ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #1306
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
DVDAZE is a DIY event which I call an un-rally that there are no fees. just pay for your own campsite and ride your own ride.
basically a way to get people out to Death Valley and have a good time. meet new people. drink a beer or 3. no money exchanged. the NPS makes money off us. if you want to give us your GPS routes, please do.
Not exactly true if you read the death valley regs. They don't care if you charge or not.

If you are asking for my tracks, they are posted on GPSXchange.com

If you read the DVDaze thread, they point to my tracks in the first post.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1307
flynride
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Anyways......

Conditions were absolutely perfect the last few days. Wildrose does have a sign that says closed but you can easily bypass it and continue on.

Titus was excellent and I only saw one other person. Get out there and ride now!!!
Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM   #1308
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,537
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynride View Post
Anyways......

Conditions were absolutely perfect the last few days. Wildrose does have a sign that says closed but you can easily bypass it and continue on.

Titus was excellent and I only saw one other person. Get out there and ride now!!!
Yep, it's already getting hot in the Dez, it was mid 70's in Johnson Valley last weekend...
Old 02-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1309
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 9,996
Quote:
Wildrose does have a sign that says closed but you can easily bypass it and continue on.
the feds take driving on closed roads pretty seriously.

just saying.
Old 02-24-2014, 11:40 AM   #1310
RAZR
yup ima hairstylist

Oddometer: 8,520
Quote:
Anyways...... ::snaps fingers back and forth::

you talkin bout Trona Wildrose Rd or Wildrose Rd going thru to Emigrant Canyon Rd? there was a major vertical wash out last month... doubt they rebuilt that already.
if it's Trona Wildrose Rd going to Panamint Valley Rd to the 190, read back a few pages.... that was re-opened on Feb 1.

Titus was excellent and I only saw one other person.
WOW! that's 1 more peoples that we saw a few weeks ago. that's incredible!

Get out there and ride now!!!
thanks!
RAZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:04 PM   #1311
MJS
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZR View Post
DVDAZE is a DIY event which I call an un-rally that there are no fees. just pay for your own campsite and ride your own ride.
basically a way to get people out to Death Valley and have a good time. meet new people. drink a beer or 3. no money exchanged. the NPS makes money off us.

if you want to give us your GPS routes, please do.
When this was a BMW event it was also a DIY unorganized and unofficial gathering. That didn't stop the NPS from contacting Brian Curry to DEMAND he provide insurance and meet all the other requirements for a permit. What did Brian do? He started a Yahoo group so people could coordinate and meet up on-line prior to the weekend.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #1312
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
the feds take driving on closed roads pretty seriously. just saying.
As stated in several places, Wildrose in the National Park is open with both gates open. The County portion of Wildrose at the Panamint Valley road has a saw horse with closed (cover their ass) sign that you can just drive around.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 AM   #1313
Pointman0853
Unregistered Gun Owner

Oddometer: 1,376
Time for the return of...

The Phantom Duck of the Desert!

Pointman
IBA #5
CarsonTahoeAdventureMoto.com
Pointman0853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:45 AM   #1314
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJS View Post
When this was a BMW event it was also a DIY unorganized and unofficial gathering. That didn't stop the NPS from contacting Brian Curry to DEMAND he provide insurance and meet all the other requirements for a permit. What did Brian do? He started a Yahoo group so people could coordinate and meet up on-line prior to the weekend.
I remember the last Semi Official DVD event. ADV tagged along to the BMW event. NPS queried me and probably others as to whether I was a member of the official ride. Their stated goal was to force the organizer to obtain liability insurance that covered all the attendees and held the Park service harmless. I think it was $1,000,000 coverage which probably would have been very expensive and would been the end of these types of rides.

I know they were monitoring this site, the larger and more organized they become, the more interest they have.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #1315
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
NPS queried me and probably others as to whether I was a member of the official ride. Their stated goal was to force the organizer to obtain liability insurance that covered all the attendees and held the Park service harmless.
The Insurance only covers the NPS against claims by participants but any organizer should have it any way and it only costs a couple hundred $.

The much bigger issue is the nanny state NPS need to control everything. This is from the e-mail I received from them;

provide a First Aid/CPR certified guides to conduct motorcycle tours through the park.

Maximum group size for each motorcycle tour is 20 people.

you must provide educational information about the park.

traveling in the wilderness and backcountry areas, safety and sanitation procedures are very important.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #1316
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
The Insurance only covers the NPS against claims by participants but any organizer should have it any way and it only costs a couple hundred $.

The much bigger issue is the nanny state NPS need to control everything. This is from the e-mail I received from them;

provide a First Aid/CPR certified guides to conduct motorcycle tours through the park.

Maximum group size for each motorcycle tour is 20 people.

you must provide educational information about the park.

traveling in the wilderness and backcountry areas, safety and sanitation procedures are very important.
Those rules seem reasonable enough, you should see the crap I have to deal with operating a paint & body shop...the NPS manages the parks with the visitor experience in mind plus protection of the land for the future.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #1317
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcvance View Post
Those rules seem reasonable enough, you should see the crap I have to deal with operating a paint & body shop...the NPS manages the parks with the visitor experience in mind plus protection of the land for the future.
Not sure "reasonable" describes very bad vs even worse but yes EPA almost makes NPS and all other government look better.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #1318
dzrtracin
ride'n 2 live

Oddometer: 2,441
I'm so phucking tired of rules & regulations

RIDE ON!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #1319
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown View Post
Not sure "reasonable" describes very bad vs even worse but yes EPA almost makes NPS and all other government look better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzrtracin View Post
I'm so phucking tired of rules & regulations

RIDE ON!
EPA, OSHA, Air Quality, BAR, Visalia city, EDD, DOT, the list goes on... Waaay too many rules.

Jerry. at least you get to ride as an occupation, I'm jealous.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:02 PM   #1320
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
This weekend

Looks like Death Valley might get some rain this week Thursday - Saturday. Just enough to settle the dust and with temps around 70 degrees, this could be a great weekend to be in Death Valley.