ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
George Papadopolis OP
between

Oddometer: 8,876
Short 3 day loop out of Davis

Will be flying in on the 6th and out on the 10th Looking to ride 7th,8th and 9th of September. Meeting up with a pal in Davis California for a three day loop on a Ducati Multistrada 1200 and a Triumph scrambler. Looking to include 36 and Matthole rd on the second day but a little conflicted on the best route to 36 on the first day and which way best back to Davis on the third day. Any locals with input would be greatly appreciated.

George Papadopolis screwed with this post 08-16-2013 at 09:27 PM
George Papadopolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #2
Hookalatch
Born Under Bad Sign

Oddometer: 318
Coming back is easier to describe, continue south along the coast past Ft. Bragg to Hwy 128. Take that to Winters. Your Davis friend surely is familiar with those roads. He may have interesting variations of that or a better suggestion.

Lots of great ways to get to Hwy 36. Most people think only think of the section between Red Bluff and Fortuna as Hwy 36. The section between Red Bluff and Susanville is pretty nice to. If you want to try a mix of paved and graded dirt I would suggest heading out Highway 16 thru the Capay Valley. When its hits Hwy 20 You are nearly across from Bear Valley Road. Follow that all the way to Corning. There are other options for getting off this road or continuing on similar roads to Hwy 36 but you miss some really good sections of 36 and your will probably be tired of that kind of road by then anyway. Head to Red Bluff. Currently these is road construction closing the Red Bluff end and you have to detour thru town. That may change by the time you travel At first Bear Valley has long graded dirt sections but eventually you will hit paved sections that are in worse shape than most of the dirt. Look at a map to see which roads you stay on after Bear Valley. You are mostly just taking the main choice. Any streetbike should be able to ride these roads and your 2 bikes will do great.

A little detour to consider along 36 is take the Wildwood Road to Hwy 3. Head south on 3 thru Hayfork and back to 36. You will just get a little taste of Hwy 3 that way. Coming back to ride the whole length of Hwy 3 and some of the surrounding mountains is worth another trip back for you sometime. Its full of smoke up north for a while.

Have fun whichever way you go.

Chuck
Hookalatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,006
For the amount of time you have and the area you want to cover, I'd suggest staying on the west side of I5 for this trip. If you want to stay off of the interstate on the way north from Davis, you can either go up the river road on highway 45. It's all paved, fast speed limits when not going through towns, and a little cooler being next to the river. Or take the inner valley through Stonyford. Take Highway 16 west into Capay Valley. Once you hit Highway 20, continue north on the dirt Bear Valley Road. Very well graded, easy to ride any bike. Follow that north through Stonyford (gas usually available), Paskenta (no gas) and end up on Lowery/Red Bank Road into Red Bluff. You'll want to get gas there as there isn't much along highway 36, unless you can make it to Platina where you can get gas.

For the way back, highways 128 and 20 can be quite fun between the coast and 101. There are many local roads that are MORE fun, though...like Comptch/Ukiah Road which becomes Orr Springs Road. These connect Mendocino and Ukiah. I recall that portions are nicely graded dirt, but it's mostly just rough asphalt. Then, I highly suggest highway 175 from Hopland to Lakeport (aka Hopland Grade). I would also suggest going through Lower Lake and taking Morgan Valley Road which turns into Knoxville/Berryessa Road. This is a rough, chewed up asphalt ribbon that is about one lane wide with no paint stripes. A very nice ride. Just be careful on the low water crossings, they're slippery.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
George Papadopolis OP
between

Thanks for the great input fellas!
Old 08-17-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,030
For a shorter loop, you could ride up 70 to Oroville and hit Oroville Quincy Hwy...

Do a great loop around Quincy, I've got one I do that takes you to Antelope Lake.. Overnight there in Quincy...

Then ride back home down Oroville-LaPorte Rd, Oregon Hill Rd, down through Colfax to Sugar Hill/Iowa Hill down into Foresthill then home..
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
George Papadopolis OP
between

Ive done 70 and putted around Quincy havent done Sugar Hill/ Iowa Hill though
Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM   #7
klinquist
übergeek

Oddometer: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chapulín Colorado View Post
Ive done 70 and putted around Quincy havent done Sugar Hill/ Iowa Hill though
Oroville-Quincy Highway runs parallel to 70 from Oroville to Quincy.. Most people just take 70 but Oroville-Quincy Hwy is MUCH more fun!

..and Quincy-LaPorte Rd is one of my top 5 roads in the state!
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
George Papadopolis OP
between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookalatch View Post
Coming back is easier to describe, continue south along the coast past Ft. Bragg to Hwy 128. Take that to Winters. Your Davis friend surely is familiar with those roads. He may have interesting variations of that or a better suggestion.

Lots of great ways to get to Hwy 36. Most people think only think of the section between Red Bluff and Fortuna as Hwy 36. The section between Red Bluff and Susanville is pretty nice to. If you want to try a mix of paved and graded dirt I would suggest heading out Highway 16 thru the Capay Valley. When its hits Hwy 20 You are nearly across from Bear Valley Road. Follow that all the way to Corning. There are other options for getting off this road or continuing on similar roads to Hwy 36 but you miss some really good sections of 36 and your will probably be tired of that kind of road by then anyway. Head to Red Bluff. Currently these is road construction closing the Red Bluff end and you have to detour thru town. That may change by the time you travel At first Bear Valley has long graded dirt sections but eventually you will hit paved sections that are in worse shape than most of the dirt. Look at a map to see which roads you stay on after Bear Valley. You are mostly just taking the main choice. Any streetbike should be able to ride these roads and your 2 bikes will do great.

A little detour to consider along 36 is take the Wildwood Road to Hwy 3. Head south on 3 thru Hayfork and back to 36. You will just get a little taste of Hwy 3 that way. Coming back to ride the whole length of Hwy 3 and some of the surrounding mountains is worth another trip back for you sometime. Its full of smoke up north for a while.

Have fun whichever way you go.

Chuck
followed your suggestions pretty close. Lodega Stonyford was a step back in time and simply awesome. 36 and 3 grinning ear to ear. best club sandwich I've had I years at the Dairy Store in Hayfork. got a flat on Mattole Road/ Lost Hwy 1700 pm on Sunday! Hadnt ridden in a year what a way to knock the rust off! thanks for all the tops fellas!
Old 09-09-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
Hop-Sing
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Follow Chuck

Good advise Chuck. The road work on 36 close to town is finished. Damn
they removed a couple more of by beloved turns.
Hop-Sing is offline   Reply With Quote