ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #1
JLRzr OP
n00b

Oddometer: 8
"Least" Ghetto areas of Riverside or San Bernardino...

I am planning to store one of my bikes at a self storage in either Riverside (preferred) or the San Bernardino areas to facilitate my fly-in riding trips in either the Southern Mojave or the High Desert areas. I always seem to drive through Riverside no matter where I head out for riding. I love both of these towns but don't know them very well... but I do know they both (like most all towns) have some less desirable areas here and there and I would like to avoid those areas when selecting my storage facility.

Any advice on which areas in these 2 towns would put me at less risk to theft or problems?
JLRzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
WallyWhirled
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLRzr View Post
I am planning to store one of my bikes at a self storage in either Riverside (preferred) or the San Bernardino areas to facilitate my fly-in riding trips in either the Southern Mojave or the High Desert areas. I always seem to drive through Riverside no matter where I head out for riding. I love both of these towns but don't know them very well... but I do know they both (like most all towns) have some less desirable areas here and there and I would like to avoid those areas when selecting my storage facility.

Any advice on which areas in these 2 towns would put me at less risk to theft or problems?
There's a very secure looking, very convenient self-storage facility in Rancho Cucamonga. It's tucked behind the interstate fences along I-15 near the 210. Only one way in and seems to be surrounded by moats. Probably crocodile infested moats.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ra...6a7aad82f2f34b

WallyWhirled screwed with this post 02-10-2015 at 09:00 AM
WallyWhirled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:15 AM   #3
JLRzr OP
n00b

COOL!

I am planning to disconnect some connectors, drain the gas, have the driver padlock the rear rotor, and pull the previously loosened front axel out and fedex back to me in PA... but moats are good too.

I will check it out.
Old 02-10-2015, 02:46 PM   #4
Dangerish
I fall a lot

Oddometer: 154
If you are storing in San Bernardino, the farther north the better. Otherwise, look east to the Highland/Redlands area. Some good riding in the hills above there.
Dangerish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #5
o*o
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
How long to you intend to leave it?

Los Angeles International Airport, LAX, allows 'secure' motorcycle parking for free when you park where cars do not fit. I left a bike there for 4 months on one trip. When I flew back, removed my ratty cover, unlocked my helmet I rode off for free. I think they have video monitors? If so, park in clear view of one. I would not leave a bike longer than this. LAX also offers the best airfare in the region.

I have 5 decades of experience in San Bernardino mountains but have no particular recommendation about neighborhood. I've found with international experience the specific space rather than neighborhood is more important. The worst neighborhood with an honest storage facility may be safer than Beverly Hills. A place where the owner does not market the location for fancy motorcycle storage may be preferable?

If my home in the SB mountains had not burned to the ground last May, you could have parked there.

Best of luck for an economical safe solution!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
YellowjacketD37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
My dad says there are some storage places in West Fontana on Foothill Blvd. He says you should check to make sure there is a 24 hour attendant.

That would be closer to San Bernardino than Rancho Cucamonga, and right by the 15. Just go up and over the hill to the desert.
YellowjacketD37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #7
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,319
There are several well run storage facilities just off the freeway in downtown Riverside, lots of people store tons of high dollar sand toys, RVs, and boats there. Check Yelp.

As you pointed out, Riverside is on the way to lots of fun places.
Desert, river, mountains, beaches, all within a few hours.

PS I'm sorry, yanking the front axle and mailing it to PA is just plain crazy.
What kind of bike are we talking about here anyway?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #8
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 2,070
In SB Rancho Cucamonga and in Riverside I would go with Corona.
craigincali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:04 PM   #9
JLRzr OP
n00b

You folks are great, I just wanted to say Thanks for the advice. After all considerations, I settled on a space that is pretty near the hotel we always stay at. The bike is there now and waiting for me to arrive. If any of you are up for a off-road ride March 10-12 (any one or more of those days) please let me know. I'd like to hit the Johnson Valley area somewhere. It will just be my brother-in-law and me.