User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 535
Houston BC to Vanderhoof via Ootsa Lake

Thanks for all the help with my other posts requesting route info – here’s another one!

Starting in Houston BC, Morice Rvr Rd south, Morice Owen FS Rd, then along Ootsa/Natalkux Lakes via Wisteria HiWay, Ootsa Lake Rd, Morrila Rd, DeerHorn Rd to 500 Rd, to Nechake Canyon/Kenney Dam Rd into Vanderhoof BC. Again, any comments will be appreciated. Oh ya - any gas along this route?

Thanks

arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM   #2
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Nobody!?

I can't be the first one thru this area!!!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
kegonlegs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
About a couple weeks ago went from Vanderhoof to Quesnel,i went down blackwater road to Bobtail lake then got on the Telegraph trail to Punchaw lake and into Quesnel on the Blackwater.You might consider this also as it seems your riding everywhere.Also carried on down the West side of Fraser to Gang Ranch and on to Clinton,all fun.
kegonlegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kegonlegs View Post
About a couple weeks ago went from Vanderhoof to Quesnel,i went down blackwater road to Bobtail lake then got on the Telegraph trail to Punchaw lake and into Quesnel on the Blackwater.You might consider this also as it seems your riding everywhere.Also carried on down the West side of Fraser to Gang Ranch and on to Clinton,all fun.
Thanks, sounds like a good route.

Overall I'm traveling from Prince Rupert to Cranbrook. Right now my plans are to generally follow/parallel RT 16 east/south to Rt 5, cut south to Revelstoke then over to Cranbrook.

From what I see on my Backroads maps, the back/gravel/dirt roads which will get me to Rt 16 are limited southeast of Prince George - the last one getting to RT 16 just east of Sugarbowl PP. Thus I'm questioning whether or not I want head south towards Quesnel on the backs roads and then turn back north to get back to Rt 16.

I'm travelling RT 16 since I've never been to Jasper - I'll probably take RT 16 to YellowHead Pass then turn back to Rt 5 and then head to Cranbook. Everyone tells me I need to do Rt 16 to see the mountains near Jasper.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:48 PM   #5
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,380
I just came back from up there....not a lot of gravel but some. Took a while to find someone local that finally told me I should be OK with "that" bike on "that" road.Talk to the locals up there, that's all I can say.

But going to Jasper then backtracking to Hwy5, if you want to see "them" mountains and more you should consider heading south from Jasper on 93 then 93/95.

And you should ignore Hwy 5...5A is the one you want to ride.

And when up there, don't miss the Nisga'a Highway out of Terrace. Gotta go to Gingolx.Aiyansh to Cranberry Junction/Hwy37 the road is good but I just did not have the time to check the rest down to Kispiox/old Hazelton on gravel from Cranberry Junction.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
Tropic-Of-Canada
Thread Derailleur

Oddometer: 838
I'd like to say how god awful Hwy 37 is on tires! I burned my front tire bald on the way back from my Inuvik trip in no time on this stretch. Between the Hwy 37/Alaska Hwy junction and Kitwanga, I went from about 60% to hitting the wear bars on my D606 tire.

Good highway to ride, but bloody seal coat! It's like sharp gravel glued in place!
Tropic-Of-Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
Thanks, sounds like a good route.

Overall I'm traveling from Prince Rupert to Cranbrook. Right now my plans are to generally follow/parallel RT 16 east/south to Rt 5, cut south to Revelstoke then over to Cranbrook.

From what I see on my Backroads maps, the back/gravel/dirt roads which will get me to Rt 16 are limited southeast of Prince George - the last one getting to RT 16 just east of Sugarbowl PP. Thus I'm questioning whether or not I want head south towards Quesnel on the backs roads and then turn back north to get back to Rt 16.

I'm travelling RT 16 since I've never been to Jasper - I'll probably take RT 16 to YellowHead Pass then turn back to Rt 5 and then head to Cranbook. Everyone tells me I need to do Rt 16 to see the mountains near Jasper.
Follow H96669 suggestion! I lived at Tete Jaune Cache, junction of 16/5, and his suggestion from Jasper to take the Ice Field south to Lake Louise and then maybe hang a right through Golden to Cranbrook . #5 from say Valemount south is nothing compared to the Ice Field highway.
Me 2 cents
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #8
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
Follow H96669 suggestion! I lived at Tete Jaune Cache, junction of 16/5, and his suggestion from Jasper to take the Ice Field south to Lake Louise and then maybe hang a right through Golden to Cranbrook . #5 from say Valemount south is nothing compared to the Ice Field highway.
Me 2 cents
Kootenay Park across to Radium Hot Springs is what I did last time. Somewhat later after supper so the road was deserted. Busy however in Radium etc...all the motels/campgrounds were full. Had to make it to Canal Flats of all places,,for a rather expensive and not very good campground. But still safer than riding down to Kimberley in the dark, watch out LOTS of deer that way.

Talking campgrounds....there is a good one in McBride, the owners ride so they understand us. Nice people and I told her I'd give her a little reference. $21.00 to camp on real grass and hot showers/Wifi.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:40 AM   #9
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

West out of Invermere?

Does anyone know of a route that I can take West out of Invermere and get to Route 31? Maybe over Jumbo pass?
Old 08-26-2013, 08:13 AM   #10
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrcrussell View Post
Does anyone know of a route that I can take West out of Invermere and get to Route 31? Maybe over Jumbo pass?
I really don't think there is such a road, quite a few large obstacles in the way.

Jumbo's new mayor may know or eventually push for a road that way.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
I really don't think there is such a road, quite a few large obstacles in the way.

Jumbo's new mayor may know or eventually push for a road that way.
Dang, roads from both sides come up from both sides ( at least per the map), had hoped an unmarked road was available Oh well. Leave Thursday for a 2 week adventure thru BC!!! Anticipation is killing me!!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Thursday...I'll be in Rupert. I hope the weather gets better, not so nice here right now and cloudy all the way West. Couldn't even see the shore earlier.I turned back at PG last year did not want to repeat a very miserable ride from years ago in pouring rain along the Skeena.

For the Kootenays,if you want to go across on gravel check out the Greys Creek pass, then you'll have to take the free ferry across Kootenay Lake and up 31. The paved part up to Meadow Creek from Kaslo is quite nice, you may even see the goats I came upon them in a blind curve earlier this year....12-15 of them.Good thing I always expect the wildlife around here.

Good free camping at Gerrard if you wish, mind the bear signs that road is a good place to see them guys.Yes they could be Grizzlies I have the pic to prove it.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Quote:
... if you want to go across on gravel check out the Greys Creek pass ....
I want ! but I can't find it! Can you elaborate ?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!
Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 PM   #14
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

There you go...should point you in the right direction. Sorry about the unnecessary chaff in that thread from earlier this year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...360569&page=16
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
arrcrussell OP
Gimme Dirt

Quote:
There you go...should point you in the right direction. Sorry about the unnecessary chaff in that thread from earlier this year.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...360569&page=16

Thanks, got that route mapped out!

Any gravel on the west side of Kaslo as alternate to Rt 31, from the Arrow Lake Ferry to Kaslo? If not which route from the ferry to Kaslo - rt 31 or Rt23/6 and over at New Denver?