ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Oddometer: 1,718
Robbinsville NC Help.

Hey How you doing...

Short notice but looking for some help (guide) in Robbinsville tomorrow (yeah I know.)

Anyway, trying to connect Robbinsville to Andrews via 1115 (Little Snowbird) and 1388 (Beaver Creek). First attempt ended with a somewhat technical climb (for a well suspended KLR, 2 UP) in a small clearing on top of a hill (Had a Survey Benchmark and a Bearing tree... didn't write down the grid.) Lots of red paint in the center of the clearing...we named the hill, Mount Rapemore. There was one trail with an open gate to the north if this helps.

Anyway, if you can help out hit me back... all input welcome.
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:11 PM   #2
mxcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
Hey How you doing...

Short notice but looking for some help (guide) in Robbinsville tomorrow (yeah I know.)

Anyway, trying to connect Robbinsville to Andrews via 1115 (Little Snowbird) and 1388 (Beaver Creek). First attempt ended with a somewhat technical climb (for a well suspended KLR, 2 UP) in a small clearing on top of a hill (Had a Survey Benchmark and a Bearing tree... didn't write down the grid.) Lots of red paint in the center of the clearing...we named the hill, Mount Rapemore. There was one trail with an open gate to the north if this helps.

Here's some coords that may help you find the road off of Little Snowbird. N35 14.026 W083 56.112. If you can come up with a National Geographic Topo map #784 , Fontana & Hiwassee Lakes it will show the road that you need as USFS #304. That red paint on the trees is the property boundary between USFS and private land.. I'm gonna ride thru there,, but it will probably be Sunday. Hope this helps.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,265
From 129/74/19 in Andrews, turn onto Beaver Creek road...Ride this road to the dead-end, then turn around, turn into the driveway of the first house on the left, go between the house and wood-shed/barn. or whatever you'd call it.

This road isn't on Google maps, but I PROMISE this road connects to Little Snowbird...I've had this argument a few times.

This IS the FINEST dirtroad I have EVER ridden....FANTASTIC !!!!!!

This road has a name, but I damn sure can't remember it......sorry.

If you're coming from Little Snowbird you have to turn left across the bridge into someones driveway, or so it seems....then follow it around.

You'll ride through a narrow gap in the mountain, JUST wide enough for a truck, very rocky....if you find this then you're on the right road.

The road has one sign notating it's name, and it's just prior to the narrow gap....I've looked and looked on-line and have NEVER found this road named, or even lined out as a road on any map source.

This IS NOT an easy road to find. Maybe this helps...It's worth the search...I PROMISE.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250

Al Goodwin screwed with this post 08-20-2013 at 10:11 PM
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Once you find it, and ride it...You'll never go near it again without riding it....it's that good.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

OK....MapQuest actually shows this road going over halfway to Lillte Snowbird, shows it deadending....it doesn't. Once you're on the road there are no other roads crossing, so no chance of getting lost.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 08-21-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Thanks AG !
Old 08-21-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
augiedog
augie dog

Oddometer: 737
beaver creek connector

the road you are lookin for is part of the old trail of tears route. it is closed on the andrews side at the start but you can access it futher up the mountian as previously stated by turning up the gravel road between the house and woodshed. you will eventually come to the bridge and cross under the cherolia skyway and into the joyce cillmar national forest where you will exit onto rt 129 between the lake and robbinsville.
augiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
bergy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Thanks, I rode up to the house with the woodshed and turned around, didnt know if it was a road or driveway. It has a f.s. sign, I cant remember the number and could not find it on the maps. I will have to go back and ride it soon now that i know it goes thru.
bergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #9
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Ok....augiedog is right about the old trail of tears rpad(Tathums Gap Rd.), BUT.......i dont think this is the road youre looking for.....2 different roads here.

The Beaver Creek to Little Snowbird comes out, on the Cherohala just down the mountain from Thunder Mountain store....

So, which road are you wamting? The Beaver Creek to the Cherahala, via Little Snowbird?

Or Tathams Gap, old Trail of Tears?

Tathums Gap is an ok road, but not GREAT. The other road is narrow, MUCH more curvy, and way less traffic....I've only seen 2 trucks on it, having ridden it at least a dozen times...
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Old 08-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
mxcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The Andrews side of Tatham Gap Rd is closed.. You can still go up the Graham County side to the Gap. The USFS closed it because the road had a major slide. Beaver Crk Rd. (USFS Rd#304) is still open.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
wawarides
where's Laura0107?

Oddometer: 1,190
Here's a set of coordinates for the start of the road Al Goodwin is talking about off Beaver Creek Rd. I rode it on my first dual sport ride in the mountains on a DR650 running Death Wings. Wheee! It's great.

N35.22612 W83.84336
Old 08-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #12
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Guys, thanks for the help... EVERYTHING was exactly as describe.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:06 AM   #13
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,962
Snowbird road conditions?
mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #14
ben2go
Moto Flunky

Oddometer: 3,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
Hey How you doing...

Send Vince aka barnone a PM.He can give you some ideas.He has a cabin up there and spends a lot of time riding the area.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #15
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Snowbird road conditions?
A little late sorry... did some things and saw some people.

From the asphalt to the "turn-off" to Andrews.. bladed and slickery. From there to the top of "Mount Rapemore" it's absolute rage-tastic.

AJay