Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
yooperbikemike OP
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,362
MotoGP: Northamptonshire (Spoilers, chaps)

2013 Silverstone MotoGP Preview: Of Home Winners, Historic Domination, And Stopping A Rookie

Much like voting in Chicago, click on the link early and often.

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Time for a wet race to shake things up a bit.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:43 AM   #3
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,760
Rossi for the win!

(ok, dreaming for the old fella... I think Marquez just might spank them all again)

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
Rossi for the win!

(ok, dreaming for the old fella... I think Marquez just might spank them all again)
+1 on all that.

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
mdubya
Right Brigade

Oddometer: 7,201
Rossi says, "we need to improve, and soon."

http://www.gpone.com/en/201308281125...in-fretta.html

Crutchlow tweeted to Jorge that he had been spied eating at a McDonalds. Jorge replied that after the Brno test McDonalds was all Yamaha could afford.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubya View Post
Rossi says, "we need to improve, and soon."

http://www.gpone.com/en/201308281125...in-fretta.html

Crutchlow tweeted to Jorge that he had been spied eating at a McDonalds. Jorge replied that after the Brno test McDonalds was all Yamaha could afford.
At the post-race presser in Indy Jorge was asked by one of the Spanish journos (in English) if he thought the apparent performance deficit to Honda would urge Yamaha into introducing their seamless gearbox. Jorge said, smiling a bit enigmatically, that he didn't think results were going to influence Yamaha's timetable. I wasn't, and still am not, hip enough to the context to know how much of a dig at Yamaha that was, if at all.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyMushman View Post
At the post-race presser in Indy Jorge was asked by one of the Spanish journos (in English) if he thought the apparent performance deficit to Honda would urge Yamaha into introducing their seamless gearbox. Jorge said, smiling a bit enigmatically, that he didn't think results were going to influence Yamaha's timetable. I wasn't, and still am not, hip enough to the context to know how much of a dig at Yamaha that was, if at all.
It is interesting how Vale doesn't have the pull he once had. 8 - 10 years ago he would have said "fix the bike or I will go back to Honda" and they would fix the bike.

Now he has to be more diplomatic. Can you imagine that Rossi is complaining about how the bike works on the brakes and Yamaha's answer is to ride more like Jorge? I bet Vale and Spies exchange some interesting texts.

On the other hand, Yamaha has dominated for 10 years. 7 out of 10 Championships. It is inevitable that Honda has to have a good year or two. And now they have the new "golden boy".

And management has flipped. Yamaha had Furusawa. He knew how to make it happen. Now Honda has Nakamoto and he gets things done.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
xltrider
Seasoned Adventurer

Oddometer: 425
If it rains, I give Lorenzo a "chance" for the win. Until Yamaha equates the Honda being better because of the seamless gearbox AND Marques's dominance, the will beat them in the dry. It's Yamaha bringing a knife to a gunfight until then.
2012 Suzuki DL1000
xltrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #9
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by xltrider View Post
If it rains, I give Lorenzo a "chance" for the win. Until Yamaha equates the Honda being better because of the seamless gearbox AND Marques's dominance, the will beat them in the dry. It's Yamaha bringing a knife to a gunfight until then.
The seamless gearbox alone won't change the game. It may help, though.

Marquez says Lorenzo is the favorite this weekend. Lorenzo says he is still not 100% fit. Lots of subtle mind games going on. As it should be.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,101
Quote:
It is interesting how Vale doesn't have the pull he once had. 8 - 10 years ago he would have said "fix the bike or I will go back to Honda" and they would fix the bike.

Now he has to be more diplomatic. Can you imagine that Rossi is complaining about how the bike works on the brakes and Yamaha's answer is to ride more like Jorge? I bet Vale and Spies exchange some interesting texts.

On the other hand, Yamaha has dominated for 10 years. 7 out of 10 Championships. It is inevitable that Honda has to have a good year or two. And now they have the new "golden boy".

And management has flipped. Yamaha had Furusawa. He knew how to make it happen. Now Honda has Nakamoto and he gets things done.
The rules are different now though. They can't exactly throw an updated engine in whenever they want and power seems to be their biggest problem. If I hear Nick Harris ask JLo or VR about when the seamless gearbox will be available again I'll puke.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,403
I'm going with Cal for the win,
Vale second and then a horde of Spaniards.

I will try and get Alvaro to aim carefully on the first corner, someones go to give the old guard a fighting chance! Is Alvaro a Basque by any chance?

Random thought of the week, the Yamaha and Hondas' corner differently and I wonder if that gives them a better passing opportunity? Watching Cal a few weeks back trying to pass Jorge I was struck by how few opportunities he had but when it's a Honda to pass (or vice versa) there seems to be more room to move.
I also wonder if that is some of Danis' problem (when he catches Mark) as well, if the only cornering opportunity means following the tyres of the guy you are trying to pass there isn't a lot to play with.

It's summer in England, the beers warm and the rain will come, is Bootlace over there now, he was at the Isle of Mann earlier?
Old 08-29-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis management View Post
I'm going with Cal for the win,
Vale second and then a horde of Spaniards.
I'll go for that.

Quote:
Random thought of the week, the Yamaha and Hondas' corner differently and I wonder if that gives them a better passing opportunity? Watching Cal a few weeks back trying to pass Jorge I was struck by how few opportunities he had but when it's a Honda to pass (or vice versa) there seems to be more room to move.
From Jorge's mouth

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-de...o&newsid=10267
Old 08-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
The rules are different now though. They can't exactly throw an updated engine in whenever they want and power seems to be their biggest problem. If I hear Nick Harris ask JLo or VR about when the seamless gearbox will be available again I'll puke.
They can fix the chassis so they can brake deeper, something Spies complained about last year and Rossi and Jorge are both complaining about now.

I believe the motor has an abundance of power (could be wrong). Is it possible they could tweak the engine management software for more acceleration? I would say it is the fuel limit holding them back from upping the power. Maybe reliability, too.

Honda wrote those rules. Yamaha agreed.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #14
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Fuck, I'm a genius!

I've clearly peaked for the day, time to have a lie down.
Old 08-29-2013, 05:56 PM   #15
mdubya
Right Brigade

Quote:
Fuck, I'm a genius!

I've clearly peaked for the day, time to have a lie down.