ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 05:38 PM   #1
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Best route to tour thru the Grand Canyon on a streetbike?

Hello guyz,

I am going to be traveling thru the states in septembre(Montreal to Denver to Portland to SF to LA to SanDiego: then eastbound) on my faux-adv bike and was wondering wich route would be the best to travel thru the grand Canyon.

Going to be traveling easbound overall but a detour dont bether me none as long as the ride doesnt loop^back to the starting point. I could manage a few dirt roads, as a way to get to a cool spot for the views or a camp spot. Ill have decent ground clearance on the Versys but will be on street tires so I I have to keep it mild.

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Tripletreat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 545
jfman, you may have a misconception of the Grand Canyon. You cannot, as far as I know, travel "through" the Grand Canyon unless you are on a raft. The best you can do is ride to one of the rims and enjoy the magnificent views. Personally, I prefer accessing the north rim, but you really can't make a bad choice if you've never seen the Canyon before. It'll take your breath away.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank tripletreat: I meant the Grand Canyon area.

2012 Versys 1000
Old 08-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,401
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906554

maybe this will help

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Oddometer: 3,273
After the Grand Canyon..Go out to Tuba City (near 89 and 160 junction) and pick up Rte 264 east to 191 and go north to Chinle. Visit Canyon de Chelly. There's a campground there right near the park entrance. If you have time, take the guided trip down into the canyon itself. If not..check out the visitor center then ride around the north rim on Indian Rt 64 over to Indian Rt 12.. then North up to Lukachakai. At Lukachakai, take Indian Rt 13 over to Shiprock, New Mexico.

All those routes are paved, but definitely the "road less traveled". Canyon de Chelly is very interesting, and Indian Rt 13 is really scenic, going through a narrow red rock canyon up and over a ridge to some good views of Western New Mexico.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Hello guyz,

I am going to be traveling thru the states in septembre(Montreal to Denver to Portland to SF to LA to SanDiego: then eastbound) on my faux-adv bike and was wondering wich route would be the best to travel thru the grand Canyon.

2014 Fitness Goal: hike 1200 miles. DONE! Now +106
dyvking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank a bunch for this

2012 Versys 1000
Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyvking View Post
After the Grand Canyon..Go out to Tuba City (near 89 and 160 junction) and pick up Rte 264 east to 191 and go north to Chinle. Visit Canyon de Chelly. There's a campground there right near the park entrance. If you have time, take the guided trip down into the canyon itself. If not..check out the visitor center then ride around the north rim on Indian Rt 64 over to Indian Rt 12.. then North up to Lukachakai. At Lukachakai, take Indian Rt 13 over to Shiprock, New Mexico.

All those routes are paved, but definitely the "road less traveled". Canyon de Chelly is very interesting, and Indian Rt 13 is really scenic, going through a narrow red rock canyon up and over a ridge to some good views of Western New Mexico.
This. But don't tell everyone please.

South rim is a drive by, north rim can be a double back to your start.
South rim is perhaps more easily accessible.

Campground at Canyon De Chelly is Cottonwood, most every camp is called Cottonwood!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #8
DerViking
Shred

Oddometer: 311
East Rim Drive of Grand Canyon South Rim. From North 89 at Cameron, runs West to the park, then along the rim for 25 miles. My favorite view is from Navajo Point. Unless you wanna hike, you can leave your bike unlocked, most of the points are just a few parking places along the rim. Just East of Grandview Point is a Forest road running South. If you can make it 400 yards you're legal to camp. The climb from Cameron up out of the Painted Desert is great.

South Rim Village sucks, I think, no where to park a Moto safely. From the Village, you can run South to Williams, or down 180 to Flagstaff. 180 is pretty, with a few nice corners. If you are looping North from Flagstaff to get to the Canyon, go through Sunset Crater and Wupatki National Monuments. Best pavement we have around here, nice views, and really interesting Native ruins.

Both of these in a day might be rushed. About 180 miles round trip from Flag just to do the South Rim (worked up there, never want to do that commute again).

Enjoy, and don't shop and Flag Motorsports unless you are totally without other options.....
Old 08-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Hello guyz,

I am going to be traveling thru the states in septembre(Montreal to Denver to Portland to SF to LA to SanDiego: then eastbound)
Give a shout when you get started. Maybe some of us can hook up for parts of your ride.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Give a shout when you get started. Maybe some of us can hook up for parts of your ride.
That would be awesome! I am on a tight traveling schedule however as I only have 3 weeks and I also plan to stop in SF an LA to visit a bit.

If some of you guyz want to tag along, LMK and I will let you know when I am rolling thru the part to the trip you are interested. Forewaring: Lot of miles each day and The pace will be sporty on the good roads. And Ill be a fair weather camper. If it rains I check into a hotel more than likely.

Just bought a Spot so I'ill try to get a map up on the site whn I can.

2012 Versys 1000
Old 08-26-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Nothing is set in stone but it looks like I would be coming in from Durango Colorado.

Once in the north rim, I would need to find a way thru out and west. I am very open to suggestions. Where would you go from here?

Agrandir le plan

Click here to see the colorado leg of the trip: http://goo.gl/maps/MqMq9

Sorry dunno how to delete this below.. ignore

2012 Versys 1000

jfman screwed with this post 08-26-2013 at 09:34 PM
Old 08-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #12
dyvking
ahead of his flamin star

Quote:
Nothing is set in stone but it looks like I would be
So you're going to do Grand Cyn on your way Westbound rather than Eastbound?

One direction or the other you should probably try to fit Monument Valley in the mix. Worth a ride-through at least. You can see lots from the paved routs.

The north rim entrance to Grand Cyn is an "in and out" if you want to stay on pavement. So you'll have to double back on route 67 to 89A. So you might as well go through Zion Nat'l park.

If you are going to SF first.. then head up to Cedar City, Utah after Zion. Then go West over through Tonopah, Nv. via the "Extraterrestrial highway". You'll get a good taste of Nevada desert. You'll go through the town of Caliente, Nv. BUY GAS. Next gas will be in Tonopah, 190 miles away (there are a couple of possible resources if you can't make 190 miles on a tank). Once out of Tonopah, go up to the town of Lee Vining at Mono Lake. Several choices of places to stay/camp in the area, including Benton Hot Springs at the intersection of Hwy 6 and 120, just East of Lee Vining.

We have a huge fire burning in the Yosemite area. It may dictate whether you ride through the park or not. If you can't go over Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) and through Yosemite.. then go North to pick up either Hwy 108 or Hwy 4 to cross the Sierra. Either will be great riding. Thence across California's Great Central Valley to the Frisco area.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
So you're going to do Grand Cyn on your way Westbound rather than Eastbound?
I was gonn ago thru this eastward after visiting the west coast but I think this is the best way for me to plan my trip. I dont want to miss the Canyon if I get unexpected delays on other parts of the trip. I only have 23 days off and I got back surgery done in January so donnu how my body is gonna cope.

Quote:

One direction or the other you should probably try to fit Monument Valley in the mix. Worth a ride-through at least. You can see lots from the paved routs.
Wich route/road is this?

Quote:

The north rim entrance to Grand Cyn is an "in and out" if you want to stay on pavement. So you'll have to double back on route 67 to 89A. So you might as well go through Zion Nat'l park.
I would not mind some dirt roads. Feel free to propose alternative routes.

Quote:

If you are going to SF first.. then head up to Cedar City, Utah after Zion. Then go West over through Tonopah, Nv. via the "Extraterrestrial highway". You'll get a good taste of Nevada desert. You'll go through the town of Caliente, Nv. BUY GAS. Next gas will be in Tonopah, 190 miles away (there are a couple of possible resources if you can't make 190 miles on a tank). Once out of Tonopah, go up to the town of Lee Vining at Mono Lake. Several choices of places to stay/camp in the area, including Benton Hot Springs at the intersection of Hwy 6 and 120, just East of Lee Vining.
Another way I had planned leaving Colorado was to head North thru utha and ride these roads (hells canyon and others) LINK: http://goo.gl/maps/FEQAC

but I think I may not have the time to circle back down San Diego and still ride the canyon on my way back to Canada

Quote:

We have a huge fire burning in the Yosemite area. It may dictate whether you ride through the park or not. If you can't go over Tioga Pass (Hwy 120) and through Yosemite.. then go North to pick up either Hwy 108 or Hwy 4 to cross the Sierra. Either will be great riding. Thence across California's Great Central Valley to the Frisco area.
I dont know how/if I can incorporate this into my route??? I have never been to the west coast so I wanna ride the pacific coast as well. I needed 6 weeks off ans 4 more Gs in the bank

So here below is the route I have planned for now.

I planned them using tips I got from message boards and traveling websites.

Montreal to Durango Colorado
http://goo.gl/maps/jwswk

Durango to San Diego

http://goo.gl/maps/49eUj

San Diego to San Francisco

http://goo.gl/maps/aFZW3

Then this route Northward out of Frsico

http://goo.gl/maps/J6QGp
Comments?

2012 Versys 1000

jfman screwed with this post 08-28-2013 at 05:40 PM
Old 08-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
RocknTroll
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:

Then this route Northward out of Frsico

http://goo.gl/maps/J6QGp
Comments?
I'd think of taking 3 from 36 to Fort Jones, not a whole lot of services in that area, unless your set on seeing Red Bluff, Redding and Hoopa.

"Stay smart. Don't put your stupid hat on at this point in time... " Gov. Pat McCrory
RocknTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 02:16 PM   #15
jfman OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocknTroll View Post
I'd think of taking 3 from 36 to Fort Jones, not a whole lot of services in that area, unless your set on seeing Red Bluff, Redding and Hoopa.

I dont mind the lack if services unless I am running out of fuel but i will consier cuting thru ther to save some time if I am pressed.

2012 Versys 1000