Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2013, 05:08 AM   #31
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Congrats on the new bike - can't wait for my 2014 TE to arrive, order went in nearly 2 weeks ago and is expected around 3rd week of September due to spoked wheel and alarm options.

Re oil BMW Motorcycle Magazine's Fall 2013 issue has an interesting interview with Jens Staebe (BMW Motorrad Head of Technical Support and Warranty) about some riders reporting separation issues with the clutch (ie the clutch not engaging/disengaging as smoothly as it should). [Paraphrased]: The bike is sensitive to the type and correct level of oil and the only approved oil until further notice is Castrol Power 1 Racing SAE 5W-40 API SL/JASO MA2.

Any chance you could post a large enough version for it to be readable? You can PM or email if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #32
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakepilot View Post

No pricing info as of last week. My deal is based on some discount from whatever MSRP ends up.
Hmm, mine has pricing...
I saw it on the sales manager's computer, and it's on my "order sheet".
sarhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Clearwater,
You are right about the changes from last year. At least in the US, it is very confusing at this point as there is no BMW bike "configurator" or any ordering info available to us, even on the BMW website.

I just listed the codes right out of the copy of the "vehicle inquiry" that my dealer gave me.

I think that Sarhog is right in saying that your bike will have it, but it wouldn't hurt to confirm with your dealer.

My copy also shows #716. "New Model" at the bottom, before Net Total (blank)

No pricing info as of last week. My deal is based on some discount from whatever MSRP ends up.

I too have a pretty good relationship with my dealer, as this is my third GS out of six BMW motorcycles purchased in the last sixteen years at this dealer.
thanks for your post
i spent 1 hour at the computer with my dealer 2 days ago (this past saturday)
there is no such thing as "ENDURO ASC" anywhere...
just "RIDE MODES PRO," which i imagine INCLUDES "ENDURO ASC"

had it not been different for '13 no one would neither know nor care, suppose
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #34
snakepilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Guys,

My info dates back to the 8th. That's the day I placed the order and was given a copy of the dealer status report. The codes that I posted are right out of that sheet of paper.

My dealer is closed today, but I plan to call him tomorrow and get an update. I have been traveling and have not had any communications with him since. When I said no pricing info "as of last week", I should have said as of the 8th. At least in my case...

I'm also planning to drive up (100 miles) to visit this Saturday, as I want to decide about some of the dealer installed "extras".

The bike I am getting is one of the six that he was allocated for initial 2014 production. If I remember right, I think he said the dealers received it on August 1st.

snakepilot screwed with this post 08-19-2013 at 09:43 AM
snakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Any chance you could post a large enough version for it to be readable? You can PM or email if you don't want to post publicly. Thanks!
PM'd

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM   #36
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Quote:
Guys,

My info dates back to the 8th. That's the day I placed the order and was given a copy of the dealer status report. The codes that I posted are right out of that sheet of paper.

My dealer is closed today, but I plan to call him tomorrow and get an update. I have been traveling and have not had any communications with him since. When I said no pricing info "as of last week", I should have said as of the 8th. At least in my case...

I'm also planning to drive up (100 miles) to visit this Saturday, as I want to decide about some of the dealer installed "extras".

The bike I am getting is one of the six that he was allocated for initial 2014 production. If I remember right, I think he said the dealers received it on August 1st.
I guess what I have is something other than a "dealer status report". I have no "codes" on my piece of paper.
Mine is titled, "vehicle inquiry: design/MSRP"
Mine lists a VIN,
a production number,
a status (In Transit To Warehouse),
an actual production date (8/16/13),
model (14RW R 1200 GS US),
priority (3-Priority stock),
assigned to (BMW of P'cola)
Port location (NYCPOA)
trans. flag (T)
Mod block (N)
Special request (normal)

What is your form called?
Old 08-19-2013, 10:56 AM   #37
snakepilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Sarhog,

Yes, that's the same report that I got a copy of on the 8th.
Vehicle Inquiry: Design/MSRP

On that date mine shows Status 112: "scheduled for daily production pack"

It has no pricing, serial number etc. Dealer told me a serial number and other info would be available soon. I expect that he should have it when I call him tomorrow.

By codes I meant Options, such as:
ZTG: Technology Package
233: Touring Package
650: Enduro ASC

But, really, who cares! BMW can call it whatever they want. Just so we all end up with the bike WE want!
snakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #38
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Quote:
Sarhog,

Yes, that's the same report that I got a copy of on the 8th.
Vehicle Inquiry: Design/MSRP

On that date mine shows Status 112: "scheduled for daily production pack"

It has no pricing, serial number etc. Dealer told me a serial number and other info would be available soon. I expect that he should have it when I call him tomorrow.

By codes I meant Options, such as:
ZTG: Technology Package
233: Touring Package
650: Enduro ASC

But, really, who cares! BMW can call it whatever they want. Just so we all end up with the bike WE want!
Ok, I think I got it now. I guess (based on my sheet) that once the status changes to "in transit", they don't use the 110, 112, etc codes.
I suppose your price will show up when you get a VIN.
Here's to a short wait!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #39
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Quote:
I have a deposit on one of the first 2014s allocated to my dealer, too. They're saying I can expect it early October - which kind of makes sense if it's part of the first run and then takes about six weeks to make it to the dealer.

Can't wait for it to arrive though. I sold my bike and riding my wife's old bike - a 2005 F650GS (single). Man that thing is a different world. Coming from a Tiger 800 it's like going from an Audi Q5 to a 1980s Lada Niva ... going from there to the 2014 GS will be like going to a modern day BMW X5 Diesel (Diesel to account for the slightly rough-around-the-edges boxer) I guess ...
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #40
IndyTiger800
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
It would be interesting to see how many have sold their Tiger 800 and going to the 1200GSW.
That's what I'm doing. Mine will be here the first part of November.
Everything except factory alarm.
IndyTiger800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #41
duffs
It's been useful

Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearwaterBMW View Post
thanks for your post
i spent 1 hour at the computer with my dealer 2 days ago (this past saturday)
there is no such thing as "ENDURO ASC" anywhere...
just "RIDE MODES PRO," which i imagine INCLUDES "ENDURO ASC"

had it not been different for '13 no one would neither know nor care, suppose
Greg - for 2013 models you had to specify the ASC + Riding Modes (all 5) as part of an option package. For 2014 the ASC + Road/Rain Riding Modes is now standard equipment on all models. By specifying Ride Modes Pro either as an individual option or part of an option package, this will add Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro modes (and include the dongle).

They've done the right thing in my opinion to allow individual option choices but still retaining the main option packages with combinations many people will want.

Curious why BMW NA didn't do what BMW UK did and offer the TE model which includes all options (except alarm and spoked wheels which are individual options) as a single package, saving several hundred £££. They also offer an Enduro model with the common options people want when off road is more of a priority.

By the way 'Enduro ASC' is just BMW brochure/marketing speak for the ASC + Ride Modes (which in 2013 included the Enduro modes). They probably changed the wording slightly to reflect that the standard ASC no longer includes the Enduro modes.

Blog: Gelände Straßetastic! Facebook Tumblr
Ride reports, photos, tips, experiences, general twaddle
duffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:49 PM   #42
ClearwaterBMW
The Examiner

Oddometer: 5,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffs View Post
Greg - for 2013 models you had to specify the ASC + Riding Modes (all 5) as part of an option package. For 2014 the ASC + Road/Rain Riding Modes is now standard equipment on all models. By specifying Ride Modes Pro either as an individual option or part of an option package, this will add Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro modes (and include the dongle).

They've done the right thing in my opinion to allow individual option choices but still retaining the main option packages with combinations many people will want.

Curious why BMW NA didn't do what BMW UK did and offer the TE model which includes all options (except alarm and spoked wheels which are individual options) as a single package, saving several hundred £££. They also offer an Enduro model with the common options people want when off road is more of a priority.

By the way 'Enduro ASC' is just BMW brochure/marketing speak for the ASC + Ride Modes (which in 2013 included the Enduro modes). They probably changed the wording slightly to reflect that the standard ASC no longer includes the Enduro modes.
i greatly appreciate the clarification. thank you VERY much
all is understood now.
Live life like you mean it... but take your family and friends (and DOGS) along for the "ride"
ClearwaterBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 08:53 AM   #43
sarhog OP
Ride far...

Stopped by the dealership yesterday, the sales manager said that my bike is on the boat and the boat is underway.
He is estimating 4 weeks now, vs the 6-8 weeks that he told me Saturday.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #44
Phaedrus469
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My bikes birthday!

According to my dealer, my 2014 GS is schedule to roll down the assembly line today at some point. He said 4ish weeks from today for delivery.

Trading in my F800R, which was a great bike to re-introduce my to riding after a 4 year hiatus. Bike was perfect for my daily commute, but job has changed so not commuting anymore and wanted a bike for my wife and I to take weekend getaway rides on. Would have liked the new RT, but I've never had a GS before (this will be my 8th BMW) and figured why not try one now and get the WC RT in a couple of years.

Very excited!
Phaedrus469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #45
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,473
Oil!

Remember..wet clutch..so motorcycle specific oil, none of your Rotella for diesels anymore.
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote