ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Rockies
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Ultimate Utah Adventure Route (UUAR) The UTBDR and a Whole Lot More -- Tracks

The Ultimate Utah Adventure Route (UUAR) uses some of the UTBDR, all sorts of OHV trail, MC Single track trail, forest roads, blm roads, and formerly submerged mining roads to create an amazing loop route around Utah. This route will take you a few steps further off even the road less traveled .

It's a great option for folks from out of the area that will have to truck in their bikes, and would like to ride from, and return to a central location.

For a general overview of what the route has to offer, check out our Ride Report here: Ultimate Utah Adventure Route (UUAR) – The UTBDR and a Whole Lot More

The GPX track file contains the tracks that we created to follow during the original ride, as well as the actual track log files from the ride (labeled Data Day __ ). There are a ton of waypoints marking typical Gas, Food, Lodging, as well as, camping spots, OHV trail numbers (at their junctions), geological stuff, etc. I tried to label the OHV trail waypoints to identify the trail number, and type (Jeep trail, Atv Trail, MC Single Track). Feel free to pm me if you have any questions about the track data.

Here is a teaser video from the ride:

Download tracks here: UUAR Tracks Cleaned.GPX

Jordan

jglow screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 11:54 AM
jglow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
justlookin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
Looks great

Thanks for the tracks - really have enjoyed riding Utah and will try these next time I go.
justlookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Squeaks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Thanks for posting tracks. Will use on my next vacation.
Old 08-19-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
JBIII
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Tracks

Great job on the RR and tracks, this is on the 2014 must do list!
JBIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
OLEARY
Enlightened Voyager

Oddometer: 2,432
Thanks for the tracks jglow. Probably not going to make it out this year yet but you never know. That was one awesome ride Man! You are to be commended for all of the research and having absolutely no fear to take on such an adventure.
Not to mention your willingness to share your tracks with the rest of us. Take care. Hope to meet you one day and hook up and ride some of the trails in the Ouachita Mtns. Take care.
Colorado/Moab 2012
Occasionally the tree of Liberty must be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants.
OLEARY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #6
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Great ride thanks for the tracks. We have ridden the southern portion of this several times in the past few years.

I see you made the connection between Red Canyon and Blue Notch road. We are planning that for the first time next month. Any bad problems in that area besides your waypoints info?

Edit: I checked out your RR and it had all the info I wanted and more. Great job.

I have heard there is a hard to find turn. There is lots of sand. I assume water levels weren't a problem this year.

I have a couple of tracks. I will compare yours to what I have.

Another great ride off of Red Canyon is Piute Pass. It goes over the ridge and comes out on 95 at about Jacob's Chair. I have posted tracks on dualsportmaps.com. In looking closer at your tracks I see you have waypoints for the Piute Pass area, so you obviously know about it already.

wbbnm screwed with this post 08-25-2013 at 03:40 PM
wbbnm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 AM   #7
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
time of year?

Question for the locals from a clueless Canadian: How late in the year, or how early in the year can I ride this route?
I don't mind camping in weather down to -10 degrees C

Thanks
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
bilmunson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by svensmanager View Post
Question for the locals from a clueless Canadian: How late in the year, or how early in the year can I ride this route?

Thanks
I go to :
http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/tor...eather/2197753
and look at the monthly historicals for the highest and lowest elevation city near the ride.
bilmunson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #9
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svensmanager View Post

Thanks
Generally the earliest everything will be passable (snow melted) is mid July, and I would say the latest would be probably the end of October? This will vary depending on how much snow fell over the winter, and how early the snow comes in October. Several places along the route (Skyline Dr, Misc. Mountain passes etc...) are above 10,000ft. I think overall mid-September through early October would be the best time. Low average rainfall, pleasant daytime temps, and cool/cold at night .

jordan
Old 09-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
naotweed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Thanks for the help
naotweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
zekester63
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 481
Jordan, Thanks for posting your tracks and the RR in the other thread. Great stuff. A couple buddies and I are in the planning phase now for next summer, and we're trying to decide where we want to go. We've been considering a portion of the TAT (we only have a week to ride), the CDR, COBDR, UTBDR or a combination/hybrid of several of these. I'm thinking we'll do a big loop from NM, as that's where one of the guys lives. Your tracks with all of the waypoints and markings really provide great recon for us.

A while back I had also read your RRs on your 2-up trip to AK on your V-Strom (which I recently also purchased, and fortunately my wife loves to ride with me), and also your TAT adventure. Great stuff.

Happy Riding!
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #12
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Jordan,
Thanks for the detailed tracks and awesome RR - really enjoyed it and I'm happy to have a route that's more adventurous for smaller DS motos. We'll be doing this in 2014. Couple questions:

1. Can you elaborate on the green, red and blue alternate routes - why they may be better/worse, difficulty level, etc.?

2. Is there a route to circumnavigate the higher elevations where there may be snow issues between June and July when I prefer to do this trip.

3. We'll be trailering up from Venice CA. Salina/I70 looks like the closest junction to your trail. Think that's a safe place to leave the rig for the week?

4. If you had a choice between a 690E or 450EXC which wuold you take?

Thanks!

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 AM   #13
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Jordan,
Thanks for the detailed tracks and awesome RR - really enjoyed it and I'm happy to have a route that's more adventurous for smaller DS motos. We'll be doing this in 2014. Couple questions:

1. Can you elaborate on the green, red and blue alternate routes - why they may be better/worse, difficulty level, etc.?

2. Is there a route to circumnavigate the higher elevations where there may be snow issues between June and July when I prefer to do this trip.

3. We'll be trailering up from Venice CA. Salina/I70 looks like the closest junction to your trail. Think that's a safe place to leave the rig for the week?

4. If you had a choice between a 690E or 450EXC which wuold you take?

Thanks!

Hey r'elise me, thanks for your interest in the route and the kind words about the Ride Report. Let's see if I can answer your questions.

1. About the different route options: So, yes, in a few areas I had pre-routed some alternates, all for different reasons I'm sure. So let's go through them one by one. Since you said you were thinking of starting in Salina, let's start there and follow the counter-clockwise (heading South out of Salina). Track 5A junctions with Track 5B and there is a finger of 5A that continues South and brings you into and back out of the town of Loa, UT - this is just for fuel. They also had a nice little pizza joint in the town. Back on Track 5B, it will bring you through the Capital Reef area, and then crosses over Hwy 24, and continues South then East over the Henry Mountains. The alternate here is when you hit Hwy 24, you can head East to Hanksville to pick-up Track 5C and bypass the Henry Mountains - may be necessary early in the season due to snow - I think the pass was up around 11K-12K? Either way, you will ultimately end up on track 5C - heading down Poison Springs Wash, the Dirty Devil River Crossing, and the Glen Canyon Nat'l Rec Area. Remember, we were not able to make the Dirty Devil River Crossing due to High Water levels, so we back tracked back out and had to slab it on Hwy 95 Down to Hite. Just South of Hite, we have a few different Track options. The reason for the alternates here is because I was not sure if the route through Lake Powell would actually connect (Track 6A - Blue Notch to Red Canyon). The route did connect, and it was Epic. However, if heavy rain has just come, or is imminent it may be best to by-pass 6A for Track 6A(alt), due to possibility of quick sand in the wash. The small track labeled "Bail Blue Notch" was a Track to use to get from Track 6A to 6A(alt). Just below Natural Bridges, 6A and 6A(alt) merge, and you follow 6A down to Mexican Hat for fuel, before heading back out and through the Valley of the Gods, then back up the Moki Dugway to pick-up Snow Flats Rd. No alternates here... I just wanted to clarify why the tracks over lap and backtrack a bit. There is not another alternate until you get North of Monticello. This is actually part of the Utah Backcountry Discovery Route(UTBDR) and the split here is due to difficulty of route. The easier route is to continue to follow Track 1A and the more difficult route is the track 1A EXP(expert). If snow again is a concern, then the 1A Exp route will be your option to bypass the LaSal Mountains here (although you will clip them again while leaving Moab). The only other planned alternate Track I had was just North of Salina. There is a "Bypass Salina" Track that bypasses Salina . Obviously you will be heading back into Salina, but for others, it is an option to take if gas is not needed until further South in Loa.

2. I mentioned above some of the Alternate Tracks that would be good to follow to avoid snow in some of the areas, but there is no full route that I have that will avoid all the higher elevations. Truth be told, most of the North half of the route would have to be avoided if too early in the season. Most of the Strawberry OHV and Arapeen OHV are in the higher elevations. I would suggest pushing the trip as late into July as possible - just to minimize the need for re-routing.

3. I agree, and think that Salina, UT would be a good place to pick up the trail. On past trips, we have had good luck with paying a small fee to keep the truck/trailer locked up at a self storage place.

4. On bike selection... I would say that it definitely depends on your riding ability and comfort level on each of your bikes. Some of the route is deep sand, and some is mountainous single track, but also some fast flat gravel sections. Also, keep in mind the added weight of the gear you may be carrying. I think smaller is better, but the entire route is about 1300 miles, so maintanance intervals may be a concern on the 450exc - I'm not super familiar with the bike .

So I hope that helps without adding more confusion . Please be sure to post a link to your Ride Report if you follow this route in the summer - I'd love to see it.

Jordan

Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,289
Jordan,

There are a lot more options with many single tracks you may want to look in northern Utah on the Great Western Trail. See this post for details.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920759
Attached Files
File Type: gpx GWT Filt[.gpx (1.20 MB, 60 views)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #15
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Thumb

Thanks very much, Jordan. Great info and I appreciate your level of detail. Sounds like I need to cut the route so I avoid the north if I head up early July or wait until September (no time in late Jul or Aug).

I'd like to avoid the section where you traversed the soft slope on a very narrow single track as that looked pretty dicey. Which track number is that?

I'll likely take the EXC unless I ride out from LA. I can do some pretty advanced stuff on the 690E, but I like the weight advantage and sand handling on the exc. It can handle the mileage without an oil service. I may bring enough oil to swap out half a case. The bigger issue will be tire wear I think. I usually get about 1000 mi on the rear if I'm easy on it but that's not a DOT (Motoz). Maybe if I run a DOT it'll make it?

What was your max fuel range?

Thanks again!

13 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is online now   Reply With Quote