User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
2002 lc4 wet oily rear rim

Hello. My ole bike has 51k on her and have been noticing my rear rim gets oiled up without me doing the chain. Haven't pulled the sprocket cover off yet but I'm thinking its the drive shaft seal leaking. I know there is a thread here, but is this a bitch to repair? I rely on her every day to drive to work.
Thx, DM
drmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,411
Replacing the counter shaft seal is easy. Clean the shaft and the area around the seal with a tooth brush and a can of brake clean. Get an ice pick and drive it in to the seal and pry the seal out. Apply some oil to the new seal and tap it back in place. Make sure that it's flat across and doesn't have one side in deeper than the other. Your done!

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Replacing the counter shaft seal is easy. Clean the shaft and the area around the seal with a tooth brush and a can of brake clean. Get an ice pick and drive it in to the seal and pry the seal out. Apply some oil to the new seal and tap it back in place. Make sure that it's flat across and doesn't have one side in deeper than the other. Your done!
Cool, I'll take that cover off now and make sure that is the deal. Then order a seal (which I'm sure the freight will be more than the seal) then report back. Thx from Indianapolis....DM
Old 08-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,989
There is a 90% chance that it is not the seal that is leaking but rather the silicone O-ring that sits inside the bushing... Before you go tearing the seal out look at the condition of this O-ring, it is simple to change...
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck View Post
There is a 90% chance that it is not the seal that is leaking but rather the silicone O-ring that sits inside the bushing... Before you go tearing the seal out look at the condition of this O-ring, it is simple to change...
Are the seal and o-ring easily found on an IPC? I'll just order those along with the smaller particle oil filter metal gasket, as it has never been changed and is seeping a bit. Thx, DM
Old 08-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #6
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmax View Post
Are the seal and o-ring easily found on an IPC? I'll just order those along with the smaller particle oil filter metal gasket, as it has never been changed and is seeping a bit. Thx, DM
The O ring is made of silicone and is 2mm x 25MM, they are about $2 each through KTM, part # 0770 250021...
I change this o-ring every time I replace the C-sprocket... As for the seal, I've run them for 50,000 KM with no leaks...
Old 08-21-2013, 07:23 PM   #7
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The O ring is made of silicone and is 2mm x 25MM, they are about $2 each through KTM, part # 0770 250021...
I change this o-ring every time I replace the C-sprocket... As for the seal, I've run them for 50,000 KM with no leaks...
The picture I found seems to show the oring you speak of, behind the shaft seal ring with the other fella said to change. You saying this $2 oring is just picked out, under the drive sprocket? I may order up that larger seal, if it ain't too pricey. It does have 51K on it. It must be coming from this area, but it isn't making it to the engine case...it must be just getting to the sprocket and flinging off of it.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

spring/screw over sprocket

After all these years I never replaced the screw/spring that goes on lastly, on front sprocket. Is it necessary to change this item out? part
Old 08-21-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
After all these years I never replaced the screw/spring that goes on lastly, on front sprocket. Is it necessary to change this item out? part
I don't change the spring washer every time I swap the sprocket, more like every 2nd or 3rd time... I'll take the old spring washer and set it round side down inside a 1 1/4" socket and then use a ball peen hammer as a drift to add some spring flare back to the washer...

At 51 K it wouldn't hurt to replace all the seal components, this would be the case seal, the bushing along with the O-Ring...
Old 08-22-2013, 04:35 AM   #10
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I don't change the spring washer every time I swap the sprocket, more like every 2nd or 3rd time... I'll take the old spring washer and set it round side down inside a 1 1/4" socket and then use a ball peen hammer as a drift to add some spring flare back to the washer...

At 51 K it wouldn't hurt to replace all the seal components, this would be the case seal, the bushing along with the O-Ring...
Ah, that's what me thinx too. Is this a pita getting this stuff out? If you have any advice, please let me know. I'm gonna order up this stuff. Thx, DM
PS. ouch, that bushing was salty...$15. (yep I'm cheap)

drmax screwed with this post 08-22-2013 at 04:46 AM
Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,811
51K on a Lc4 and just now putting a Countershaft seal in.

That's quite a run.
Old 08-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #12
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

This seal (not the oring) is only design to keep oil in and dirt out, right? It's not meant to support this shaft in any way, is it? Can someone tell me what kind of problems I'm gonna have getting this oring, seal and bushing out? Why would it be necessary to replace the bushing? I just ride her and change the oil and only do mx when necessary. (adjust the valves every 10K) Thx gents. DM
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #13
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
This seal (not the oring) is only design to keep oil in and dirt out, right? It's not meant to support this shaft in any way, is it? Can someone tell me what kind of problems I'm gonna have getting this oring, seal and bushing out? Why would it be necessary to replace the bushing? I just ride her and change the oil and only do mx when necessary. (adjust the valves every 10K) Thx gents. DM
Changing that seal is relatively easy... You can inspect the bushing and make the call whether to replace it... What happens is that over time the seal will cut a groove into the bushing...

Here is good how to thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102920
Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
drmax OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Changing that seal is relatively easy... You can inspect the bushing and make the call whether to replace it... What happens is that over time the seal will cut a groove into the bushing...

Here is good how to thread: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102920
Gunner, I'm not sitting here with the bike in front of me...uh, so I don't have to drain the oil for this, do I? I'm thinking not. I just don't want a mess. Thx bro as I'm preplanning my excursion. DM
Old 08-22-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
gunnerbuck
Island Hopper

Quote:
Gunner, I'm not sitting here with the bike in front of me...uh, so I don't have to drain the oil for this, do I? I'm thinking not. I just don't want a mess. Thx bro as I'm preplanning my excursion. DM
No worries about the oil leaking out, but it will still be messy as you will want to clean all the grunge away from the sprocket area to avoid getting debris inside the seal upon reassembly...