ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #16
BryceB
It's OK we know the Mayor

Oddometer: 297
For anyone curious, there's a thread with a track in gpx format here that fills in the missing sections between Beaver Creek and Little Sonwbird.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851978
"It sure beats working all week, boozing it up in some smoky bar or sitting around watching the world go to Hell in living color and still ending up, just before payday, flat broke as usual. That's only existing, not really living."-Don Marshall, Cycles South, 1971
'08 KLR650 - Blue 21 & '06 Ninja 650R - Galaxy Silver
BryceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #17
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB View Post
For anyone curious, there's a thread with a track in gpx format here that fills in the missing sections between Beaver Creek and Little Sonwbird.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851978
That's my thread and I was able to connect Little Snowbird and Beaver Creek with little trouble. The key is turning down Porterfield Gap Road (35.234317,-83.933993), even though it's marked "Private." From there, stay on the obvious road (it gets rocky, but it's still wide enough for four wheels) and you'll be over the hill and onto Beaver Creek in no time.

I'm heading up there this weekend, so thanks for the earlier post about Tatham Gap still being closed. I found that out the hard way at the end of June.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #18
mxcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
The Porterfield Gap Rd is a private road,, but it's okay to ride it. The USFS 304 Rd actually ends at the gap. The Andrews side of Tatham Gap is officially closed but some riders are using it.. You could get a pretty stiff penalty/ticket if they catch you on it.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
skywayrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
+

I live close to the Tellico river end of Tatum Gap Rd. I rode over there the other night with the intention of riding through. I'm happy to report that after a year of no activity they are now actively working on the rd again. They were still at it near dark so I turned around. The slide area is not too long so I'm guessing it shouldn't be to long till it's open again.
skywayrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #20
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywayrider View Post
+
The slide area is not too long so I'm guessing it shouldn't be to long till it's open again.
It wasn't so much the length of the wash as the 500' depth of the drop that concerns me on the rejuvination project... not that I have by-passed a gate and seen it for myself or anything... I'm just saying ;) A good 5-iron shot off the wash would burn up on re-entry.

PS What are you riding on the "Skyway." I'm up there a fair bit on several different bikes.
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #21
AJay112 OP
Action Figure

Oddometer: 1,724
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxcr View Post
The Porterfield Gap Rd is a private road,, but it's okay to ride it. The USFS 304 Rd actually ends at the gap. The Andrews side of Tatham Gap is officially closed but some riders are using it.. You could get a pretty stiff penalty/ticket if they catch you on it.
I can neither confirm or deny that I used it multiple times (north to south) last week. If I did I would have pulled the plug on the low-beam and been VERY quiet coming down ;) Watch coming around the south gate, it's slickery.
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #22
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
+

I live close to the Tellico river end of Tatum Gap Rd. I rode over there the other night with the intention of riding through. I'm happy to report that after a year of no activity they are now actively working on the rd again. They were still at it near dark so I turned around. The slide area is not too long so I'm guessing it shouldn't be to long till it's open again.
you must be talkin about the road from Tellico to Davis Creek, and to Hanging Dog, Tatum gap is in Andrews and goes to Robbinsville, they aren't working on Tatum gap yet, you can get around the gate on a smaller DS but the big bikes no, I think they are puttin gravel down on the Tellico to Hanging Dog rd
hangingdog hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #23
skywayrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingdog hillbilly View Post
you must be talkin about the road from Tellico to Davis Creek, and to Hanging Dog, Tatum gap is in Andrews and goes to Robbinsville, they aren't working on Tatum gap yet, you can get around the gate on a smaller DS but the big bikes no, I think they are puttin gravel down on the Tellico to Hanging Dog rd
I think you are correct.... I got my "gaps" mixed up. Sorry.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #24
skywayrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
It wasn't so much the length of the wash as the 500' depth of the drop that concerns me on the rejuvination project... not that I have by-passed a gate and seen it for myself or anything... I'm just saying ;) A good 5-iron shot off the wash would burn up on re-entry.

PS What are you riding on the "Skyway." I'm up there a fair bit on several different bikes.
I live near Mile Marker 10 on the Tellico end of the Skyway. Riding a R1100S, R800R or DR650. Give me a bump whe your coming up always ready to ride.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #25
skywayrider
Adventurer

Thanks for the info on the route. I'm going to try it from the Andrews end tomorrow. It (house and shed an rest of the rd.) are pretty clear on Google earth sat. Anyone want to join me? I'm flexible on time.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #26
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the route. I'm going to try it from the Andrews end tomorrow. It (house and shed an rest of the rd.) are pretty clear on Google earth sat. Anyone want to join me? I'm flexible on time.
have an errand to run in the morning, should be back by 11 or so and could go then
Old 08-30-2013, 05:48 AM   #27
skywayrider
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingdog hillbilly View Post
have an errand to run in the morning, should be back by 11 or so and could go then
McDonalds in Andrews at noon. Blu /wht DR.

Greg
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 AM   #28
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Quote:
McDonalds in Andrews at noon. Blu /wht DR.

Greg
see ya there
Old 08-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #29
skywayrider
Adventurer

Wow, just did it today with Hangdog Hillbilly. Easily one of the best dirt roads I've ever ridden and lets just say I've been around awhile. Rockies, Moab, Alaska, AlanCan 5000, Central Am.

Much easier to start from the Andrews end till you know where it comes out but you still feel like your ridding into someones front yard for the first few hundred feet.

Thanks Hangdog Hillbilly.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #30
Troutrider
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,145
Hey HD Hillbilly!

Enjoyed meeting you yesterday. We ended up following your tracks through the construction mess to the top of Tipton Creek. Rode to the top of old Trail #2 and turned around. Dang fleas kept us outta the cabin and we headed home early this morning. See ya on the road.

Troutrider

"Ride like you want to get up and do it again tomorrow"
Troutrider is offline   Reply With Quote