conditions on some of the higher passes from one day to the next.

I'd like to know if the storms, that went through Calfornia last week, dumped any new snow on South Pass in particular.

If any of you rode South Pass into Saline Valley this past weekend or last week, I'd like to know what the conditions are.

My friends will be riding from Beatty, through Titus to the Race Track, down Lippincott, to the hot springs and then back out through South Pass to Panamint Springs Resort without a gas stop. That is going to be a long ride and there is no margin for miscalculating your gas needs.

Should they come to South Pass and find it to be impassable because of last weeks storm, they will have to back track out Lippincott or Steele Pass and that will require alot more gas.

Reading about the condition of South Pass before this most recent storm isn't the information I need.

Thanks for any recent information from the past week.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:09 AM   #1209
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,239
I rode south pass on Thursday. They were finishing grading it. You could run a motor coach over it. Watch out for the graders in the blind corners.

The rough spots on Lippencot have been smoothed. Not the challenge it used to be.

The gravel wash from the hot spring to steel pass is a mess. A challenge on a big bike depending on your skill level. Long miles of deep loose gravel.

Difficulty is relative so YMMV. Not my fault if you disagree.

Have a great ride.

-dod
Old 02-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #1210
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

That is what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:41 PM   #1211
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Guys-

So is Trona/Wildrose Rd. from Trona into the park Officially open or not. Rode through there in December and the sign said closed. Went around WO a problem but, read later it is a big deal if the man see's you there. Riding a huge dumb ADV bike so racing off thru the desert or Nadeau(?)Rd. NOT an option.

Read thru the last dozen pages and still not sure of the Official status.

Best option from OC?

Thanks - Brad
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #1212
Off Limits
Really?

Oddometer: 3,317
If I'm not mistaken, the road was always open to balarat. And if I remember, there is a huge fast dirt/gravel road from balarat towards 190. Runs more o. The east side of the valley. That road would be ok for big bikes. Harley's too.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #1213
radbrad511
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Yup, thanks.
radbrad511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #1214
Trailtwister
To the peak!

Oddometer: 464
In the 'hood this weekend

Hey you DV riders,

Myself and maybe a couple of Utards or Ida-hards plan to explore the Valley this weekend, and wondered if we could hook up with anybody for a couple days.

I'll be on a 950 Adventure, fairly knarworthy -- A bit of dirt and rock would be excellent. Probly coming into DV from the North on Thursday afternoon, working toward the South. But definitely flexible. I may end up coming alone, so a riding buddy would be great.

PM me or post here if I can tag with you.
Trailtwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #1215
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailtwister View Post
Myself and maybe a couple of Utards or Ida-hards plan to explore the Valley this weekend, and wondered if we could hook up with anybody for a couple days. .
http://www.dualsportwest.com/public/...14%20Rally.pdf