ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 PM   #31
ArmyJoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywayrider View Post
Much easier to start from the Andrews end till you know where it comes out but you still feel like your ridding into someones front yard for the first few hundred feet.
LOL, I rode there just a few hours ago. When I made the right onto the Forest Service Road, there was an old guy chopping wood on the right giving me the stink eye as rode by. Further up the road I saw several sets of bike tracks, but I never saw the riders.

My latest adventures detailed at ArmyJoe's Perpetual Picture Thread:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888783
ArmyJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #32
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutrider View Post
Enjoyed meeting you yesterday. We ended up following your tracks through the construction mess to the top of Tipton Creek. Rode to the top of old Trail #2 and turned around. Dang fleas kept us outta the cabin and we headed home early this morning. See ya on the road.

Troutrider
nice running into you also, and thanks for the brew, and you too skywayrider, you some nice fellers
hangingdog hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #33
RichardD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
?

Is this ride o.k. on a 650 V-Strom ?
RichardD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:31 PM   #34
mxcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Is this ride o.k. on a 650 V-Strom ?
Should be okay on a V-Strom for the most part,, only concern might be the road construction section if it's raining. Word is that they're gonna start putting gravel on it soon.
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #35
DCrider
Live from THE Hill

Oddometer: 3,947
check out stuntheavy's TAT RR, he has pics of the Tatham Gap slide from passing by there in May
http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=144

Old 09-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #36
RichardD
Gnarly Adventurer

?

Is Beaver Creek more v-strom friendly than Tatham Gap ?
Old 09-03-2013, 03:24 AM   #37
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD View Post
Is Beaver Creek more v-strom friendly than Tatham Gap ?
its not bad, longer....18 miles of gravel with the last 1/2 mile of fs road being rough enuff that you wouldn't want to drive your car on it but a m/c should be fine depending on your skill level, traveling from Andrews to Rville this section is downhill so you should be ok, the problem with Tatham gap is the gate on the Andrews side, I ride a WR250R and its a little tricky to go around it and a mistake would mean a lot of work to get it back on the road
Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 AM   #38
RichardD
Gnarly Adventurer

!

Thank You !
Old 09-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #39
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Oddometer: 1,436
Hey, just for my own curiosity, has anyone ridden Snowbird from Robbinsville until it runs out ontop of the bald ?

How would the cool kids rate the final climb ?
AJay112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #40
hangingdog hillbilly
Moonshiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJay112 View Post
Hey, just for my own curiosity, has anyone ridden Snowbird from Robbinsville until it runs out ontop of the bald ?

How would the cool kids rate the final climb ?
I haven't but a friend said it gets pretty rough near the top, he was on a DRZ with street tires
Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #41
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by hangingdog hillbilly View Post
I haven't but a friend said it gets pretty rough near the top, he was on a DRZ with street tires

Just trying to get a feel for how capable we (2 Up with the wife) would be at one of the organized dual sport rides. We treat Parsons Branch Road (out of Cades Cove) as a "special test", jumping the water bars etc. Lookout Tower Road off 126 is a hoot as well.

I raced off-road (hare scrambles, enduro, some MX when it was still fun) for many years, the wife raced a few seasons as well. Yes, we ride a KLR, it is set up for our weight which TOTALLY transforms the bike.

We still enjoy the gravel but want to dip our toes a little deeper into the Dual Sport world, again just trying to get a feel for how "technical" technical is at a dual sport ride.

AJay112 screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 01:19 PM
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #42
mxcr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Just trying to get a feel for how capable we (2 Up with the wife) would be at one of the organized dual sport rides. We treat Parsons Branch Road (out of Cades Cove) as a "special test", jumping the water bars etc. Lookout Tower Road off 126 is a hoot as well.

I raced off-road (hare scrambles, enduro, some MX when it was still fun) for many years, the wife raced a few seasons as well. Yes, we ride a KLR, it is set up for our weight which TOTALLY transforms the bike.

We still enjoy the gravel but want to dip our toes a little deeper into the Dual Sport world, again just trying to get a feel for how "technical" technical is at a dual sport ride.
Might want to make a trip over to Hiawassee GA and do the Hightower, Charlies's Creek run,, complete with a Tallulah River crossing..
mxcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #43
Al Goodwin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,261
Quote:

My wife and I ride 2-up on some organized dual-sport rides....never had an issue with a trail/fs-road being too rough. If the ride includes a really rough section, normally, there is an alternate route.

Good luck....Oh, we ride a KLR as well.
'04 Honda XR400
'76 Yamaha TY250
Al Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:18 PM   #44
AJay112 OP
AJay112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
Good luck....Oh, we ride a KLR as well.
I've ALWAYS liked you AL !

Whenever I post a "Hey, will you show me some trails" plea on a message board I think I should post some pics of the old tropy wall and a couple of the Zombie Response KLR.

EDIT: You have a KLR, TY AND an SV ? I think our bio-mom must have kept you and sold me to the carneys that raised me ! Never could come up with the cash for the Laverda but did a bunch of window shopping as a teen.

RE-EDIT... have some "quality" Moose 100 GP time on an XR 400. Ran out of fork oil and then shortly thereafter... skill. Top 30 maybe? I think I beat Chuck Sun that year.

AJay112 screwed with this post 09-03-2013 at 03:24 PM
Old 09-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #45
FZeno1
Tipping over pro

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Goodwin View Post
From 129/74/19 in Andrews, turn onto Beaver Creek road...Ride this road to the dead-end, then turn around, turn into the driveway of the first house on the left, go between the house and wood-shed/barn. or whatever you'd call it.

This road isn't on Google maps, but I PROMISE this road connects to Little Snowbird...I've had this argument a few times.

This IS the FINEST dirtroad I have EVER ridden....FANTASTIC !!!!!!

This road has a name, but I damn sure can't remember it......sorry.

If you're coming from Little Snowbird you have to turn left across the bridge into someones driveway, or so it seems....then follow it around.

You'll ride through a narrow gap in the mountain, JUST wide enough for a truck, very rocky....if you find this then you're on the right road.

The road has one sign notating it's name, and it's just prior to the narrow gap....I've looked and looked on-line and have NEVER found this road named, or even lined out as a road on any map source.

This IS NOT an easy road to find. Maybe this helps...It's worth the search...I PROMISE.
This sounds awesome!

Some buddies and myself are leaving tomorrow morning early for Deal Gap area and all we are bringing a dualsports. This is going to have to make the list. We will be there through Tuesday. We got a few DRZ's, XR650L, and a Wee-strom.

If anyone is in the area and would liek to get a little dirty let me know.

Thanks

Austin