User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2013, 04:48 AM   #1
rh2yadv OP
Ow!

Oddometer: 45
950 clutch slave o-rings?

My 950 ADV's clutch slave is leaking. I pulled the slave apart, and the cylinder looks fine, but the o ring on the piston itself fits loosely, so I am guessing that's the source of my problem.

I attempted to order a new one from the local dealer, but instead I got the dust seal o ring that seals the slave to the sprocket guard.

Anybody have a part number or suitable replacement spec for the o ring that goes on the piston? It didnt show up in dealer's fiche. Thanks!

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #2
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh2yadv View Post
My 950 ADV's clutch slave is leaking. I pulled the slave apart, and the cylinder looks fine, but the o ring on the piston itself fits loosely, so I am guessing that's the source of my problem.

I attempted to order a new one from the local dealer, but instead I got the dust seal o ring that seals the slave to the sprocket guard.

Anybody have a part number or suitable replacement spec for the o ring that goes on the piston? It didnt show up in dealer's fiche. Thanks!

A friend sent me some of these for my 2007 990 ADV.

Looks like they're a -021 in Viton. I'm sending a bunch your way tomorrow.

They work great!

Donnie
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
rh2yadv OP
Ow!

Thanks! So I I just find a place that sells viton o rings, I can tell them I need a -21 and that's the correct size?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #4
dwj - Donnie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,159
Quote:
Thanks! So I I just find a place that sells viton o rings, I can tell them I need a -21 and that's the correct size?
Yes, that is my understanding! I know the o-rings that he sent fit my moto. I hope this helps!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #5
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 400
Its a weak spot

These things fail recurrently, poor design of the piston.

If you can swap it out for an amkt item and then forget about it forever

Oberon and Evoluzione are the most popular. And you can get them in anodized Orange
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
rh2yadv OP
Ow!

Cool, thanks! I'll look into an Evo or Oberon over the winter; right now I'm just trying to get my bike up and running quickly and cheaply so I can finish up the summer.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #7
ICERIDER
Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 401
Yes just fit an Oberon and save all this mess...

ICERIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #8
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Technically, the trade designation is 2-021 for the size and you have to specify Viton...or whatever material you think is the most suitable for the application. Most suppliers will drop the first "2" and simply call it a "-021". Ideally you'll want to find a Parker Hannifin hydraulics outlet or maybe a Grainger store. Otherwise, I ordered mine from McMaster Carr and, for only a few bucks you end up with like 25 O-rings...or maybe it was 50. Either way, they'll last me for the life of the bike. I carry a few O-rings and some clutch fluid.

I have to admit that I machined up a new piston for mine. I felt that the clearances were a little loose on the stock piston. However, that will vary from bike to bike. I also ordered the master cylinder extension from CJ Designs. It adds volume to the clutch fluid and helps to keep the fluid cool. Loosely fitting O-rings are a symptom of excess temperature.

I installed a new o-ring, the tighter piston, and the master cylinder extension a few years ago and haven't had a problem since. No telling which was the fix though.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #9
yellowbronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwj - Donnie View Post
Yes, that is my understanding! I know the o-rings that he sent fit my moto. I hope this helps!
Donnie,
Glad to hear you got the O-rings and that they're working for ya.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
Definitely give the piston a second look and see if it has any cracks. Mine started leaking, and I replaced the seal, to no avail. On inspection the piston was cracked and I had to find a new one. But KTM doesn't sell just the piston anymore, so finding it can be as expensive as getting an aftermarket replacement.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 04:28 AM   #11
rh2yadv OP
Ow!

I'll have to look at the piston under my microscope and see if I see any cracks. If I do, it'll be a toss up between machining a new one or ordering an Oberon or Evo slave. I have a mini lathe but I'm not terribly experienced with it yet.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #12
brooks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
clutch slave oring

Mine left me high and dry on a trip two weeks ago. I had an aftermarket one from KTM twins sent fedex to my destination but i was still at the corner of BFE and you got a purty mouth so in Gunnison I got a oring from carquest for .22 cents. Fitted it and finsished the rest of my 5000 mile trip with no problems! I will put on the aftermarket one and keep my other as a spare.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Cool, thanks! I'll look into an Evo or Oberon over the winter; right now I'm just trying to get my bike up and running quickly and cheaply so I can finish up the summer.
Do yourself a favor and also get a new backer. The stock backer used with a aftermarket slave can cause bi dng because the plastic backer can warp over time. It is loke $70 but a lot less than a new clutch pack!
Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
rh2yadv OP
Ow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Do yourself a favor and also get a new backer. The stock backer used with a aftermarket slave can cause bi dng because the plastic backer can warp over time. It is loke $70 but a lot less than a new clutch pack!
Do you have a link for that? Who makes a good aftermarket one?

THANKS!

Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #15
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Do you have a link for that? Who makes a good aftermarket one?

THANKS!

I got the Oberon. It is $62.00.

I think I got mine from CJ. Here is a link to Dualsport warehouse http://www.dualsportwarehouse.com/OB...LC8-OBE-BP.htm

they carry lots of his stuff too which is cool. Check out his see-through clutch covers, I got one of those a while back (my excuse was to monitor the water-pump failure, but mostly it looks freaking awesome). Tried to link to his site but couldn't find a working link. He is an inmate here and has made some kick-ass stuff the bit katooms. No I am not affilaited with either but have been a very happy customer of both.