ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #1441
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,697
Rode 2 up saline to tea kettle via hunter and hidden valley. No silt or real sand it is a freeway stupid smooth pics coming tomorrow night
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #1442
Sfcootz
Sugarbush
 
Sfcootz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 3,109
Dsm8 im going to the rally on Thursday. Do you think saline Valley is doable from panamint on my weestrom?
__________________
RIP Lance. You are missed.
To live outside the law you must first be honest.
"the adventure is in the rider, not the bike."

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #1443
spafxer
Beastly Adventurer
 
spafxer's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfcootz View Post
Dsm8 im going to the rally on Thursday. Do you think saline Valley is doable from panamint on my weestrom?

The VStrom has no problem making the ride into Saline Valley. Now that it is all graded it will be the best it has been in years....


The real question is how much dirt experience do you have? If you have the experience then now is the time.. Ask around in camp, I'll be there Wednesday and can take you down to a relatively easy dirt road and gauge your dirt riding comfort level. This is where I took my daughter last year to get her used to the dirt/rocks of DV. She did great and went on to ride the other roads of DV with no problem.

Spafxer
jim
site 22
spafxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:17 PM   #1444
Sfcootz
Sugarbush
 
Sfcootz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: San Francisco
Oddometer: 3,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer View Post
The VStrom has no problem making the ride into Saline Valley. Now that it is all graded it will be the best it has been in years....


The real question is how much dirt experience do you have? If you have the experience then now is the time.. Ask around in camp, I'll be there Wednesday and can take you down to a relatively easy dirt road and gauge your dirt riding comfort level. This is where I took my daughter last year to get her used to the dirt/rocks of DV. She did great and went on to ride the other roads of DV with no problem.

Spafxer
jim
site 22

Hi Jim,

I'm riding down from San Francisco on Thursday. I was thinking of Saline for a Saturday ride. I was riding dirt roads just yesterday. I have probably 6-8 trips out on dirt roads under my belt and I keep asking my friend to take me out for more. I would be happy to ride with you and have you assess my comfort level. I would LOVE to get out to Saline.
__________________
RIP Lance. You are missed.
To live outside the law you must first be honest.
"the adventure is in the rider, not the bike."

Viva la figa
Sfcootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #1445
RandyM
Less talk, More ride
 
RandyM's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Westminster, Ca
Oddometer: 905
I took a short trip to Death Valley and Alabama hills last weekend.

I took my Vstrom loaded with camping gear up Cerro Gordo road from Keeler (west side). Cerro Gordo road is smooth and hard packed dirt from Hwy 136 to the ghost town. The caretaker told me that the east side from Cerro Gordo to Saline is very washed out and the Salt tram road is also reported to be a very difficult ride.



The caretaker at Cerro Gordo is an awesome guy, restoring the town and giving tours. I highly recommend paying a visit and leaving a few bucks in the donation jar to help out.

Also, there is a nice flower bloom on the east side of Towne pass along hwy 190, right around Emigrant Campground, and a few miles up Emigrant Canyon Road.

For those traveling from Socal, there is about 15 miles of road construction on Hwy 395, between Adelento and Kraemer Junction, with 60MPH speed limit, no passing, and one or both shoulders closed for most of the construction zone.
__________________
-Ride Safe-
RandyM
RandyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:56 AM   #1446
Snks
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyM View Post
I took a short trip to Death Valley and Alabama hills last weekend.

I took my Vstrom loaded with camping gear up Cerro Gordo road from Keeler (west side). Cerro Gordo road is smooth and hard packed dirt from Hwy 136 to the ghost town. The caretaker told me that the east side from Cerro Gordo to Saline is very washed out and the Salt tram road is also reported to be a very difficult ride.





The caretaker at Cerro Gordo is an awesome guy, restoring the town and giving tours. I highly recommend paying a visit and leaving a few bucks in the donation jar to help out.

Also, there is a nice flower bloom on the east side of Towne pass along hwy 190, right around Emigrant Campground, and a few miles up Emigrant Canyon Road.

For those traveling from Socal, there is about 15 miles of road construction on Hwy 395, between Adelento and Kraemer Junction, with 60MPH speed limit, no passing, and one or both shoulders closed for most of the construction zone.
Thank you for posting. I think I would like to visit Cerro Gorodo. Hope its doable two up.
Snks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1447
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....
 
DSM8's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Glendora, Ca
Oddometer: 3,697
Video of the conditions over Hunter through to the crater

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=2560
__________________
DSM8 - A different kind of mean
SQL > SELECT finger FROM hand WHERE id=3
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...d5LbKWMz6cHxaH
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:41 PM   #1448
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,039
Jost got back...

Ubehebe to Race Track is the worst I've ever seen it - jeep tours I guess. It has to be the worst washboarded road in all of DV. I suggest skipping it. If I'd have known it was so bad (we came off Hunter mountain road to Teakettle) I would have gone down Lippincott instead.

We did pop up to Scotty's after Ubehebe (my son had not seen it) and got stock with a pilot car for repaving project on that road. Otherwise uneventful. Streetbikes crashed on Titus.

Goler to Mengal is also the softest I've seen it - seems to be a LOT of traffic going thru there these days so loose rubble and gravel. Nothing hard though, anything can get through it with the right pilot.

Pleasant Canyon is horrible - good rider on light bike is fine but not noob-friendly. Half of our crew didn't make it to the cabin. We went back to Ballarat.

Saline Valley Road is now a hiway, smooth , fast and wide. Hunter is the same, everything is dry.

Panamint Valley Road is fine - the patched section of gravel is all good except for the last eighth of a mile or so on the north end, getting very washboarded. The rest of it we made 40mph with the RV. Easy Trip.

New Shell station in Trona - very nice. The Valero seems to be going strong as well.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #1449
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Oddometer: 171
heading to Death Vally next week..

camping at Furnace Creek. Other than Titus Cyn. What other "moderate" dual-sport rides should 3 guys over 50 with moderate off road-skills on the big bikes be for? Looking for some great scenic/historic rides that are 100-200 miles from camp that are mostly off road.....
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 08:35 PM   #1450
tbarstow
Two-wheelin' Fool
 
tbarstow's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Viva Lost Wages!
Oddometer: 3,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
camping at Furnace Creek. Other than Titus Cyn. What other "moderate" dual-sport rides should 3 guys over 50 with moderate off road-skills on the big bikes be for? Looking for some great scenic/historic rides that are 100-200 miles from camp that are mostly off road.....

Define "moderate"?

Go to Chloride Cliffs, then to Beatty for lunch and gas, the ride Titus. Hit Artists Drive in the afternoon to catch the better light.

If you don't mind a little sand, go to the hot springs.
tbarstow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:50 AM   #1451
reenmachine
Rain or Shine
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Studio City, CA
Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Saline Valley Road is now a hiway, smooth , fast and wide. Hunter is the same, everything is dry.
I keep seeing this and it's tempting me to take the new 1190 Adventure to the springs on its OEM Trail Attack 2s. I'm due for a spring springs trip and was going to take the G650GS one last time since it has proper tires and I'm very comfortable on it off road, but geez -- sounds like I'd be fine.
__________________
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure
'11 BMW G650GS
'02 Yamaha FZ1
reenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:00 AM   #1452
isaac004
Studly Adventurer
 
isaac004's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Oddometer: 764
Pictures to follow but cliff notes from this past weekend (3/30) are as follows. I was on a 690, and also had a XR650R in our group, among other DS singles.
-Hunter Mtn in great shape, no snow on road. Some spots have big ruts from when they were big mud puddles weeks ago, but are now dry. Keep an eye open and ride at a moderate speed and these will be no surprise.

-Lippencott is loose but no big deal. We rode down with a group of larger singles, but ran across a group that rode up with big twins (F800, Strom, etc). Seems on par with last year. No washouts.


-Swansea Grade Road (to Salt Tram). Loose and rough, similiar to last year. It would take great skill and control to get a twin up here with no issues. Even your bigger singles will get a big workout. Very little snow on the road to the west of the tram. To the east there is some 20-50 feet section of snow, but it is simple enough to ride through/around. A truck would have trouble here.


-Cerro Gordo Rd: From the highway up to the ghost town is wide and smooth. Down the backside (towards White Mtn Talc Road) is VERY loose and rocky, definitely a big workout. Remember to watch for the carin/rock stack at the bottom to signal a sharp right to get on White Mtn Talc Road.

isaac004 screwed with this post 04-01-2014 at 11:27 PM
isaac004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:17 AM   #1453
Pcfly
Dude?! Seriously??
 
Pcfly's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: SF. Bay Area
Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBickell View Post
camping at Furnace Creek. Other than Titus Cyn. What other "moderate" dual-sport rides should 3 guys over 50 with moderate off road-skills on the big bikes be for? Looking for some great scenic/historic rides that are 100-200 miles from camp that are mostly off road.....
Just got back from a week there and also did the Noobs DV Rally. As mentioned, Titus is great as always and I would suggest doing Hunter Mountain too, either way, big bike friendly. Again it's all "RELATIVE", your skill and my skill maybe different but DO NOT RIDE GOLAR thru MENGAL ON A BIG BIKE UNLESS YOU'VE DONE SOME QUALITY DIRT OR HAVE A CREW OF BIKE PICKER-UPPERS! :loll I had 9 people in my group, guys on WR250R's thru F800GSA, everyone on the big bikes should have been on the little bikes........infact we had to switch out one rider who just needed to be on a smaller bike because he was on the verge of distorying his bike. AGAIN it's all relative, it can be done on ANY bike but it's A LOT easier on the bike and rider on smaller bikes.

My group was also held up by a few KLR's and a 1200GSA while riding thru. I had to pull out the tow straps as we joined another party to pull all the big bikes thru.......basically in our way trying to get to geologist cabin.

Don't get me wrong, with the right skill set just about any common route can be done on any bike there, they really graded everything that is a popular route. Enjoy but stay safe and within your lowest rider skill set.
__________________
2011 Husqvarna TE-630 The Red Raptor
2012 Yamaha 50th Anniversary Badass-Sounding R1
2008 BMW 1200GS The Blue Rhino (SOLD)
Pcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #1454
HardWorkingDog
Harvey Mushman
 
HardWorkingDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Walnut Crick, Cal.
Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I keep seeing this and it's tempting me to take the new 1190 Adventure to the springs on its OEM Trail Attack 2s. I'm due for a spring springs trip and was going to take the G650GS one last time since it has proper tires and I'm very comfortable on it off road, but geez -- sounds like I'd be fine.
I was on it 3 weeks ago, one in our group managed to taco his SupTen's front rim--it's easy to get going too fast and not see the sharp edged rocks. And there's still a good amount of those bastids... Just take it easy, you'll be OK.
__________________
"Coffee first..."

Next Trip: Divide & Conquer...


"it's a dog's life.............and I love it"
HardWorkingDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:59 AM   #1455
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 5,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenmachine View Post
I keep seeing this and it's tempting me to take the new 1190 Adventure to the springs on its OEM Trail Attack 2s. I'm due for a spring springs trip and was going to take the G650GS one last time since it has proper tires and I'm very comfortable on it off road, but geez -- sounds like I'd be fine.

I still wouldn't ride all that way on dirt with road tires. I understand there are still some sandy patches and then there's the road going in to the springs. And you still have to be able to stop and turn. I would at least throw a Fullbore, K60, or other dualsport type tire on the front. And yes, there are the rocks. Probly be fine with the conti on the rear, air down to 25lbs and keep the speed down.

Otherwise you get one of these LOL:

__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
Camp Nelson 2014 RR Laguna Seca 2012 RR Sequoia 3-Day Campout Thanksgiving 2012
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014